GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

nucutiepie 08-28-2003 02:07 AM

We had this girl show up to one of our parties last year completely stoned - her eyes were all bloodshot and she reeked of marijuana smoke. She basically attacked the cookie tray when it came around - she shoved like six or seven cookies into her mouth! Then she asked one of my friends how our chapter felt about drug usage amongst its members. "Stoned Girl" was definitely entertaining, I will give you that.

DWAlphaGam 08-28-2003 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nucutiepie
We had this girl show up to one of our parties last year completely stoned - her eyes were all bloodshot and she reeked of marijuana smoke. She basically attacked the cookie tray when it came around - she shoved like six or seven cookies into her mouth! Then she asked one of my friends how our chapter felt about drug usage amongst its members. "Stoned Girl" was definitely entertaining, I will give you that.

We had a drunk girl show up at a COB event once. Unfortunately, we also had a pinata at the COB event, and drunk girl nearly took off one of my sisters' heads with the wiffle ball bat.

This was the same girl who, at one of my sisters' pinning party, told one of our alumna members that she couldn't believe that we invited her to our COB events, because she was obviously too good for us. :rolleyes: The alum told her, "By the way, I'm an AGD, and you're at an AGD event, so you might want to watch what you're saying." Needless to say, we cut her after the first round of recruitment...too good for us, my a$$.

MTSUGURL 09-08-2003 12:00 AM

BUMP

There's GOT to be some new stories now that so many schools have already had rush!

AngieWashU 09-08-2003 03:58 AM

Lei ceremony

There are a lot of DG chapters out there now that order leis from Hawaii for their PNMs to wear during the pref party and use in the pref ceremony. I am the ATC (Advisory Team Chair) for a DG chapter who just started using the lei ceremony last year. So the leis are ordered and delivered to the pref day party chair's house. She brings them to the DG house on the day of the party after storing them in her fridge, like she was supposed to.

We open the box and there are ice crystals on the leis b/c they were so cold. So we spread them out and try to let them warm up. They weren't completely warm or dry when the PNMs for the first party arrived. Our members, great troopers, wore the leis outside to greet the PNMs and then put the leis on the PNMs. At the end of the party, we took the leis back from the PNMs, and notices PURPLE OVAL STAINS from where the leis had rested on their clothes. To make it worse, Panhel at this school recommends that all PNMs wear light colors for prefs so they stand out from the members. So we marked the clothes, and the back of the necks, of our PNMs at our first pref party last year. Strangely enough, the majority of our pledge class (quota plus 1) came from that party.

This year we'll dry the leis a little earlier... :)

hannahgirl 09-08-2003 10:52 AM

Thanks for the tip! We'll be getting our leis Friday afternoon so we should have plenty of time to let them dry if they come like that. Prefs are on Saturday morning so we'll refrigerate them afterwards.

AOTTAdvisor 09-08-2003 11:35 AM

This was just kind of embarrassing because we looked dumb......
AOTT's philanthopy is Juvenile Arthritis Research and last year, we got this GREAT video about a camp(called Camp Esperanza) for kids with arthritis and all the things they get to do at this camp, etc etc. We played the video on our philanthropy day and because arthritis research is sometimes a hard topic to get excited about, we REALLY talked it up--how awesome the camp was, how much the kids got out of it, how we couldn't wait to go volunteer there, etc. Sadly, we found out at party#2, from a PNM that Camp Esperanza NO LONGER EXSISTED(the video was a few years old) and that even when it did, it was a rotating disease camp(ie, one year heart disease, the next year cancer), so even if we had been able to volunteer, it would not have been arthritis research only about one year every 6 or 7. Needless to say, we stopped talking about the volunteer trips we were taking there for the next 2 parties. We felt REALLY dumb!!

sugar and spice 02-02-2004 03:09 PM

I'm bumping this thread because I realized I didn't get to tell my "weird rushee" story from this year.

So I was talking to this girl during formal rush. She seemed pretty cool, she was friends with a girl in our house who she had done poms with in high school, we were from the same city so we had a decent amount to talk about. Just as I was about to get bumped, she asked me, "So after we leave, what happens? Do you guys all vote on us?"

She must have noticed the look on my face because she immediately said, "Oh, are you not allowed to tell us?" And I blathered something about it being confidential stuff and then handed her off to my sister L. who had just come over to bump me. I assumed that the girl was maybe just a little more straightforward than the other rushees I had talked to and thought nothing of it -- until a few minutes later when L. came over to me and said, "Okay, guess what that girl just said to me."

Apparently L. had asked her if she had any plans for the night after rush parties were over, and the girl told her, "Well, my boyfriend said he has a surprise for me, and I don't know what it is, but I shaved my legs!" in that winkwink-nudgenudge "I'm going to have sex tonight!" way. L. and I referred to her as TMI Girl for the rest of rush . . . Unfortunately we felt bad saying anything too negative about her because she was friends with one of the girls in the house! so she didn't get cut after that round . . . but lucky for us she ended up preffing elsewhere and is now an XYZ.

