GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

TweedleDee199 05-10-2015 07:07 PM

My senior year a good friend from another chapter was a Rho Gamma and got assigned to our house for philanthropy day. As president I wasn’t recruiting and my job was mostly to make sure the Rho Gams were taken care of, so we got to talk quite a bit throughout the day when I brought out snacks. At the end of the last party my friend was stationed just outside the door to make sure no one left with anything (a recruitment violation) and I was standing in the front hall waving goodbye. All of a sudden I saw her jump back slightly and her eyes got wide. I mouthed “What’s wrong?” but she just shook her head. As soon as the last PNM was out the door she ran inside and grabbed a broom out of our mailroom. She took it to the front porch and started waving it over her head. We thought she was crazy until we saw what had her worried: an absolutely gigantic spider was descending from the porch covering, hanging just above head level for most people. After she killed the spider she explained that she wanted to wait until PNMs left so it didn’t spoil the experience at Gamma Phi for any of them. It was NPC sisterhood at it’s finest!

jolene 05-10-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TweedleDee199 (Post 2315603)
My senior year a good friend from another chapter was a Rho Gamma and got assigned to our house for philanthropy day. As president I wasnít recruiting and my job was mostly to make sure the Rho Gams were taken care of, so we got to talk quite a bit throughout the day when I brought out snacks. At the end of the last party my friend was stationed just outside the door to make sure no one left with anything (a recruitment violation) and I was standing in the front hall waving goodbye. All of a sudden I saw her jump back slightly and her eyes got wide. I mouthed ďWhatís wrong?Ē but she just shook her head. As soon as the last PNM was out the door she ran inside and grabbed a broom out of our mailroom. She took it to the front porch and started waving it over her head. We thought she was crazy until we saw what had her worried: an absolutely gigantic spider was descending from the porch covering, hanging just above head level for most people. After she killed the spider she explained that she wanted to wait until PNMs left so it didnít spoil the experience at Gamma Phi for any of them. It was NPC sisterhood at itís finest!

That's hilarious (and creepy). My college best friend is a Phi Mu (we met as Rho Chis and were instantly glued to each other's side--still close now). We would totally kill spiders for each other. :D

Myren1897 05-24-2015 07:01 PM

I served as a Rho Chi during recruitment in Fall '13. One rushee (a legacy of my own house, actually), had been hanging out at another house prior to rush week. During the very first round, the other Rho Chi, a member of the house we were leaving, took some of the rushees out the door and I trailed back to make sure all were accounted for and leaving so we could move to the next. This particular rushee stood back talking with the chapter president (this being the fraternity he was so interested in), exclaiming "This is f***ing" stupid, I know this is where I want to rush... why should I go to the other houses? F*** XY!". He said this right as the IFC president (a member of the house cursed upon) walked through with his entourage to see how rush was moving. Needless to say, he was removed from formal rush shortly after.

thetalady 05-24-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myren1897 (Post 2316320)
I served as a Rho Chi during recruitment in Fall '13. One rushee (a legacy of my own house, actually), had been hanging out at another house prior to rush week. During the very first round, the other Rho Chi, a member of the house we were leaving, took some of the rushees out the door and I trailed back to make sure all were accounted for and leaving so we could move to the next. This particular rushee stood back talking with the chapter president (this being the fraternity he was so interested in), exclaiming "This is f***ing" stupid, I know this is where I want to rush... why should I go to the other houses? F*** XY!". He said this right as the IFC president (a member of the house cursed upon) walked through with his entourage to see how rush was moving. Needless to say, he was removed from formal rush shortly after.

Learn something new every day, I guess. ! I have never heard of a fraternity system that used any of the NPC type of rush policies or procedures, like being required to visit every chapter.

Myren1897 05-24-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2316321)
Learn something new every day, I guess. ! I have never heard of a fraternity system that used any of the NPC type of rush policies or procedures, like being required to visit every chapter.

Hmm, I'm not knowledgeable in the recruitment practices of other universities. But yes, at my university formal rush is a week-long process with the first two days being mandatory house visits, the third a "free roam" night, then pref day and bid day.

naraht 05-24-2015 07:45 PM

Yes, Arkansas State IFC appears very similar to some NPC setups I've seen. See http://www.astate.edu/a/leadership-c...c/recruitment/ including the concept of Rho Chis...

Myren1897 05-24-2015 07:57 PM

Nice spotting, that is indeed my university.

carnation 07-26-2015 12:02 PM

A chapter sister and I were reminiscing about Batwoman (see early part of the thread) and how she almost shut down a whole chapter with her appearance.

AGDCanada11 07-26-2015 02:01 PM

Bumping this one! :)

carnation 08-08-2015 03:37 PM

Bumping again to remind all you actives that we'd love to hear any weird rush stories for this year!

ChioLu 08-10-2015 05:20 PM

I hear at least 1 a year at UCLA. Probably because about 70% are 1st time Greeks in their families that they don't know what to do or expect.

clemsongirl 08-10-2015 10:25 PM

My BFF is the University of Northern Colorado Panhellenic president and as such hears all the weird sorority recruitment stories on that campus. She said that one PNM went through last year and stole a picture frame from one of the houses, then when asked why just said "Because I wanted to". She was not allowed to continue recruitment!

APhiLife 08-15-2015 02:50 PM

So when one of my younger sisters rushed 2 years ago she said she immediately noticed that a few houses stuck out because they were all blondes. She said people on campus called one end of Greek Row the Valley of the Blondes....If you joined those houses as a brunette you would soon be a blonde.
My sister has a very fair complexion with jet black hair and bright green eyes. She said at one of the "all Blonde" houses a girl rushing her leaned in really close and said, "Wow! Your eyes are soo green. I have never seen eyes that green with dark hair before."
My sister replied, "Oh thank you! I am Hungarian." and the girl exclaims, "Like from the Hunger Games?" and my sister just said she kind of looked at her and tried not to bust up laughing and the girl put her hand over her mouth and said, "I have no idea why that is the first thing that came into my head..."

tcsparky 09-08-2015 05:28 AM

After the umpteen Recruitments we've had the past month, and NOT A SINGLE WEIRD RUSH STORY?!?!?!

clemsongirl 09-08-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcsparky (Post 2339477)
After the umpteen Recruitments we've had the past month, and NOT A SINGLE WEIRD RUSH STORY?!?!?!

I'm hesitant to post weird rush stories because I've made my chapter and school so obvious and I'm still an active sister. I'm sitting on some good ones until after I think enough time has passed:) That said, I did find out from my BFF that the girl who stole something from the Delta Zeta house at UNCO did get a bid to a different chapter on campus eventually.

Other weird story: my other BFF's coworker went through recruitment this year and preffed three chapters, but ran up to her after Preference rankings were submitted and volunteered, unprompted, "I loved XYZ, but I just couldn't see myself there so I didn't put them down. Sorry!" My friend in XYZ was taken aback by how casually rude she was, and so was I! She also got a bid to a different chapter on campus, but part of me was hoping she didn't out of spite.