GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

Fleur de Lis 08-02-2007 12:22 PM

I admit I've been reading this thread for a few days and have been laughing my head off! Here are a few of my crazy recruitment stories:

So it's my first time on the "other side" of recruitment and I'm talking to a girl from South America (I'm leaving out the country on purpose). We're having this great conversation about South American politics and economies, and I think I'm really impressing this girl with our conversation, since it's not your typical "what's your major" conversation. Turns out, her uncle is the freakin' dictator!!! Like, internationally known dictator! Fortunately, she just wanted one sorority and ended up there. But I kept wondering if I said anything offensive???

This same year, one of our seniors was really going off the deep end and alienating a lot of sisters. So during a party, she tells one of our PNMs that KKG stands for Keys to the Kingdom of God!!! Our school is really diverse and heavily Jewish or non-religious, so you can imagine how well that was received. By the next morning, the whole PNM class knows - I mean, it did come from an initiated sister! Fortunately, we ended up with an amazing pledge class that didn't buy the crazy rumor.

Last one - the sororities were having recruitment in the fraternity houses one year. So of course we're there in the morning making hot cider and hanging out in the kitchen looking our best before the first round. Then this rumpled girl emerges from some guy's bedroom and proceeds to use the kitchen stove to make an omelet! She was totally unfazed by all of us being there and trying to make the cider around her. I still chuckle to myself that she obviously didn't belong among the classy Kappas.

mckimjm 08-13-2007 12:25 PM

I love this post...
I remember last semester we had a get together at one of the houses and a sorority member spilled a drink on the floor, me and two other brothers went to get towels and napkins and when we turned around a rush was lying on their back cleaning it up with the shirt they were wearing.....it was honestly so funny to see this kid degrad himseld without knowing what fraternities ARE REALLY about...but we gave him a bid anyway and i took him as a little....his actually one of our better and more active brothers.

Soliloquy 08-15-2007 02:00 PM

My friend just told me this story yesterday and I'm not really sure if it goes in this thread or the other "crazy pnms" thread.

Anyway, my friend was rushing this girl, lets call her Jane, who had it all. She had a great GPA, lots of activities, solid recs, and was pretty. My friend was excited about meeting her, and when she began rushing her, the girl just kind of shifted her weight from foot-to-foot, while drinking her water, not really paying attention to my friend. Jane says something like "You know, you're really boring. Do you know who I am? Ugh! Why didn't XYZ at least try to interest me with a better rusher" Needless to say my friend is rather flabbergasted and said "Well, I'm sorry I'm boring to you. We'll be bumping in just a sec, so you won't have to deal with me much longer" Sure enough, they bumped and Jane somewhat engaged her new rusher. Well apparently, this rusher didn't "know" who she was either. Jane got pretty agitated and "accidentially" spilled her water with a smirk. As the rusher walked away, my friend heard Jane say to another pnm "ugh, thank God that bitch is gone for a few minutes" :eek:

Well turns out, Jane's daddy owns a bunch of companies in our area ($$$$$) and also does a lot of community work (visable family). She was just pissed that no one was bending over backwards to impress her because of her family's name. Needless to say my friend's group dropped her that day. Jane ended up getting a bid, but was then kicked out before initiation due to some major drama.

Probably one of her new sisters didn't know who she was or something.. :rolleyes:

AOII Angel 08-16-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 1502759)
My friend just told me this story yesterday and I'm not really sure if it goes in this thread or the other "crazy pnms" thread.

Anyway, my friend was rushing this girl, lets call her Jane, who had it all. She had a great GPA, lots of activities, solid recs, and was pretty. My friend was excited about meeting her, and when she began rushing her, the girl just kind of shifted her weight from foot-to-foot, while drinking her water, not really paying attention to my friend. Jane says something like "You know, you're really boring. Do you know who I am? Ugh! Why didn't XYZ at least try to interest me with a better rusher" Needless to say my friend is rather flabbergasted and said "Well, I'm sorry I'm boring to you. We'll be bumping in just a sec, so you won't have to deal with me much longer" Sure enough, they bumped and Jane somewhat engaged her new rusher. Well apparently, this rusher didn't "know" who she was either. Jane got pretty agitated and "accidentially" spilled her water with a smirk. As the rusher walked away, my friend heard Jane say to another pnm "ugh, thank God that bitch is gone for a few minutes" :eek:

Well turns out, Jane's daddy owns a bunch of companies in our area ($$$$$) and also does a lot of community work (visable family). She was just pissed that no one was bending over backwards to impress her because of her family's name. Needless to say my friend's group dropped her that day. Jane ended up getting a bid, but was then kicked out before initiation due to some major drama.

Probably one of her new sisters didn't know who she was or something.. :rolleyes:

Sounds like she didn't want sisters, she wanted an entourage!

luv n tpa 08-22-2007 09:06 PM

I just spent a few days reading and laughing at this thread.

