GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

BumbleBeeofDDD 03-23-2009 02:47 PM

Love this! I spent about the past three days reading these and I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I'll definitly make sure to post some stories when rush starts in the fall. :] Sadly, no interesting COB stories!

ZTA72 03-23-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri deezy (Post 1783320)
My only story is that we had a girl come through with visible chest hair. Like, seriously? I'd feel bad so openly judging by appearance, but there's a such thing as tweezers, or wax, or even a razor, so I don't feel bad.

WOW, just when you think you've seen it all! ( and not just during rush).

Ivy313 04-17-2009 02:51 PM

might be a long one....

Okay so I have 4 stories for you, 3 are PNM related... the other one was a nightmare-ish sister related! These happened a few years ago when I was a collegiate member

Our campus is rather small and we usually only have about 20 girls going through recruitment, it's VERY unusual for no one to get a bid, but sometimes there are those lucky few!

Pnm #1: This pnm had a horrible lisp. Which ok is not her fault and we didn't discount her for this. HOWEVER, she proceeded to tell members how her and her boyfriend liked to play the synthesizer (try saying synthesizer with a lisp and not laughing) and how she had been arrested a few years ago for something I can't remember... AHHH!!!

Pnm #2: this pnm proceeded to tell members that she had had a premonition and that she was pushing a baby carriage full of dead babies down the sidewalk.....

These two went through in the same year, needless to say that neither of them got a bid from any of the groups on campus....

Pnm # 3: Was a very sweet girl, a bit overweight, noise ring, bleach blond hair turned orange..... anyhow, she was a very nice girl but our group did not click with her and dropped her, she joined another group and added some of our girls on facebook. On her facebook she was a part of groups like 'Coke Addicts' (the drug, not the soda) 'Where to get good smack' stuff like that... needless to say she depledged a few weeks later and has never been heard from again...

Now the nightmare of a sister...

This girl went through recruitment the same year as pnm 1 & 2.. (I think?) anyhow, she was really sweet and a bit quirky, but that was fine, she pledged and initiated and all was fine and good. We started having COB events as we didn't make it to total, and she would talk to pnm's about genocide etc. (she even went to far as to make a racist comment about jewish people to a pnm who was jewish who never came around after that!:mad:). To make matters worse she also would say how she didn't like how Gay people had the rainbow to represent them. SHE liked rainbows and all the pretty colors so she actually told people she was 'taking back the rainbow from the gays' :mad:NIGHTMARE.
After many reprimands of this member.. she decided she was going to quit before we could terminate her.. THANK GOD!

NIGHTMARE....

PhiMuKay 04-21-2009 10:04 PM

This has to be the best thread ever! My stories aren't as good as some I've read but I'll still share, maybe someone will get a kick out of it!

#1: When I was going through rush the SAEs on campus decided to water balloon us PNMs that were about to go into the AOII house. Lucky me, I got drenched with a waterballoon. The AOII ladies asked what happen -- and cut me. I don't know if it was because of the water balloon incident or I just said something wrong. But, the next day when I talked to Phi Mu and they asked how everything was going & I told my story they cracked up & wanted me :)

#2: Last year, I was talking to a girl during one of our theme parties and absolutely loved her! So did many of the other girls in our chapter. We gave her a bid & she quit a few weeks later & joined a service sorority. According to her, she quit that a few weeks later too. I've heard she was actually kicked out. Now she's telling all of us Phi Mus that she is going through rush again next year and can't wait to be able to wear our letters again and have me as a big. To make it even better, she has pictures on Facebook with me that have the caption: "My should be big" and "My *hoepfully* future big" I don't have the heart to tell her that it just won't happen.

Jill1228 04-21-2009 10:50 PM

The chapter I advise recently had a COB recruitment party. There were a couple of interesting thangs that went on

#1 There was a dude (I think he had a form of autism) who came in and wanted to sign up. The sign did say sorority. The poor guy, bless his heart looked crushed that he could not join. I kinda felt sorry for him

#2 We had one girl go through. We really liked her and would have loved to have her as a sister...except for the fact that she was graduating at the end of the semester. Dude, what the hell?

