GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

TigerOwl 09-25-2005 10:50 AM

Ding, ding, ding! We have a WINNER! Each story gets better and better!

Lindz928 09-26-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lilsunshine214
I have one from yesterday. Not weird, but definitely rude!

2nd party is philanthropy day and we had some markers and paper set out for the PNMs to make a craft. One woman took a piece of paper and a marker and wrote out her top three list of sororities right in front of me! For the rest of the party her arms were crossed. When any sister tried to engage her in conversation, she ignored them or blew them off!

Personally, I believe that when a PNM acts like this, you have every right to turn and talk to someone else and ignore her. How unbelievably rude.

kddani 09-26-2005 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lindz928
Personally, I believe that when a PNM acts like this, you have every right to turn and talk to someone else and ignore her. How unbelievably rude.
Lol, I also personally believe that sisters who are friends with sisters of those particular GLOs should pass on this info.

BetteDavisEyes 09-26-2005 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lilsunshine214
I have one from yesterday. Not weird, but definitely rude!

2nd party is philanthropy day and we had some markers and paper set out for the PNMs to make a craft. One woman took a piece of paper and a marker and wrote out her top three list of sororities right in front of me! For the rest of the party her arms were crossed. When any sister tried to engage her in conversation, she ignored them or blew them off!

Yup. Had one girl do this throughout rush. She was rude, mutinous, & just plain mean. She wouldn't even set foot in our house b/c she was convinced that she was going XYZ. She sat outside with the Rho Gammas & only talked to a few of them b/c she was convinced that these 2 particular girls were from XYZ house. To her shock, XYZ house did not extend her a bid & the two Rho Gamma's she was convinced were members of that house were in actuality, a member of my chapter & a Tri-Delt. I haven't heard if she tried again this year but I'm going to find out.

GeekyPenguin 09-26-2005 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lindz928
Personally, I believe that when a PNM acts like this, you have every right to turn and talk to someone else and ignore her. How unbelievably rude.
I think you should tell Panhellenic and she should be released.

Lindz928 09-26-2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I think you should tell Panhellenic and she should be released.
That too.... Definately.

sageofages 09-26-2005 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lilsunshine214
It's not my place to try to punish her for being a witch. All I can do is wish her the best of luck and hope she gets her #1 choice. If she doesn't, well then she got what she deserves.
Yes, but does her #1 choice really DESERVE her?????????

ZTAMich 09-26-2005 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sageofages
Yes, but does her #1 choice really DESERVE her?????????
If her #1 choice didn't see her for what she really is, than perhaps they deserve each other!!! Birds of a feather....

33girl 09-26-2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lilsunshine214
It's not my place to try to punish her for being a witch.
YES IT IS!!!! DIDN'T YOU GET YOUR COPY OF THE SORORITY GIRLS' REVENGE HANDBOOK??

:D

Seriously....it's bad enough to do this at any party, but this is philanthropy day and they're supposed to be doing something to help someone less fortunate than themselves. If I knew her name, I'd email every single sorority at your campus and tell them what she did. It's inexcusable and decent people do not act like that.

hannahgirl 09-26-2005 11:22 PM

hmmm....we've had a couple rude girls too....i wonder if she's one of the same.....

PhoenixAzul 09-27-2005 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hannahgirl
hmmm....we've had a couple rude girls too....i wonder if she's one of the same.....
Secretly, this is some sort of "Mystery Shopper" set up by the local Panhel.

OmegaPiSister 09-28-2005 11:10 AM

During rush week we had a Semi Formal event at one of the Faternity Houses. One of the girls showed up in jeans. I (and I assume manny of my sisters did as well) gave her the benifit of the doubt, perhaps she was going through money troubles and could not afford a outfit or wasn't aware that this was a semi formal event. Anyway we took our rush over to the faternity house. I kind of lost track of her talking to other rush when I look over and she is lying on a couch all by herself across the room. I went over asked her to come over so I could introduce her to some people. She said she would rather just relax by herself. She even still had her coat on. Manny sisters tried to talk to her and while they eventually got her off the couch she didn't talk mutch and from what I heard rude to some of the sisters. Our rush is prety informal, but still... Latter i heard that one of out Alumni who arived late had gone up to her and asked if she was rushing, The rush said that she was just here with a friend! This was odd because None of this sisters knew her nor did any members of the faternity.