Xylochick216 02-03-2004 12:33 AM

OK, I've got twp funny ones for this year, but they didn't happen to me. The first was that one of our members was talking to a PNM and having a great conversation when she had the sudden urge to throw up. She threw her hand over her mouth and luckily made it out into the hall and into the bathroom!

The second was this PNM who was completely horrible. No one could get her to talk, and we kept sending floaters out to rescue our sister who was stuck with her for 40 minutes. This PNM had some fluffy pom-pom-like things on her nametag (at Elon all the PNMs make their own nametags to tell about themselves), and one floater went up to her and touched the pom-poms, saying "So do you like bunnies?" because she thought they were bunnies. She didn't realize the whole time that the "bunnies" were right on the PNM's breast and she had been grabbing her breast. Needless to say, the PNM didn't come back!

deadbear80 02-03-2004 12:58 AM

This happened back when I was a sophomore and doing rush on the 'other side' for the first time. I guess this isn't weird so much as it's funny....

During our pref ceremony we were using candles, each one of us holding one, which were supposed to stay lit until the PNMs had left the room. One of my sisters, as she was holding her candle and walking her PNM out of the door leaned over to say a parting word, and lit her hair on fire! One of our sisters came over to pat it out, but this sister was a little mortified, to say the least. The rest of us couldn't help but snicker a little (as the situation was something none of us was expecting).
If you've ever smelled burned hair it's worse than burnt rubber! But my sister took it in stride and during the next parties kind of laughed it off with the girls she was rushing.
This story has a happy ending though: the PNM who was walking out of the room with the sister when her hair caught on fire ended up becoming a sister herself!
And we used the story as a great 'funny sisterhood' moment during rush for the next couple of years.

ZTAngel 02-03-2004 09:20 AM

There was a similar situation in my chapter except it was a sister who had her hair caught on fire.
We were standing around with candles during prefs and we're supposed to be quiet since it's a solemn moment. One of my sisters starts screaming in the middle of the preference ceremony, "OH MY GOD! MY HAIR! MY HAIR!" I look over to see a few of hair strands on fire. Luckily, we were able to put it out before it did any real damage.
The whole house smelled like burnt hair....gross.

deadbear80 02-03-2004 09:52 AM

Re-reading my story, I found it wasn't clear.
It wasn't the PNM who caught her hair on the fire, but the sister! If the PNM had caught her hair on fire, she probably would not have come back, and I don't think our chapter EVER would have lived that one down!:)

ADqtPiMel 02-03-2004 10:04 AM

we had a really strange girl this year...she kept asking about things I couldn't answer, such as return rates, which "frats we party with", and how we do voting...but the kicker of our conversation was this:

Girl: So you guys are the sorority that's going to be shut down if you don't get more members, right?

Me: Whaaat? :eek: (Keep in mind that of 18 chapters at Miami, we are the second largest with 183 members.)

Girl: My Greek Life Guide told me that if you guys didn't get new members they were going to kick you off campus.

Me: Well, we are actually the second largest chapter on campus, and we are definitely not in danger of being kicked off...

Girl: Oh, I thought you guys were way too cute to be the bad sorority!

Me: :rolleyes:

It turns out she had our letters confused with the letters of a sorority that is "reorganizing" on our campus. What would possess someone to even think that was a good conversation topic?? Needless to say, we cut her.

zuzu575 02-03-2004 11:12 AM

we once had a girl take her shoes off and pick at a scab on her foot during a party. she was not invited back.

DWAlphaGam 02-03-2004 12:57 PM

My hair caught on fire right before pref started one year...I think I may have already posted about that, though.

ilovetheviolets 02-03-2004 03:03 PM

so i love formal rush and consider myself a pretty good rusher, all my rush crushes always end up being new members in my sorority, etc... so last week was formal rush, and i was on a roll. it was skit night, and these girls were both with out sisters. so i quickly went over to them to talk. this was my conversation with one of the girls.
me-"Hi! what did u think of the skit?"
PNM-"it was o.k.".
me-"Do you watch sex and the city" (our skit was that theme)
pnm-"no"
me"oh, it's great! you'll have to rent the tapes sometime. it takes place in nyc which is close to home for me, so i enjoy it. where do u call home?"
pnm-"jersey"
me-"very cool, my little is from there. do u like it?"
pnm-"eh"
the conversation continued w/ one word replies and also mocking along the way. i felt horrible for the other girl who was there (who i tried to bring into the conversation). i finally saw one of my sisters walk by and grabbed her to bump me out of this. the party ended and i felt drained. i could not believe it...possibly the LONGEST 8 minutes of my life!! i was literally in shock. needless to say she was not invited back, but get this...she was not invited back to any other sorority on campus. that fact made me feel a whole lot better...nice to know it wasn't me.
-violets