GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

oklahomaAOII 07-05-2010 08:05 PM

I had several weird things that happened to me during rush last year.

The house I was at is sadly stereotyped as being a house that only gets "fat girls" to pledge (which isn't true at all). At this house, we were watching a skit that was based on the Legally Blonde musical and a girl was singing a song that had a line in it like "This dress is just my size!" As soon as she sang this, one girl stood up (we were sitting on bleachers) and yelled out "YEAH! HUGE!" and walked out of the house. We were all shocked. I'm pretty sure she didn't get a bid anywhere because we had to attend every rush party in order to participate in the next day and since she walked out, she forfeited that next day.

Our Panhellenic council did an AWFUL job about informing us what rush infractions really were. There was just a small disclaimer in the back of the Pan booklet. We didn't understand many of the terms like "hotboxing," but since so little space was devoted to the subject and since no one ever talked about it at our assemblies, everyone assumed that the houses must pretty much played by the rules. We were so wrong.

At one house, I had 5 girls talking to only me at the same time for the ENTIRE party. I was SUPER intimidated, but figured that stuff like that was just normal.

At another house, the girl who was rushing me pulled me over a bleacher step and I ended up falling on top of her. Then, she led me over to some of her sisters to talk, and I had 4 girls talking to me at once. They kept getting closer and closer and I ended up being backed into a closet. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Also, almost every single house said "See you tomorrow!" as you were leaving.

Probably the worst story comes from about 12 of my sisters' experiences. They all had this certain house on day 3 and pref night. On day 3, they took a picture with the girl who was rushing them. On pref night, these pictures were printed and put in picture frames. The girl who was rushing them would pick up the picture they had taken, sit down, start crying, and say things like, "I can't wait for you to be a XYZ!" "I want you to be my Little!" "You are going to be such a good XYZ!" "I can't wait to hang out with you on Bid Day!" etc. This made the rushees very emotional and so excited to be XYZs. But they were cut that night and left to pledge their second choice. So many of my sisters had the EXACT same story about this and were so upset about it.

When we started going through rush training was when we realized how wrong this stuff was. We were outraged, but figured that it was too late to tell our Panhellenic Council what had happened. I really wish that they would stop this dirty rushing on our campus and stop doing things that can really hurt, intimidate, and embarrass rushees.

I think there was a reason that I ended up pledging the only sorority that committed no rush infractions that year.

33girl 07-05-2010 11:16 PM

Your story was amusing until you got to the super bitchy last sentence. You might want to edit it as it makes you and your chapter look rather bitter and holier-than-thou.

:)

twinkle555 07-06-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oklahomaAOII (Post 1950837)
I had several weird things that happened to me during rush last year.

The house I was at is sadly stereotyped as being a house that only gets "fat girls" to pledge (which isn't true at all). At this house, we were watching a skit that was based on the Legally Blonde musical and a girl was singing a song that had a line in it like "This dress is just my size!" As soon as she sang this, one girl stood up (we were sitting on bleachers) and yelled out "YEAH! HUGE!" and walked out of the house. We were all shocked. I'm pretty sure she didn't get a bid anywhere because we had to attend every rush party in order to participate in the next day and since she walked out, she forfeited that next day.

:eek:WOW.what a bee-otch!

Jill1228 07-16-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinkle555 (Post 1950949)
:eek:WOW.what a bee-otch!

you are being kind. I had another word in mind. It's a word I don't use because I think it is beyond vulgar. However, it would be justifiable in her case!

(yes, I am talking about the C word) :p

ucsbgirl 07-16-2010 11:40 AM

This doesn't have to do with rush, but when I was narrowing down which college to attend this fall, I went to several Open Houses for the schools I was seriously considering. At one of them, part of the Greek Life info session had a tour of one of the school's houses, with a bunch of actives there just talking about who they are and what they do, talking to girls who might go through rush next year, showing people around the house, etc.

Well, most people were there with their parents, and one of the couples were taking pictures of like the entire house AND the actives and making their daughter take pictures with them saying things like "Pose with your future sisters!" etc. They were so over the top! It was kind of bizarre...