So my story is not as weird and crazy as much as awkward.

I rushed fall 06, and there was a heavy set girl who looked rather homely in my pref group (I'll call her Jen). She was a very sweet girl, but none of the 4 sororities on campus bid her. Later I learned from my sister that while Jen was a nice person, she reminded everyone of a mom rather than a peer; the way she spoke, carried herself, etc.

Fast forward to spring. I was dorm-storming with girls from the other 3 orgs knocking on doors to distribute flyers about recruitment. Everything's going fine and dandy until we knock on one door, and Jen is standing there. The four of us on the other side pause for moment, hand her the flyer, say our greeting and leave. She was polite, but noticeably uncomfortable. The moment the door shut, we all looked at each other.

The girl from XYZ said to me, "Did you guys give her a bid?"
Me: "No. Did you, ABC?"
ABC: "No ... DEF?"
DEF: "Nope."
XYZ: "We called her 'the mom'."
Me, ABC, DEF: "US TOO!"

Jen didn't come back out that semester.

DeltaBetaBaby 08-22-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv n tpa (Post 1506441)
I just spent a few days reading and laughing at this thread.

I rushed fall 06, and there was a heavy set girl who looked rather homely in my pref group (I'll call her Jen). She was a very sweet girl, but none of the 4 sororities on campus bid her. Later I learned from my sister that while Jen was a nice person, she reminded everyone of a mom rather than a peer; the way she spoke, carried herself, etc.

Fast forward to spring. I was dorm-storming with girls from the other 3 orgs knocking on doors to distribute flyers about recruitment. Everything's going fine and dandy until we knock on one door, and Jen is standing there. The four of us on the other side pause for moment, hand her the flyer, say our greeting and leave. She was polite, but noticeably uncomfortable. The moment the door shut, we all looked at each other.

The girl from XYZ said to me, "Did you guys give her a bid?"
Me: "No. Did you, ABC?"
ABC: "No ... DEF?"
DEF: "Nope."
XYZ: "We called her 'the mom'."
Me, ABC, DEF: "US TOO!"

Jen didn't come back out that semester.

I don't think this story is funny at all.

luv n tpa 08-23-2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 1506490)
I don't think this story is funny at all.

Originally Posted by luv n tpa http://greekchat.com/gcforums/images...s/viewpost.gif

I did preface that it wasn't necessarily going to be hysterical. Perhaps it came off mean, but the situation was more awkward than anything else. Personally, I felt uncomfortable and rather out of place to inform a girl about recruitment with a big smile and excited tone when it ended up not working out for her. With all of the stories of orgs giving girls nicknames based on crazy antics, it reminded me of how all of us came up with the same one, though not necessarily based on weird behavior.

My apologies to anyone who saw an update and was excited to laugh a little. I'll go hide in the corner now ...

couggirl 08-23-2007 03:26 PM

I enjoy the weird stories, but this last one kinda of makes me sad a little.

However, and unrelated to the thread, I had a friend in high school who was a year older than me and people thought she was my mom because of how she acted and spoke. I never thought it was weird and never saw it.

33girl 08-23-2007 03:31 PM

There was a girl who went through rush who we all thought was a returning student - she looked at least 45. We found out later she was actually regular college age. It was like the opposite of that Law & Order episode where the girl looks 9 but she's 17.

AlphaFrog 08-23-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv n tpa (Post 1506564)
I did preface that it wasn't necessarily going to be hysterical. Perhaps it came off mean, but the situation was more awkward than anything else. Personally, I felt uncomfortable and rather out of place to inform a girl about recruitment with a big smile and excited tone when it ended up not working out for her. With all of the stories of orgs giving girls nicknames based on crazy antics, it reminded me of how all of us came up with the same one, though not necessarily based on weird behavior.

My apologies to anyone who saw an update and was excited to laugh a little. I'll go hide in the corner now ...

I don't think your story was any better/worse than 80% of them in here. This isn't FUNNY rush stories (though a lot are), it's WEIRD rush stories...
I think all 4 sororities coming up with the same nickname qualifies as weird...

twinkle555 09-04-2007 02:53 AM

Ok, so I have a few...

Story #1!!

There was this PNM who had gone through last fall and didnt get a bid anywhere. she came through again this year and when someone pointed her out to me I couldnt believe she didnt get a bid anywhere. She was really pretty, looked friendly, and had an expensive sundress on (Lilly P.=$$) so i figured maybe she had a bad GPA or something.

Well, by day 3 i guess she was fed up with us and told one of my pledge sisters that "we better drop her before she drops us." :eek: she then went on to say that she "knew where she was going." well my pledge sis told the rush chair and she sent in one of the older sisters to "scope her out" and get info out of her. the girl would NOT talk to anyone..but the older sister eventually got her to talk and we found out later that her roomie was an ABC and that she was going to be in the same sorority as her roomie.