Bella796 05-12-2009 10:09 PM

There is one story that stands out:

When I was an active we had this really obnoxious girl come through recruitment. She made it to our pref party and the whole time she talked about abc sorority and how wonderful they were. She was going on and on about how they are perfect for her because of her beliefs and their philanthropy and then had the audacity to compare us and tell me how abc were so much more superior than us. Being as panhellenic as I can be, I told her that all the sororities have wonderful qualities and that she should keep an open mind. She then grabbed my hand and nearly yelled at me begging me not to put her down on our bid list. Being that it was near the end of recruitment and all the smiling had worn me down I very coldly told her not to worry because we are too good for her anyway. I know it was really rude but seriously this girl was nuts.

She did get the sorority she wanted, and to make matters worse she got a job where I worked. I guess she forgot what happened because she acted like I was her best friend and even told me one day how much she loved my sisters etc. She lasted two years before she was dropped from abc sorority because she embezzled money from them.... and now 6 years later she just friend requested me on facebook (hence why the memory of her came back).

Another sister told me this story of her recruitment:

She went to a recruitment party and asked one of the sister's what makes their sorority diverse? The member replied by saying, "well we have girls with blonde hair, brown hair and EVEN red hair." My sister obviously pledge that sorority but thought it was always a fun story to share.

That is all I can remember right now :)

PhillyGirl 06-16-2009 08:32 AM

I have this awful tendency to mix up my words and phrases. One time, my PNM was drinking a glass of water a she accidently spilled it all over the floor. I helped her clean it up, and afterwards she thanked me. I meant to say either "No problem" or "You're welcome" by I accidently said "You're problem!" And then she looked really offended, so I quickly tried to explain how I said "You're welcome" and "No problem at the same time". Ridiculous.

Francisx3 06-17-2009 12:42 AM

Being that I just got initiated this spring, I don't have any funny stories... yet. :p But I will share one moment that I caused. LOL
So, I was at the Phi Mu house during the open house parties and I was talking to one of the girls and she goes, "So, are any of your parents Greek?" And I said, "No, they're Puerto Rican and Honduran." LMAO! I caught myself right after I had said it but didn't correct myself cause I felt stupid. lol

myopicsunflower 06-17-2009 12:53 AM

Francis, that is a CUTE story! And I love your signature line...very pretty!

Francisx3 06-17-2009 04:12 AM

Thanks! :D It's a chant we do.

AOEforme 06-17-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francisx3 (Post 1817536)
Being that I just got initiated this spring, I don't have any funny stories... yet. :p But I will share one moment that I caused. LOL
So, I was at the Phi Mu house during the open house parties and I was talking to one of the girls and she goes, "So, are any of your parents Greek?" And I said, "No, they're Puerto Rican and Honduran." LMAO! I caught myself right after I had said it but didn't correct myself cause I felt stupid. lol

:D That is a cute story!

naraht 06-17-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill1228 (Post 1801861)
The chapter I advise recently had a COB recruitment party. There were a couple of interesting thangs that went on

#1 There was a dude (I think he had a form of autism) who came in and wanted to sign up. The sign did say sorority. The poor guy, bless his heart looked crushed that he could not join. I kinda felt sorry for him

#2 We had one girl go through. We really liked her and would have loved to have her as a sister...except for the fact that she was graduating at the end of the semester. Dude, what the hell?

For #1 entirely possible. Does Alpha Phi have anything where it would have been possible for him to help the house, even if he couldn't have been a sister?

For #2, I dealt with exactly the same thing in Alpha Phi Omega, however the brother after pledging second semester senior year went off to Graduate School at a school without an Alpha Phi Omega chapter and was the primary force behind getting Alpha Phi Omega chartered at the school that he went to for Grad School.

Francisx3 06-19-2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri deezy (Post 1783320)
I'm bumping this with a quick little one because this is pretty much my favorite thread (along with the "what do you look like/ pictures of GCers" thread, wherever that disappeared to.)

My only story is that we had a girl come through with visible chest hair. Like, seriously? I'd feel bad so openly judging by appearance, but there's a such thing as tweezers, or wax, or even a razor, so I don't feel bad.

Ooh, there was a girl at my school like that. I don't know if she ever rushed though. But yea... it was quite disturbing when she'd come sit with me and my friends (even though we totally aren't friends with her) and she'd be wearing a low-cut v-neck shirt. eww.

carnation 07-31-2009 10:40 PM

Let's get ready for recruitment season with some more weird stories!!!!

gogreek2009 08-13-2009 04:14 AM

Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!