IrishLake 07-16-2010 12:04 PM

Weird! Maybe she was a legacy to that chapter? Odd regardless!

ucsbgirl 07-16-2010 12:34 PM

Still! My mom was a member of a sorority at that school, and I'm under the impression that it's fairly competitive. She was appalled. Haha. The actual sisters seemed so uncomfortable.

33girl 07-16-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsbgirl (Post 1955522)
Still! My mom was a member of a sorority at that school, and I'm under the impression that it's fairly competitive. She was appalled. Haha. The actual sisters seemed so uncomfortable.

OMG. That poor girl is probably already known as "the paparazzi's daughter" or something of the sort. Sometimes I think parents really DO know when they're doing effed up stuff like this and it's some sort of backwards way to kill their kid's social life.

aephi alum 07-16-2010 05:08 PM

Or the parents might just be ignorant about greek life, and think a sorority is like a club where all you have to do to join is sign up. "Wouldn't it be great if our little girl signed up for XYZ sorority? Then she'd get to call all these nice young women her sisters!"

Was the daughter as into it as her parents were, or was she rolling her eyes and giving off a "mom, dad, would you PLEASE cut it out?" vibe?

Either way, the story has no doubt gotten around to all the chapters there, so if she did choose to go to school there, she's gonna have a tough time with recruitment.

LionTamer 07-17-2010 10:55 AM

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I would think that if the girl comes through recruitment, and takes the president or recruitment chair aside and apologizes for her parents' behavior ("I am so sorry for that scene at Open House. My parents are great, and well-intentioned, but sometimes they go sort of overboard" - eyeroll - "but anyway, I hope you won't hold their camera obsession against me. Now, I have a question about your philanthropy. Do you actually get to work at the Special Olympics, or do you just raise money for it (or some other innocuous question)"

Everyone that age understands that even the best parent can be embarrassing sometimes, and as long as the daughter disassociates herself from the behavior without demeaning them, I'll bet people would be willing to cut her some slack. But I may be naive....

jennyj87 07-17-2010 12:46 PM

My friend is an orientation leader and told me a very sad story. On the 2nd day of orientation all of the schools clubs put on a sort of clubs and organization fair.
A girl who African american (of color, back, i dont know what the PC term is right now.) girl came up to the panhellenic table and was asking questions. One of the rho gammas goes "oh no honey you want that table" and pointed to her to NPHC table.

Great job picking those Rho Gammas this year vpm (i'm not bitter or anything hahaha).

Psi U MC Vito 07-17-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyj87 (Post 1955883)
My friend is an orientation leader and told me a very sad story. On the 2nd day of orientation all of the schools clubs put on a sort of clubs and organization fair.
A girl who African american (of color, back, i dont know what the PC term is right now.) girl came up to the panhellenic table and was asking questions. One of the rho gammas goes "oh no honey you want that table" and pointed to her to NPHC table.

Great job picking those Rho Gammas this year vpm (i'm not bitter or anything hahaha).

:eek::eek::eek:

AlphaFrog 07-17-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

http://kinialohaguy.files.wordpress....04/wtf-cat.jpg

ETA: Giving the benefit of the doubt - could her questions have been things like "When do you guys take your first line of the year?" or "Can I do the step-show if I'm just a pledge?". (PS, I suck at coming up with NPHC questions, but you get the idea...)

jennyj87 07-17-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1955892)
http://kinialohaguy.files.wordpress....04/wtf-cat.jpg

ETA: Giving the benefit of the doubt - could her questions have been things like "When do you guys take your first line of the year?" or "Can I do the step-show if I'm just a pledge?". (PS, I suck at coming up with NPHC questions, but you get the idea...)

I wish but I know the Rho Gamma and its not that surprising. :(
I know that the OL talked to the girl (the PNM) and the panhellenic VP was informed.

AOII Angel 07-17-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

This girl just fails at life. What a close minded, little person. She should just hand in her human card right then and there.