KSUViolet06 09-30-2005 11:27 AM

From this years' recruitment:

*A conversation I had on the first day:

Me: Do you have any siblings?

PNM: Yes, I have a 15 year old sister and oh my God she is such a bitch!! (loud enough for at least 3 or 4 people around her to stop their conversations and look over at her)

*A question someone asked me on day 2:

PNM: So, like, are you a Sigma because they're, like the only ones who would accept you, with your crutches and everything?

Me: I'm a Sigma because this is the sisterhood I felt the most comfortable and that I could contribute the most to.




33girl 09-30-2005 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JocelynC
PNM: So, like, are you a Sigma because they're, like the only ones who would accept you, with your crutches and everything?

Me: I'm a Sigma because this is the sisterhood I felt the most comfortable and that I could contribute the most to.

Jocelyn, you really missed the boat on this one.

"I am a Sigma because I beat all the other sororities to death with my crutches for asking stupid ass questions."

PhoenixAzul 09-30-2005 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JocelynC
From this years' recruitment:


*A question someone asked me on day 2:

PNM: So, like, are you a Sigma because they're, like the only ones who would accept you, with your crutches and everything?

Me: I'm a Sigma because this is the sisterhood I felt the most comfortable and that I could contribute the most to.





!!!! I CANT FREAKIN' BELIEVE THAT?!?!?!? I mean, there are a million "appropriate" questions that could be asked ..."how did your sisters accomodate you ?" or "how have your sisters supported you?" or a MILLION other lines of questioning that would have been more polite if you had 2 brain cells.

You're a bigger person than I am for not clobbering her or shoving a cupcake in her face.

FSUZeta 09-30-2005 12:21 PM

i like 33girl's answer!! and jocelyn, you are a saint!!

Beanblossom1 09-30-2005 01:26 PM

Oh my goodness. My jaw dropped when I read that about the crutches. How rude of that girl. And you should be commended for handling it so well. I think I would have 'accidently' tripped her with a crutch. ;)

tinydancer 09-30-2005 01:34 PM

I think I would have, too! Just when I think I have heard every stupid, rude comment a person can make, someone has heard a worse one.:(

AXi1257 09-30-2005 02:15 PM

:eek: Now that I have picked my jaw up off the floor... Jocelyn honey, you have the most class and polite manners than anyone! What an awkward moment and rude statement, yet you turned it around to be very positive for yourself as well as your chapter. (You really should have tripped her though. Or shoved her face into a punch bowl...just for fun.) :D

rhochi2002 09-30-2005 02:18 PM

OMG! that is just plain rude... I vote for tripping her into the punch bowl... but what a waste of good punch

aephi alum 09-30-2005 04:32 PM

Jocelyn - yikes! :eek: Good job handling such a rude question with such class.

sageofages 09-30-2005 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JocelynC
From this years' recruitment:

*A question someone asked me on day 2:

PNM: So, like, are you a Sigma because they're, like the only ones who would accept you, with your crutches and everything?

Me: I'm a Sigma because this is the sisterhood I felt the most comfortable and that I could contribute the most to.



APPLAUSE APPLAUSE....Cheers for your grace and elegance...
and fabulous presence of mind to respond in a classy and dignified manner. Truly a tribute to Sigma ;).

Jill1228 09-30-2005 09:16 PM

J, you are SO my hero!

I am with 33girl, I woulda tripped that heffa...or given her a bitch slap with the crutches

Never you mind...karma can be a bitch!

Quote:

Originally posted by 33girl
Jocelyn, you really missed the boat on this one.

"I am a Sigma because I beat all the other sororities to death with my crutches for asking stupid ass questions."


Taualumna 09-30-2005 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JocelynC
From this years' recruitment:



*A question someone asked me on day 2:

PNM: So, like, are you a Sigma because they're, like the only ones who would accept you, with your crutches and everything?

Me: I'm a Sigma because this is the sisterhood I felt the most comfortable and that I could contribute the most to.




