GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

Splash 04-07-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2034141)
was this really necessary?

was this?

AlphaFrog 04-07-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2044506)
was this?

How's bridge life? Redecorated lately?

Splash 04-07-2011 01:21 PM

Haven't had time. Too busy getting fed

thetaj 04-07-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katy Q (Post 2044493)
I've seriously been reading every post in this thread for the past several days. As a new member, it's funny to hear about the crazy things I might have to look forward to in the years to come!

Anyway, bumping because this thread got me thinking about awkward stories from going through recruitment a few months ago as a PNM:

The day before Pref (skit day) I was at XYZ house and was having a great time. It was my favorite house and I really wanted to make a good impression. The house was really well-decorated with their theme, so I commented on the really cool fabric wall hangings right near where my rusher and I were standing. She thanked me and talked about how hard they had been to hang/how late they had all stayed up decorating and how it had kind of been a bonding experience. Nice, right? Until about a second later when another girl comes up to bump, and my rusher says, "Oh hi _____, this is Katy. We were just talking about hanging things on walls" and then walks away.

It was definitely an awkward transition, and the new rusher looked at me like I was totally weird. Instead of saying "Huh, what a weird topic" and moving on, though, she tried to continue the conversation about hanging things on walls. Direct quote, and I kid you not: "So, uh...you really like hanging things on walls? What's the best way to do that?" It was so weird. I even tried to change the subject, but it didn't work.

I was cut from XYZ after that round but ended up very happy somewhere else. Still, though, I look back and shake my head since that weirdness could very well have been why they cut me. I mean, who wants to be a sister to "Hanging Things On Walls" Girl? Haha. :)

LOL. I may have to tell your story at some of my chapter's recruitment workshops if you don't mind :)

Psi U MC Vito 04-07-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2044509)
Haven't had time. Too busy getting fed

The Troll finally admits it!

aephi alum 04-07-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katy Q (Post 2044493)
The house was really well-decorated with their theme, so I commented on the really cool fabric wall hangings right near where my rusher and I were standing. She thanked me and talked about how hard they had been to hang/how late they had all stayed up decorating and how it had kind of been a bonding experience. Nice, right? Until about a second later when another girl comes up to bump, and my rusher says, "Oh hi _____, this is Katy. We were just talking about hanging things on walls" and then walks away.

It was definitely an awkward transition, and the new rusher looked at me like I was totally weird.

That has to be one of the most awkward bumps I've ever heard of. The first sister was probably just nervous - it may have been her first time on the other side. She should have done the introduction the other way around - "Oh hi ____ - Katy, this is my sister ____. We were just talking about how hard we worked on the decorations last night..." - and then eased herself out of the conversation.

Definitely share this story with your new sisters - it may save your chapter from some awkward bumps. And congrats!

33girl 04-07-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2044506)
was this?

Why are you defending a banned troll?

PiPhiTilIDie 04-11-2011 09:50 AM

I literally stayed up way too late last night reading this thread. Hahaha! Anyway, I have a few funny stories from when I was a rushee, but they definitely can't top some of these.

I remember the night of open house, I was at XYZ sorority and I was talking to one of the sisters out on the porch. She asked me what my major was and I told her that I was in biology studying to be a doctor. She looked at me, wide-eyed, and literally said, "So, you're like, really smart then? We don't really have a lot of really smart girls in this sorority." I was a little shocked she would say that to a rushee and needless to say, I dropped them the following day.

I also remember being at another sorority that same day and the only questions they would ask me related to money. For instance, she asked me what my parents do, what kind of car I drive, and if I live in a nice area back home. Really? This was the sorority that I had gone in thinking I would definitely rush, but my mind was completely changed after the onslaught of unnecessary questions. I'm very happy being a Pi Phi now and I wouldn't have it any other way!

CardinalXO 06-16-2011 08:13 PM

I love this thread, so I guess I am bumping.

These aren't laugh out loud hilarious but I thought they were amusing. At a GLO informational session in the spring a very unkept woman walks up to our booth. She is wearing big baggy jeans with holes in them and a ratty t-shirt with food stains all over it! We greet each other and ask if she has any questions, of course she does not, so we tell her about our purposes and how we are trying to live those out. We rattle off our high chapter GPA and all the work we do for the community. She gives us a look and says "That doesn't really sound like my cup of tea" and walks off. WTF?