She was dropped by everyone before prefs.

Story #2!!

My little sis came through in the spring, so she is pretty unexperienced with the whole recruitment thing. Just so happens that she ends up preffing this cute girl (we'll call her Jane) that told my little that "she really didnt want to be in a sorority because she couldnt afford it." WHAT? seriously? but it gets funnier...

Jane goes on to say that "we had a really cute house and we were all really sweet girls, but she was just going through recruitment to kill time and make friends before school started.":eek::eek::eek:

Sooo yea..pretty strange.

gets EVEN funnier...

guess who ended up on our bid list??

yep, Jane.

and guess who didnt show up for bid day??

you guessed it, Jane.
:confused:

GtownGirl98 09-05-2007 02:19 PM

twinkle... I don't think that story #2 was weird at all... we tell girls all the time to go through recruitment and try it out. It is a great way to meet people and see if greek life is for them. Plus with her telling the sister up front that she didn't have the funds was a big risk because that would be a BIG reason to release her if your chapter needed to do so.

Weird to me would the girl who switched name tags at pref, just to mess with the chapter, and lucky for the chapter the sister making the introductions had memorized all the names and the faces of the girls she was introducing that evening.

sarasmile 09-05-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GtownGirl98 (Post 1513407)
twinkle... I don't think that story #2 was weird at all... we tell girls all the time to go through recruitment and try it out. It is a great way to meet people and see if greek life is for them. Plus with her telling the sister up front that she didn't have the funds was a big risk because that would be a BIG reason to release her if your chapter needed to do so.

The only bad thing about the story that twinkle told is that the details didn't come out until prefs...when the girl was already somewhere on the bid list. And she actually ended up matching, quite possibly taking a spot from a girl who really wanted to be there.

If she wanted to go through rush but knew she'd never be able to afford it or show up to bid day, she shouldn't have signed a bid card after prefs.

twinkle555 09-05-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GtownGirl98 (Post 1513407)

Weird to me would the girl who switched name tags at pref, just to mess with the chapter, and lucky for the chapter the sister making the introductions had memorized all the names and the faces of the girls she was introducing that evening.

I just thought it was weird of her to put herself through the recruitment process to solely make friends in her Pi Chi group and NOT join a GLO. She woke up every morning at 7am (at least) and paid $65 maybe $75 just to register. Plus there is the heels!! i dunno..its just not the answer your expecting to hear during recruitment..especially during Prefs!! i also dont think its fair that she might have taken a bid from someone who actually wanted to be in a sorority.

Regina Filangie 09-05-2007 11:45 PM

There was thie one girl. She was my hometown (same as a lot of people at my school) and she came to a summer party for incoming freshman that was hosted by current students and alums. The subject of sororities and rushing came up and even though we all had to be neutral at that point we started talking about how great sorority life was and how we encouraged everyone to rush. One girl asked this incoming freshman girl, who had been kind of pitiful looking because she was lurking around not speaking to anyone, if she was rushing. She said "ugh, no way!" then walked away. This is a school in the south where greek life is very big so her comment was a definite glove slap!

So imagine our surprise when she registered for recruitment! She came on the first day wearing a baggy t-shirt and dirty jeans while all the other PNMs were in cute sundresses. She wouldn't talk to any of the actives when they tried to initiate conversation and she kept asking questions like "is it true that you have to sleep with 3 fraternity guys before you can initiate?" It was obvious that she was just trying to get a reaction out of the actives and that she wasn't really serious. But we were all just like "why are you even here?"

Cuts weren't made until the second round so the next day the PNMs attended all the houses again. She was paired with an active who is also from the same hometown and she is just the most genuinely nice person I've ever met. Againt the PNM is wearing a dirty t-shirt and jeans. The active starts making small talk and trying her hardest to engage this girl in conversation, and the PNM says "You don't have to be nice to me. I know you'll just talk s**t about me after I leave and after you cut me I'll never have to see any of you b***es again. I'm just rushing because my mom forced me." I guess her mom was standing right outside pushing her through the door of our house :rolleyes:

Needless to say she was cut from every house after that round. When her Rho Chis (one of whom is in my house and a close friend of mine) went to her room to tell her that she had been released from recruitment she said "thank god!" and slammed the door in their face.

But then the weirdest thing was that she tried COB the next spring! My chapter wasn't doing it that year but some of my friends from the other chapters that did said that she came and didn't really say much and was clearly uncomfortable (I wonder why!) But I really do think she wanted to be in a sorority at that point. She had contacted a bunch of girls in her dorm, some of whom were in my house, about COB and apparently seemed dissapointed when she found out that only a couple of the chapters were taking spring members. Obviously she didn't get an informal bid anywhere. All the chapters remembered her and it was just a joke that she came back in the spring after she had been so rude to all of us during formal.

She ended up transferring to a school on the west coast and I always wondered if she tried recruitment at her new school where nobody knew her.