She asked you that????? :eek: :rolleyes:

honeychile 09-30-2005 09:34 PM

Jocelyn, I don't know whether to applaud the obvious class & dignity that you showed that incrediable cow or to wish that you HAD shoved her face into the punch bowl! You are to commended for your graciousness!



We once had a PNM ask us if all the redheads became ADPis, and thought that was a little silly (the sister responded, "Only the smart ones!"). You have that beat by a mile!!

KillarneyRose 09-30-2005 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by honeychile
We once had a PNM ask us if all the redheads became ADPis, and thought that was a little silly (the sister responded, "Only the smart ones!").
Yeah, I remember a rushee asking me why I wasn't a Tri Delt since I had "the same hair" as most of them :rolleyes:

AOIIsilver 10-01-2005 08:34 AM

Jocelyn,
Quote:

Originally posted by sageofages
APPLAUSE APPLAUSE....Cheers for your grace and elegance...
and fabulous presence of mind to respond in a classy and dignified manner. Truly a tribute to Sigma ;).

True, true! So sorry this happened to you.
What class you showed under very trying circumstances!
Roses to you.
Silver

33girl 10-01-2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Yeah, I remember a rushee asking me why I wasn't a Tri Delt since I had "the same hair" as most of them :rolleyes:
We used to get "don't you have to be in band to be in ASA?" No mensa, that's what TBS is for. There just happened to be a lot of TBS sisters in ASA. This was a BIG reason we made it a point to rush non-band people - there was nothing wrong with them, it was just limiting the way people saw us.

KSUViolet06 10-01-2005 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the comments ladies, I really tried to come up with a classy answer, though I'd rather have knocked out her teeth. :)

Another story:

We had a girl come through wearing a VERY skimpy top the first day. One of her boobs popped out while she was talking to me. That was quite awkward.

Jill1228 10-02-2005 03:38 AM

Wardrobe malfunction...oooh boy! How did she play that one off?

Quote:

Originally posted by JocelynC

Another story:

We had a girl come through wearing a VERY skimpy top the first day. One of her boobs popped out while she was talking to me. That was quite awkward.


WhiteDaisy128 10-02-2005 01:15 PM

During Pref night this year, I was helping my chapter out and while all the girls were getting ready, I was helping some other alumns set tables, etc. Because of no frills, we have to do pref at the house and we had tables set up inside the chapter room, but we needed more space, so we put some tables on the back patio. Everything looked BEAUTIFUL! When we were setting the tables on the patio at the very end, we noticed the smell of cow manuer. Turns out our neighbors, the Kappa Sigma's (whom we typically get along with really well), had been doing some landscaping that day and had put down new mulch. It smelled terrible and there was nothing we could do about it!! Gross!

Also, earlier on house tours night, part of our route through/around the house goes out a side door (closest to the Kappa Sig house) and around on the back patio then in the back door. Well, some Kappa Sig's were outside and decided to moon the girls coming around. All the girls had a good laugh, but the Kappa Sig president (who is loved by the DG girls) tore the guys a new one when he learned what had happened!!

Didn't turn out too bad, because we got some awesome girls back - guess they all have a sense of humor too!

ZTABullwinkle 10-02-2005 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OmegaPiSister
During rush week we had a Semi Formal event at one of the Faternity Houses. One of the girls showed up in jeans. I (and I assume manny of my sisters did as well) gave her the benifit of the doubt, perhaps she was going through money troubles and could not afford a outfit or wasn't aware that this was a semi formal event. Anyway we took our rush over to the faternity house. I kind of lost track of her talking to other rush when I look over and she is lying on a couch all by herself across the room. I went over asked her to come over so I could introduce her to some people. She said she would rather just relax by herself. She even still had her coat on. Manny sisters tried to talk to her and while they eventually got her off the couch she didn't talk mutch and from what I heard rude to some of the sisters. Our rush is prety informal, but still... Latter i heard that one of out Alumni who arived late had gone up to her and asked if she was rushing, The rush said that she was just here with a friend! This was odd because None of this sisters knew her nor did any members of the faternity.
This made me think of my Preference....I COB'ed with ZTA. The sisters told us to dress up nice (church clothes) for our event the next night. They didn't tell us why. So we all showed up in nice dresses, except for one of my pledge sisters who showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. I know she looked out of place, but she was initiated with us. She is an awesome sister, and I am proud to say she is my pledge sister.