This was at my pref party, we are walking down the stairs and the chapter members are singing to us, we are ushered out the front door and after about ten girls have left I feel the girl in front of me start to back into me. All the girls that had already left were pushed back in by the Gamma Chis and girls are colliding and falling down all while the sisters are still singing to us. After everyone has righted themselves (sisters are still singing) we then stand awkwardly facing the sisters while they sing the ending lines to the song over and over again for five minutes until the Gamma Chis let us leave.

angels&angles 06-16-2011 10:48 PM

At our first pref party my junior year, a PNM dropped out literally 3 seconds before the doors opened. PNMs were ordered alphabetically, and she had a last name that started with D. Effect: 90% of the party got paired with the wrong PNM. For a pref party, this was disaster! We were supposed to be preffing someone we knew really well, and instead about half of us were paired with a girl we'd barely, if ever, met! In the end, we all "bumped" after the first ceremony to the girl we were supposed to be with, but it was a disaster. (Esp. since we were using pictures from our time in the sorority as props, and obviously now our girl was sitting next to someone else's picture). I'm not sure what we could have done to correct the situation, but it was such a nightmare.

33girl 06-16-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardinalXO (Post 2063504)
I love this thread, so I guess I am bumping.

These aren't laugh out loud hilarious but I thought they were amusing. At a GLO informational session in the spring a very unkept woman walks up to our booth. She is wearing big baggy jeans with holes in them and a ratty t-shirt with food stains all over it! We greet each other and ask if she has any questions, of course she does not, so we tell her about our purposes and how we are trying to live those out. We rattle off our high chapter GPA and all the work we do for the community. She gives us a look and says "That doesn't really sound like my cup of tea" and walks off. WTF?

OK, if this would have been my chapter we would have been using this phrase for everything for the next year or so. "Jen, do you want to go to Wendy's with me?" "No Megan, that doesn't really sound like my cup of tea."

psusue 06-16-2011 11:48 PM

I think sufficient time has passed for me to tell these stories. I was afraid if I posted them too close to recruitment a PNM could find them, but I think I'm more in the clear now.

Most recently, during formal recruitment, I was talking to a girl (I believe at first rounds, so the round after open houses) and originally I was talking to the girl next to her, but the girl I was rushing people with was from her area, so we ended up switching places. Anyway, the second girl proceeded to ask me immediately, "so, are you friends with the girls in XYZ?" To which I replied yes, there were girls who I was friendly with in that sorority. But that wasn't good enough for her. She then said "no, but like are you good friends with any of the girls in XYZ?" I said that I wasn't good friends with anyone in particular, but I had seen many at all Greek events and was acquaintances with a few. I also mentioned that we were not supposed to talk about other sororities during recruitment and tried to steer the conversation elsewhere, but this girl would not give up! She kept asking about XYZ, to the point where I couldn't get the conversation to go anywhere else. It was so awkward. Thank God I only had about 5 minutes with her, because I was about to scream "if I wanted to be best friends with the girls in XYZ I would have JOINED XYZ, and if they want to be best friends with you they'll invite you back!" Blah. The real kicker though? I know for a fact that she didn't join XYZ, and we now all refer to her as 'XYZ girl' and use her as an example in recruitment workshops.

Another really painful recruitment story was my first time ever recruiting women during spring recruitment in 2010. We had raised total by 5 and we had lost a chapter and because of that we did this weird, partially structured recruitment that we had never done before and it was pretty strange. The women had to go to all of the sororities at least once over Monday and Tuesday (they could spend as little as 15 minutes or as long as they wanted as long as they visited all the sororities within the two days). I think CPH might have given each PNM a list of which sororities they had to see on each night (like half on one and half on the other) but I can't remember.

