GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

PhillyGirl 06-16-2009 08:32 AM

I have this awful tendency to mix up my words and phrases. One time, my PNM was drinking a glass of water a she accidently spilled it all over the floor. I helped her clean it up, and afterwards she thanked me. I meant to say either "No problem" or "You're welcome" by I accidently said "You're problem!" And then she looked really offended, so I quickly tried to explain how I said "You're welcome" and "No problem at the same time". Ridiculous.

Francisx3 06-17-2009 12:42 AM

Being that I just got initiated this spring, I don't have any funny stories... yet. :p But I will share one moment that I caused. LOL
So, I was at the Phi Mu house during the open house parties and I was talking to one of the girls and she goes, "So, are any of your parents Greek?" And I said, "No, they're Puerto Rican and Honduran." LMAO! I caught myself right after I had said it but didn't correct myself cause I felt stupid. lol

myopicsunflower 06-17-2009 12:53 AM

Francis, that is a CUTE story! And I love your signature line...very pretty!

Francisx3 06-17-2009 04:12 AM

Thanks! :D It's a chant we do.

AOEforme 06-17-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francisx3 (Post 1817536)
Being that I just got initiated this spring, I don't have any funny stories... yet. :p But I will share one moment that I caused. LOL
So, I was at the Phi Mu house during the open house parties and I was talking to one of the girls and she goes, "So, are any of your parents Greek?" And I said, "No, they're Puerto Rican and Honduran." LMAO! I caught myself right after I had said it but didn't correct myself cause I felt stupid. lol

:D That is a cute story!

naraht 06-17-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill1228 (Post 1801861)
The chapter I advise recently had a COB recruitment party. There were a couple of interesting thangs that went on

#1 There was a dude (I think he had a form of autism) who came in and wanted to sign up. The sign did say sorority. The poor guy, bless his heart looked crushed that he could not join. I kinda felt sorry for him

#2 We had one girl go through. We really liked her and would have loved to have her as a sister...except for the fact that she was graduating at the end of the semester. Dude, what the hell?

For #1 entirely possible. Does Alpha Phi have anything where it would have been possible for him to help the house, even if he couldn't have been a sister?

For #2, I dealt with exactly the same thing in Alpha Phi Omega, however the brother after pledging second semester senior year went off to Graduate School at a school without an Alpha Phi Omega chapter and was the primary force behind getting Alpha Phi Omega chartered at the school that he went to for Grad School.

Francisx3 06-19-2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri deezy (Post 1783320)
I'm bumping this with a quick little one because this is pretty much my favorite thread (along with the "what do you look like/ pictures of GCers" thread, wherever that disappeared to.)

My only story is that we had a girl come through with visible chest hair. Like, seriously? I'd feel bad so openly judging by appearance, but there's a such thing as tweezers, or wax, or even a razor, so I don't feel bad.

Ooh, there was a girl at my school like that. I don't know if she ever rushed though. But yea... it was quite disturbing when she'd come sit with me and my friends (even though we totally aren't friends with her) and she'd be wearing a low-cut v-neck shirt. eww.

carnation 07-31-2009 10:40 PM

Let's get ready for recruitment season with some more weird stories!!!!

gogreek2009 08-13-2009 04:14 AM

Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!

WVU alpha phi 08-13-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogreek2009 (Post 1835084)
Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!

Please tell me you cut her that night. Who would actually say that?!

littleowl33 08-13-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

I would never, ever have said that... but I definitely remember thinking it during recruitment. If you step back and look at the situation objectively, a room full of college age women decorating paper bags/bookmarks/greeting cards/whatever with glitter and puffy paint is pretty weird. Now that I'm on the other side, I know how hard it is to come up with a cheap, quick, fun and useful philanthropy craft that 200 girls can do. Oh, recruitment...

33girl 08-13-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleowl33 (Post 1835160)
I would never, ever have said that... but I definitely remember thinking it during recruitment. If you step back and look at the situation objectively, a room full of college age women decorating paper bags/bookmarks/greeting cards/whatever with glitter and puffy paint is pretty weird. Now that I'm on the other side, I know how hard it is to come up with a cheap, quick, fun and useful philanthropy craft that 200 girls can do. Oh, recruitment...

Yeah, I think overall that the philanthropy round is a classic case of "it sounded really good on paper" but that hasn't quite translated in the fashion it was supposed to. I doubt that many of the rushees leave the parties wanting to know more or get involved with the philanthropy...and the charities are left with tons and tons of glittery bookmarks.

lovespink88 08-13-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Not Greek related, but I just experienced something similar: I work for an online vintage fashion company, and we do lots of photo shoots for our inventory. Yesterday I was assisting with a shoot and we had this cocky young male model. I immediately could tell I wouldn't like him. He was extremely full of himself the whole time, and at the end of the shoot he asks, "So like, besides costumes and stuff, do people actually buy this stuff?" Jerk!

Anywho, I'm glad this got bumped, I hope to hear some new crazy stories soon!

born2bdphie 08-13-2009 01:41 PM

sometimes I think we should be allowed to go off campus and actually DO something with rushes for our philanthropy other than put glitter on pillow cases.

Back to weird rush stories... Last spring we had a girl come through rush who was a transgender. She made sure to put it right on her application a couple times, which seemed a little strange. Anyway, she ended up getting cut from all the houses first round. She wrote Panhel a nasty letter implying discrimination... but when we asked all the Rush Chairs about it, most of them didn't even know she was transgender, they cut her because she was a junior with terrible grades... it was a really awkward situation.

On the same topic, my boyfriend is an AEPi and earlier that same year I went to a few of their informal rush parties last fall. I was talking up his house to a bunch of PNM's and it somehow came up that I was in a sorority. One of them asked me, with a very staright face, out of nowhere if he got a sex change could he rush DPhiE? I tried to laugh it off, but he kept asking untill all I could do was stammer "I don't know" and walk away... Needless to say he didn't get a bid.

33girl 08-13-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by born2bdphie (Post 1835172)
sometimes I think we should be allowed to go off campus and actually DO something with rushes for our philanthropy other than put glitter on pillow cases.

I concur. I think a Habitat for Humanity thing involving all the sororities working together would be far more beneficial.

/tangent

LOL at the transgender, but that same type situation happens with lots of different groups. "You cut me just because I'm ____!" No, we cut you because you had a terrible personality. Jerkiness is an equal opportunity employer.