GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sigma Alpha Iota (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   SAI hand sign (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=90619)

LovelySAILaura 09-30-2007 01:24 AM

SAI hand sign

Has anyone else seen this yet?! I love it! PM for details b/c our PO showed us and I'm not keen on posting the details here :D

AlwaysSAI 09-30-2007 10:54 PM

I have heard about it and I know a proposal went to NH at the last convention, but I don't know what the decision was. I know how to do it, but due to not knowing the decision on it, I never use it.

LovelySAILaura 09-30-2007 11:25 PM

Nationals has said that they cannot approve it as part of our symbols (like the crest and the rose) however they have given permission for us to use it and share it! PM for details!

Deb Volker, the National VPR (an alumnae of my chapter) visited last spring during Province Day and taught all of us. It is so cute!

ReddestRose1903 05-19-2008 07:10 PM

i love the handsign, we saw it in the fall edition of the panpipes. we use it all the time in pictures :-)

SAI 04-20-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovelySAILaura (Post 1530674)
Has anyone else seen this yet?! I love it! PM for details b/c our PO showed us and I'm not keen on posting the details here :D

Hey, I just got initiated...I was wondering if I can know the hand sign?

CuriousWildcat 04-28-2009 11:05 PM

I am forwarding you a PM with the details! :)

clarinette 08-29-2010 05:19 PM

Can you please PM me the hand sign as well, CuriousWildcat? Thanks!

Arabella 04-19-2012 07:17 PM

I would like a message with the details of this hand sign!!

DeltaBetaBaby 04-19-2012 09:22 PM

You have a secret hand sign? I'm confused; what is its purpose?

clarinette 04-20-2012 11:38 AM

It's secret; we can't talk about it.

MysticCat 04-23-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2139845)
You have a secret hand sign? I'm confused; what is its purpose?

I think that some fraternal groups have hand signs that are not something used publically as a "shout out" kind of thing, but rather are used in the context of ritual, or as a further means of identification in a non-public context.

DeltaBetaBaby 04-23-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2140746)
I think that some fraternal groups have hand signs that are not something used publically as a "shout out" kind of thing, but rather are used in the context of ritual, or as a further means of identification in a non-public context.

Yes, I know that's the case, but this is not an official thing, as they mentioned, so I was thinking it's not ritual. I guess it could be an unofficial challenge or something of that sort.

In any case, I stand by the opinion I've expressed in other threads: white girls throwing up hand signs in pictures is dumb.

MysticCat 04-23-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2140801)
. . . but this is not an official thing, as they mentioned, so I was thinking it's not ritual. . .

Somehow I misread and thought it had been adopted as official. My bad. Carry on.

I2K Beta Mu 04-23-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2140746)

I feel you. This is true. I don't know how it is with other organizations, but that's generally in a nutshell how it is with my frat. It's more to it than that, but it's still part of the identification process.

AlwaysSAI 04-23-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2140801)
Yes, I know that's the case, but this is not an official thing, as they mentioned, so I was thinking it's not ritual. I guess it could be an unofficial challenge or something of that sort.

In any case, I stand by the opinion I've expressed in other threads: white girls throwing up hand signs in pictures is dumb.

The hand-sign is not a part of our ritual or any of our official symbols and is not secret. While SAI is not a multicultural sorority in name, we have many chapters on HBCU campuses and I think the hand sign and call (which we also have) is more prevalent amongst those chapters.