GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

AGDLynn 08-16-2013 06:35 PM

:eek::eek:

Wow! Would be interesting to know if/how she ends up being a valuable member to her chapter!

Cheerio 08-16-2013 09:31 PM

This is not a current phenomenon, but happened 30+ years ago: our Rush Counselors revealed their NPC Homes BEFORE we filled out our Pref Cards. You see, strong early tent talk during rush had correctly discovered that each rush counselor (there were ten, one for each house) began her group's Open House Tour at her own NPC Sorority Home. As a result, some rushees already 'knew' the identity of each counselor's sorority. This early reveal affected my own pref card listing, as I truly wanted to belong to a particular Rush Counselor's group.

littlesquirrel 08-16-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDLynn (Post 2231553)
:eek::eek:

Wow! Would be interesting to know if/how she ends up being a valuable member to her chapter!

We are in a campus group together, so I know she holds a position now and is very passionate about it. Honestly, comments aside, she wouldn't have been a great fit for our chapter. I'm very happy for her and it seems like her chapter has calmed her down and taught her a lot!

nyapbp 08-16-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2230299)
I'm so used to the word Sorority, it's been a weird adjustment for me to realize my daughter is in a fraternity. When she add Pi Phi to her resume as a fraternity, it just seemed odd! :) I've noticed that a lot of the materials she's gotten will say "Fraternity for Women" after the name. Do other group do this, too?

Just catching up on this thread (and why, yes, I am procrastinating!). How funny that I just wrote a post this week about dear Dr.Smalley and the word "sorority."

Sometime in the past few years, Pi Beta Phi Fraternity had "for Women" added to it in printed materials. I suspect it was to head off the question posed in the graphic a few posts ahead of this. Explaining that a women's fraternity, fraternity for women, and a sorority are all one in the same is one of my elevator speeches.

Smile_Awhile 08-17-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyapbp (Post 2231610)
Just catching up on this thread (and why, yes, I am procrastinating!). How funny that I just wrote a post this week about dear Dr.Smalley and the word "sorority."

Sometime in the past few years, Pi Beta Phi Fraternity had "for Women" added to it in printed materials. I suspect it was to head off the question posed in the graphic a few posts ahead of this. Explaining that a women's fraternity, fraternity for women, and a sorority are all one in the same is one of my elevator speeches.

Though I don't recall any graphics referring to Alpha Chi Omega Fraternity, in many print materials, the copy reads "Alpha Chi Omega women's fraternity".

carnation 08-17-2013 07:07 PM

Our daughters' friend had her engagement announcement in the paper last month and my husband said, "Oh no! The paper screwed up again and put that Megan is in Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity!" I had to educate him about all that.

(Yes, the paper screws up a whole lot.)

CaseyBat 08-18-2013 07:13 PM

I have a weird bid day story... There's a girl in my pledge class who brought her best friend along for everything. And I mean everything. Her friend was there when she opened her bid, when she ran to the chapter, and throughout all of our bid day activities. As far as I know her friend isn't Greek nor has any desire to be. It felt very weird.

carnation 08-18-2013 07:23 PM

Panhellenic and the sorority let her hang out?

Sciencewoman 08-18-2013 08:19 PM

I agree...that is weird.

Missouri Ivy 08-18-2013 08:47 PM

That is weird, but more important, congratulations to you on a successful recruitment! I was hoping you'd have a happy ending!

CaseyBat 08-19-2013 01:35 AM

I know Panhellenic has strict rules when it comes to family/friends being at bid opening, but she must have slipped under the radar. When hundreds of girls crowd into a relatively small space, it's hard to tell who is a PNM and who is not. And I guess my sorority was just being polite?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Ivy (Post 2232181)
That is weird, but more important, congratulations to you on a successful recruitment! I was hoping you'd have a happy ending!

Thank you so much! I was just thrilled when I opened my bid card. I love my new sisters already and I'm so proud of my letters!

Psi U MC Vito 09-10-2013 04:54 PM

Really, nothing?

carnation 09-10-2013 10:09 PM

Did you mean to put this in another thread?

(I was hoping for another weird rush story, haha.)

Psi U MC Vito 09-15-2013 01:11 AM

No. I was complaining that it is recruitment season and no stories.

AnchorAlumna 09-15-2013 11:47 AM

It seems to work best when a few years have lapsed since when the weird PNM came through.