GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Resigning From Organization then Joining Another? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=227474)

TheBklynWriter 03-21-2017 03:50 AM

Resigning From Organization then Joining Another?

What are everyone's thoughts on people resigning from one organization and then joining another?

I do not see any conversations about it anywhere so I thought I would bring it up.

I personally know about 10-15 people that went from a Local to NPHC, from NIC/NPC to NPHC, etc.

Opinions? Is there ever a good reason? Also, would you ever consider someone who resigned from one organization if they were a "perfect candidate" (perfect is defined as exactly what you would be looking for)?

Titchou 03-21-2017 06:50 AM

It depends on many things. If one has been initiated in an NPC org, you are not allowed to join another NPC org ever. A local may be inclined to take you as most don't have this rule. NPHC groups also have rules against taking previous members of NIC or NPC groups. Other councils have varying rules.

Do some campuses/chapters ignore the rules? Sure. But one can't be sure that will have. As the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Kevin 03-21-2017 08:44 AM

My organization would not consider anyone who was initiated into any other college fraternity. The only exception is the initiation of members in locals which we colonize. I can't speak for NPHC groups. I can tell you I've poked around a few of their websites and you can fill out an interest form online. Be honest about your NIC experience and see how many respond to you. If one does, their new member criteria are their own concern.

If the NPHC organization allows new members who are former members of an NIC group, fine. If not, then your relationship with this new organization is based upon a lie. I stand by my previous advice in that you can still be a valuable member to your NIC group. You made a promise. That should count for something.

TheBklynWriter 03-21-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2429244)
My organization would not consider anyone who was initiated into any other college fraternity. The only exception is the initiation of members in locals which we colonize. I can't speak for NPHC groups. I can tell you I've poked around a few of their websites and you can fill out an interest form online. Be honest about your NIC experience and see how many respond to you. If one does, their new member criteria are their own concern.

If the NPHC organization allows new members who are former members of an NIC group, fine. If not, then your relationship with this new organization is based upon a lie. I stand by my previous advice in that you can still be a valuable member to your NIC group. You made a promise. That should count for something.

Oh this is no reference to my previous post. I've made the decision to not leave. I will instead continue to make my organization better and teach my chapter to be more tolerant and well-rounded people.

It is not necessarily what "I" want to do but I realize that this isn't about "I" it's about them and I will continue to do all I can for them.

This was more so a general topic starter because it happens ALOT

Sen's Revenge 03-21-2017 04:47 PM

Alpha Phi Alpha does not allow that.

Brothers who knowingly allow their friends to do that are trash. You will probably be expelled from the fraternity if it is discovered that you helped an ineligible candidate make it through.

naraht 03-23-2017 08:44 AM

Socials vs non-socials.

In *general*, I believe that the groups which would be called social including those described as ethnically social care, but *most* others don't (not sure about the music fraternity groupings).

My rule of thumb among non-locals is that if group A would accept someone who was an active member of group B, then it would accept someone who had resigned from group B *and* vice versa.

Kevin 03-23-2017 08:53 AM

I think YMMV with music fraternities. I'm a member of an NIC group, but had a music scholarship in college, so I existed in that world as well. I believe we had some dual members in music fraternities and NIC/NPC groups, but I'm not sure whether anyone telephoned the home office of any of those groups.

naraht 03-25-2017 09:13 AM

Let's turn this around (more or less). Does anyone know of any two single-sex Greek Letter Organizations that one can belong to simultaneously?

Xidelt 03-25-2017 09:39 PM

Gamma Sigma Sigma and an NPC org, if the woman could handle the time commitments of the two groups.

Kevin 03-25-2017 11:36 PM

I've seen dual memberships in NIC/NPC and music fraternities.

A friend of mine is an alumna of Alpha Gamma Delta and Sigma Alpha Iota.

naraht 03-26-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xidelt (Post 2429465)
Gamma Sigma Sigma and an NPC org, if the woman could handle the time commitments of the two groups.

Gamma Sigma Sigma is not women only. It had to go co-ed just like Alpha Phi Omega. They refer to their male members informally as "mister sisters". I believe some chapters are still all women though.

33girl 03-26-2017 11:23 AM

That also depends a LOT on the campus and how "social" the GSS chapter is. I mean technically you always could, but technically you can do a lot of things that don't happen in practice.

clemsongirl 03-26-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2429479)
Gamma Sigma Sigma is not women only. It had to go co-ed just like Alpha Phi Omega. They refer to their male members informally as "mister sisters". I believe some chapters are still all women though.

Same thing with Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma, the music service fraternity and sorority. On some campuses, like my undergrad, there's only one and that's the one everyone joins regardless of their gender. At other schools, they self-segregate by gender. Both of these also allow dual membership in a social GLO as far as I know.

naraht 03-26-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2429481)
That also depends a LOT on the campus and how "social" the GSS chapter is. I mean technically you always could, but technically you can do a lot of things that don't happen in practice.

True. Theoretically APO and GSS should be in similar situations, but I wonder how much the fact that APO had 13 of 14 founders as members of Social Fraternities affected things. I have no idea how many of the women in the 7 founding chapters of Gamma Sigma Sigma were also in Social Sororities.

suebarton 03-26-2017 09:53 PM

I'm a Gamma Sig alum from the 60's. We always had members from social sororities. Some of them were very active - even to the extent of holding high officer positions such as service vice president and pledge trainer.