GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

ChioLu 09-14-2015 12:19 PM

I mentioned this in another thread but didn't post here -- yet this is weird.
A few years ago at UCLA, over 30 international students signed up for Recruitment and NONE spoke English!
They were all from China and signed up for everything the university sent (because they didn't want miss anything).
Of course, all dropped before Day 1.

ChioLu 09-23-2015 06:52 PM

An LA alumnae who went to UCF (Central Florida) had a interesting Recruitment story.
She was a Rho Chi and randomly stationed one day in front of the Chi O house.
A PNM ripped her dress right before the party started. The Rho Chi had a sewing kit with her and was sewing up the back of the PNM's dress while she was walking up the stairs to go to the party. Enough to get her through the party.

sigmagirl2000 09-23-2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2346315)
A few years ago at UCLA, over 30 international students signed up for Recruitment and NONE spoke English!
They were all from China and signed up for everything the university sent (because they didn't want miss anything).

Same thing happened a few years ago at Babson College, except these were 5 middle eastern MEN who signed up for panhellenic recruitment :-O

33girl 09-23-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2346315)

Did they pay the fee??

Side note, how on earth do you manage here with no English?

Sciencewoman 09-24-2015 09:24 AM

I've got one that I'll wait to share when recruitment is over.

DeltaBetaBaby 09-24-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2357710)
Did they pay the fee??

Many international students understand English, they are just self-conscious about it.

ChioLu 09-24-2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2357710)
Did they pay the fee??

Yes, they paid the fee.

UCLA has several international study programs where the courses are taught in another language. $ $ $

NWguy 09-24-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 (Post 2357691)
Same thing happened a few years ago at Babson College, except these were 5 middle eastern MEN who signed up for panhellenic recruitment :-O

Wow, that is interesting!

I'm assuming registration was done electronically, so no one caught it before rush started? Most international students, I think, are discouraged or even restricted from joining the Greek system, if they are here on a sponsored program.

naraht 09-24-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWguy (Post 2358438)

I'm assuming registration was done electronically, so no one caught it before rush started? Most international students, I think, are discouraged or even restricted from joining the Greek system, if they are here on a sponsored program.

Social Greek system sure, but some of the professional/service greeks would be much less of a problem.

clemsongirl 09-24-2015 02:48 PM

I can think of an example both at Clemson and the University of Rhode Island where a social sorority pledged and initiated a foreign exchange student who was only here for a year. I imagine it's rarer for a sorority because they have a set number of girls they can take, whereas a fraternity has more wiggle room on adding a member who will leave a year later.

ChioLu 09-24-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemsongirl (Post 2358446)
I can think of an example both at Clemson and the University of Rhode Island where a social sorority pledged and initiated a foreign exchange student who was only here for a year. I imagine it's rarer for a sorority because they have a set number of girls they can take, whereas a fraternity has more wiggle room on adding a member who will leave a year later.

UCLA has many exchange students who go through Recruitment.
The students who are "Semester Abroad" are FREE and don't count in quota.
Since every sorority but one initiates before the quarter ends, it is only an issue for 1 group. (wah, wah :()

A retro weird recruitment story:
About a week before the start of my 1st recruitment on the active side, I got a horrible case of pink eye (like, emergency room case). I had a gauze patch taped to my head. (Couldn't stand looking at it in the mirror so I drew an actual-sized eye/eyebrow and taped it to the gauze patch.)
But, what to do??? I was to be in a skit on Day 2! The Rush Chair (my big sis) held me out on Open House Day because I still had my patch on and didn't want to be contagious to PNMs. The morning of Day 2, my doctor cleared me, so I got to take my eye patch off and was able to participate in Recruitment / skit. The doctor discouraged me from wearing eye make-up the 1st day, so I just went for the natural look in the skit.

sigmagirl2000 09-24-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWguy (Post 2358438)

Registration is done electronically. Another difference with Babson, is that the international students are not exchange students, they are fully enrolled and spend their 4 years at Babson. I have spent many an hour searching through ICS making sure that PNMs are actually PNMs ;)

TLLK 05-23-2016 01:21 PM

This story is from the early 1980's so I'm hoping that this house has polished their recruitment conversation skills. Our then chapter president's cousin went through rush at our school. They both have the same last name. Our president is a little concerned that this could be a problem with some of the other houses but she tells herself that it will be okay. While her cousin is visiting this house during recruitment their chapter president comes over to introduce herself and meet this excited PNM, who was thrilled to be asked back to their chapter on the third day of recruitment. President takes a good look at her name tag. "You're __________'s cousin aren't you? She's the current president of Delta Gamma right?" PNM answer "Yes she is.":) President stares at her and says "You do realize that it is a waste of our time to have you here at this party!" President then leaves the shocked PNM sitting by herself.:eek: Another sister rushes over to try and remedy the situation as the poor PNM stammers about how much she likes their house.
The next day the PNM was dropped by that house. She did end up pledging DG in the end but heard from friends at the other house that their president was lectured by their chapter's rush advisor who had been made aware of her comments by other members. Note to all actives, please treat everyone as a potential new member no matter who their family members are!

naraht 05-24-2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 2410850)
They both have the same last name.

I presume the name is something fairly unusual like "Milekowski" rather than Smith...

TLLK 05-24-2016 03:53 PM

It was a distinctive last name. And the recruitment applications at that time did ask if you had any sorority influences