Anyway, Saturday was 'pref' (aka invitation only) and I ended up preffing two girls; one I'd met briefly, who was nice, and another I hadn't met at all. The girl I had met was very nice, and although she was clearly not interested in my chapter she was very kind and well mannered and answered all of my questions. The other girl however was extremely rude, giving one and two word answers when she could, blowing off any compliment I gave her (I really liked her necklace and she was just like 'thaaaaaanks' in a really obnoxious way). The real kicker though? Because there were no Pi Chis to lead the PNMs to parties, no one had taken their cell phones at the beginning of the party and the girl began to text people on hers!!! It was absolutely incredible and I could not believe her nerve. I mean the party was only one hour long and she had to attend it if she wanted a bid to the other sorority she was preffing, she could have at least made it pleasant while I tried my hardest to make her feel welcome. Gah. When you have to resort to questions like 'how far West have you been?' you know you've reached the bottom of the question barrel, but these girls didn't give me a lot to work with. Also during this same party, right next to me, another girl had out her cell phone and was completely ignoring her rusher--the then president of our sorority (and it was known that she was our president as she introduced herself to the whole group)!

It was such a disaster but the other girl I was rushing did try to be nice and have a good conversation. The only sticky part with that is that she was clearly a lot wealthier than pretty much anyone I'd ever met, because when I commented that I liked her ring she sad it was Dior. I then asked her (stupidly) 'wait, like real Dior?' And she replied yes, that she'd gotten it at Saks. I continued with the stupid line of questioning and said how I'd gone into Saks before just to look but didn't want to breathe on anything because of the prices. She replied that she shopped their often with her mom. I was pretty much dumbfounded by this and went on into a long spiel about how I bought all of my clothes at Goodwill and Target and how you can find such nice things if you look. She was polite about it but it pretty much underlined that we came from completely different backgrounds and socio-economic statuses. In my defense this was my first time on the other side of recruitment, and I know now that if a topic like that comes up to just kind of move on because talking about 'bucks' can be really uncomfortable. Although like I said, at this point we were hurting for topics so I guess talking awkwardly might have been better than silence... maybe? In any event, both women joined chapters and the only weird thing is when I see the rude girl at all Greek events. She pretends like she doesn't know me/has never met me. This is a good reminder to PNMs that even if you are rude and still somehow get a bid to a chapter, you will still have to see the women you met during recruitment for the next 3 years at all Greek events (overlapping classes and clubs notwithstanding), so it's best to be nice and polite even if you think you won't join their chapter.

AZTheta 06-17-2011 09:39 AM

psusue, although I'm not QFP'ing you in this comment, I'd like to ask your permission to share your experiences with the chapter I advise. You make some incredibly important points, most especially this:

"...even if you are rude and still somehow get a bid to a chapter, you will still have to see the women you met during recruitment for the next 3 years at all Greek events (overlapping classes and clubs notwithstanding), so it's best to be nice and polite even if you think you won't join their chapter."

I'm not even going to comment on the cell phone/text issue. Gah! I get that this generation has grown up with a phone in their hands, but there are limits to my patience and tolerance for said "digital addictions".

Only thing I can contribute to this thread: my experience with the PNM whose last name was a flying mammal. When she introduced herself (during the first round of parties), she imitated the mammal by flapping her arms and making a bat face by scrunching up her eyes and baring her teeth. THEN she said, "oh and there's also baseball" and pretended to swing a bat. She then looked at me, expectantly, and said "get it?" Well, I lost it. I couldn't look at anyone else, I nodded and said to the active seated next to me, "would you excuse me for just a minute?" and then went into the kitchen at the other end of the chapter house and laughed until I cried. I'm sure there were plenty of other crazy stories back in the day, but that is the one that always makes me howl with laughter to this very day.

And no, she was not invited to return. I have no idea what happened to her.

FleurGirl 06-17-2011 04:33 PM

We had one girl during formal recruitment one year who was a complete TERROR. Rude, nonresponsive, one-word answers, the works. She obviously didn't want to be there or just straight up didn't care. The three or four girls who talked to her during the party were shocked at how dreadful she was. Our president, who tries to meet as many PNMs as she can during the first round, came by to talk, and the girl all of a sudden did a total 180 and was sweet as could be. I don't know if she thought we didn't talk to each other, or if the president made all the decisions, or what, but she was obviously not invited back!

als463 06-17-2011 06:06 PM

psusue, You know, I read your story and the entire time I thought, "I hope she didn't join my organization. I'd hate to think any of my sisters acted like that." I think the Sigmas at Penn State are lovely girls and I wish them the best of luck during recruitment! I'm sure you did fine!