GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2018/2019 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243690)

shadokat 06-08-2018 02:14 PM

No, I just heard someone talking about it, and they pointed out that the chapter is no longer on the Phi Mu national site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2456891)
Did anyone floating the rumors indicate when this happened? I follow Onward State on Facebook, and they're usually on top of Greek chapter closings.

Paging als463...

shadokat 06-08-2018 02:46 PM

Just looked at that other greek website, and it says that IHQ closed them due to numbers, but they are appealing, and that it was on the Penn State Greek Parents website, whatever that is.

GreekOne 06-09-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadokat (Post 2456962)
Just looked at that other greek website, and it says that IHQ closed them due to numbers, but they are appealing, and that it was on the Penn State Greek Parents website, whatever that is.

@shadokat, the PSU Greek Parents website is a Facebook group comprised of parents of current GLO members at PSU. It was formed after Tim Piazza's death as a forum for us to share experiences and work together to help our kids. There was a lengthy discussion about Phi Mu's situation there. My understanding is exactly as you said, they have struggled with recruitment. Their numbers were very low after the seniors graduated. Their National HQ advised them they are closing the chapter. The remaining members are trying to appeal.

LaneSig 06-11-2018 04:08 PM

The Delta Sigma Phi chapter has been closed at the University of Alabama. Closure is due to RMF.

PKT4LIFE 06-14-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE (Post 2456771)
Per another greek interaction website, TriSig and DPhiE presented at Union College.

Per the UC FSL FB page, Theta Phi Alpha also presented. No decision yet.

https://www.facebook.com/uniongreeks

LaneSig 06-15-2018 04:03 PM

Two closures, both due to RMF:

Phi Kappa Psi at Ohio State University (4 year minimum)

Sigma Phi Epsilon at Quinnipiac University(CT) (2 year minimum)

LaneSig 06-22-2018 12:36 PM

West Virginia University has suspended 4 fraternities. Phi Sigma Kappa and Sigma Alpha Mu have been suspended until Fall 2020. Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) and Pi Kappa Alpha have been suspended indefinitely.

Below is a list of WVU's fraternities and the actions for all after last semester's investigations.

https://greeklife.wvu.edu/chapter-st...summit-results

LaneSig 06-25-2018 03:41 PM

Sigma Chi has closed the University of Pittsburgh(PA) chapter. Closure is due to violations of fraternity policies and failure to adhere to the pledge program.

PKT4LIFE 06-25-2018 10:38 PM

Per our website, we have added the following expansions for the 2018-19 school year:

Fall '18 Penn State (Omicron), recharter
Spring '19 Texas Tech

GoldBows 06-27-2018 07:00 PM

DPhiE will be colonizing at Union College this fall, as per the announcement on Twitter.

ASTalumna06 06-28-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE (Post 2457394)
Per our website, we have added the following expansions for the 2018-19 school year:

Fall '18 Penn State (Omicron), recharter
Spring '19 Texas Tech

For how long has this been in the works? I'm surprised that the fraternity would want to recharter with the current climate what it is at Penn State, and I'm equally surprised that the community would want to take on another Greek org.

PKT4LIFE 06-28-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2457445)
For how long has this been in the works? I'm surprised that the fraternity would want to recharter with the current climate what it is at Penn State, and I'm equally surprised that the community would want to take on another Greek org.

Our return has been in the works for a while. We were given a return time by the FSL when our chapter closed a few years ago. There are 4 other fraternities that are eligible to return Fallí18. Single letter chapter, we still own the mansion and powerful alumni, play a significant role. I guess all eyes will be on us as we are the first fraternity to colonize post GL restructuring.

ASTalumna06 06-29-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE (Post 2457446)
Our return has been in the works for a while. We were given a return time by the FSL when our chapter closed a few years ago. There are 4 other fraternities that are eligible to return Fallí18. Single letter chapter, we still own the mansion and powerful alumni, play a significant role. I guess all eyes will be on us as we are the first fraternity to colonize post GL restructuring.

Ah, makes sense. Good luck to the chapter!

LaneSig 06-29-2018 01:13 PM

The Delta Upsilon chapter at the University of Washington has been closed due to RMF. The chapter had been on suspension since Fall 2017.

The Kappa Sigma chapter at Texas State University has declined to accept the new university rules. The chapter has withdrawn from the campus IFC and will no longer be recognized by the university. The chapter will continue to operate as an off-campus organization.

https://star.txstate.edu/2018/06/fra...-are-instated/

PGD-GRAD 06-29-2018 05:33 PM

^^^ I’m always curious when a chapter moves “off campus” and is still recognized by their Hdqtrs. Does this affect their ability to get insurance since they are no longer under the guidelines of the university and its risk-mgt. guidelines?
When field reps visit chapters, the Greek advisor or dean gives them an evaluation of the chapter, their official GPA, etc. All that can be applied to their chapter standing with their Hdqtrs. including awards and scholarships. And can sororities still pair with non-recognized groups for campus events?
Maybe I’m reading too much into these situations—and I know campus guidelines are often a pain in the ass—but is cutting yourself loose a valid idea?