KSUViolet06 10-06-2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jill1228
Wardrobe malfunction...oooh boy! How did she play that one off?

Better than I could have! She just said "Oh my gosh" and put it back in its place. :)

KDlady04 11-07-2005 05:27 PM

This isn't so much about rush, but a friend of mine who's a sophomore at a school with deferred rush and is a sister in XYZ told me this. She said she was just walking along and some freshmen girls were like "you're so cute! are you going to rush next semester? we like ABC you should totally go ABC!" My friend was just like "Umm...I'm a sister in XYZ." THEN the freshmen were like "Oh, well you should rush anyway!" Wow...what were they thinking?? Unfortunately she met them at a party later and found out their names. Kinda sucks to be them.

KSUViolet06 11-14-2005 06:49 PM

I ALMOST forgot this one! During 1st party, I was rushing this girl and I asked her if anyone else in her family went Greek. She said she was a legacy to ACW through her sister. I said that was really cool.

So we were talking about something else, and she randomly asks "Where's Alpha Chi?" We don't have an AXO chapter here @ Kent. I figured she may not know, so I just said " There isn't an Alpha Chi chapter here." She asked, "Are they on probation or something?" I said, "No, they just happen to not have a chapter here."

I REALLY wanted to change the subject, and I tried. She got really annoyed and was like "Why not?" I said well "We just have never had Alpha Chi here." She says, "Well that's not true because I've seen Alpha Chi Omega flyers on campus." Ok, I figured she must have misread some Alpha PHI Omega flyers or something. I REALLY didn't want to talk about Alpha Chi anymore, so I was like "Have you seen our sailboat table?" She said "I'm talking to my Rho Chi because I KNOW Alpha Chi is here." And by that time the party was THANKFULLY over!

She ended up dropping out of recruitment entirely.

AUDeltaGam 11-14-2005 08:28 PM

This didn't happen to me, but to one of my sisters. I came down to help with rush this past August and I heard this story. During Philanthropy Day, we had betta fishes in little glass fish bowls on the tables. So one girl told one of my sisters that either she (or a friend- I can't remember which) had a pet betta named Mastrabetta :rolleyes:

For some reason, I just think that's something you don't say during recruitment!

Xylochick216 11-15-2005 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AUDeltaGam
So one girl told one of my sisters that either she (or a friend- I can't remember which) had a pet betta named Mastrabetta :rolleyes:

HAHAHA, that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time :p

PM_Mama00 11-15-2005 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AUDeltaGam
This didn't happen to me, but to one of my sisters. I came down to help with rush this past August and I heard this story. During Philanthropy Day, we had betta fishes in little glass fish bowls on the tables. So one girl told one of my sisters that either she (or a friend- I can't remember which) had a pet betta named Mastrabetta :rolleyes:

For some reason, I just think that's something you don't say during recruitment!

Up here in the north we'd probably find that hilarious. I know my sisters and I would. That's funny. At least you know she's being real.

Kinda like when I went back to recruitment this year, anda bunch of the girls were talking to a PNM and they all burst out laughing. I found out that one of the girls had told a story about her name and how it spells Analram backwards. We thrive on funny people.... so she became a sister and is pretty damn cool.

AUDeltaGam 11-15-2005 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Up here in the north we'd probably find that hilarious. I know my sisters and I would. That's funny. At least you know she's being real.

Kinda like when I went back to recruitment this year, anda bunch of the girls were talking to a PNM and they all burst out laughing. I found out that one of the girls had told a story about her name and how it spells Analram backwards. We thrive on funny people.... so she became a sister and is pretty damn cool.

We love funny people down here too ;) My Senior year, we had a girl come through from New York. I talked to her and asked her how she got to Auburn from New York (she was the first New Yorker I had talked to down here) and she looked at me and said "I walked!".

She later became my sister :)

KDlady04 11-16-2005 05:27 PM

Oh yeah I feel that there are things you can do during rush in the north that you couldn't do in the South. But we certainly still have things that are completely unacceptable. I think it'd be really interesting to see how rush works down south because up here it's so different! Not that that's a bad thing ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.