GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

Drolefille 02-03-2011 09:45 PM

^^^ I figured as much honeychile, it just turned into an interesting threadjack for a bit.

Alumiyum 02-03-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2026602)
I've been away and missed the commentary on Allergy Girl. This woman was pretty much demanding that we don't serve anything containing her allergents. Had she pulled one or two sisters aside and said, "I don't know what you plan to serve at Pref, but I'm allergic to Rat Poison," I don't think anyone's feathers would have been ruffled. Had she simply come to Pref, and said, "I'm so sorry, I'm allergic to Rat Poison," nobody's feathers would have been ruffled. It was the assumption that a) she would be invited to Pref and b) her demanding tone that turned off so many of us. And now that I think of it, one of the things had something to do with her wearing braces - not an allergy at all!

MAYBE she was one of those that can't be in the same room as a certain food item? I'm hoping that's the case because otherwise, there's no excuse for being a bitch about it.

And especially if her complaint had to do with braces. I had braces in high school. I didn't eat popcorn even though everyone around me did. I lived.

IndianaSigKap 02-05-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2026398)
Back in the 90s at UGA (same school as GeorgiaGreek, different timeline):


Prefs - Of the two houses I hit- one had cheesecake, strawberries and grapes (red, buff and green - guess who?!) the other did petit fours with violets on them, mixed nuts, and a chocolate strawberry. Both had sparkling cider.

.

I loved the petit fours with violets on the them! We always got them for our alumnae event in the spring. I loved the alumnae event, partially because I always enjoyed talking to the older (in their 60s) alumnae and partially for the petit fours. Growing up i had a very proper great aunt who took a liking to me and she would send them to me and they always reminded me of her. There was a bakery in our college town that made amazing ones! When I began advising a chapter I ordered petit fours for their pref event and the chapter had never seen them. They started calling them the fancy little cakes. One of the PMNs one year thought they were miniature Little Debbie cakes. smh

WCsweet<3 02-05-2011 06:29 PM

Not sure why I didn't post this closer to recruitment, but here is my weird PNM.

So "Suzie" was a one of the PNMs in my Rho Gamma group. During orientation we have the PNMs fill out a card with their schedule so that if there were conflicts with recruitment we could alert the houses. Also if the lovely PNM skips parties (of course they wouldn't...) we kick them out of recruitment. The first two days of recruitment we have we visit all nine of the chapters (one of which is a local and who only shows a presentation). Day one and two for open house, Suzie attends three out of the five chapters and is unable to attend any of the chapters for the next day because she was sick. So I call her and she gives me her preferences for the card to fill out for her. I told her to just be warned that some of the houses may not call her back because they haven't met her (procedure I assure you).

The next day, Suzie has a full schedule, with all of her first choices. Well that is all well and good. She is too sick to go to parties that day. She calls and gives me her preferences again. I again warn her about the chances of her being invited back.

The next day, full schedule and all her number one choices. At this point, only only two of her scheduled chapters have met her. My partner and I were beginning to wonder if she was super PNM or something and did everything in high school/was a legacy everywhere. This day she made it to I think three out of the four chapters before she was "throwing up in the 7-11" parking lot. Okay go home. How do you want me to fill out your card?

Pref night: yup you guessed it her top three choices on her schedule. They were the three she visited the night before She attended all her parties this night.

I had super PNM/legacy or something. she ended up joining a chapter she only visited twice. It sounds less ridiculous here, but during recruitment we were all so confused.



About the allergies: we had an active who was super allergic to just about everything. We decided to make a table for girls who have allergies on pref night. That way it is easier for us to accommodate the allergies by having us not have to pick out the girls who are allergic and give them a plate. With the special table, we set all the other places and other sisters bring out the plates for the girls with allergies. It varies by party but if you are the first or second party you give a salad. If you are the third or fourth party, you serve dessert. We usually do grasshopper pie, so if you are lactose intolerant, allergic to dairy or gluten intolerant (or whatever) you get something special instead.

FSUZeta 02-06-2011 08:59 AM

so you never got the 411 on who this "special" woman really was?

carnation 02-06-2011 09:15 AM

FSU, can you see this happening an ACC or SEC school? Haha!

honeychile 02-06-2011 11:42 AM

Thinking back to the allergies, it would be so much easier now. PNM could write a list of her allergies, and hand it to her RC or to each chapter. The woman of whom I was speaking had a list as long as a scroll!

KSUViolet06 02-06-2011 05:26 PM

We had food at House Tours and Preference.

House Tours: Mini desserts. drinks. fruit trays.

Preference: Mini sandwiches, quiches, etc. drinks.

Never full meals.

xomanadaxo 02-15-2011 10:12 AM

A sister told me yesterday she was having a conversation with a PNM and the girl farted. The PNM was really embarrassed, but she came back the next day, so it must not have embarrassed her too badly!

Splash 02-15-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2026602)
I've been away and missed the commentary on Allergy Girl. This woman was pretty much demanding that we don't serve anything containing her allergents. Had she pulled one or two sisters aside and said, "I don't know what you plan to serve at Pref, but I'm allergic to Rat Poison," I don't think anyone's feathers would have been ruffled. Had she simply come to Pref, and said, "I'm so sorry, I'm allergic to Rat Poison," nobody's feathers would have been ruffled. It was the assumption that a) she would be invited to Pref and b) her demanding tone that turned off so many of us. And now that I think of it, one of the things had something to do with her wearing braces - not an allergy at all!

Wasn't the point to alert ahead of time though? Regardless of her demanding tone (inappropriate) waiting until she's at pref sort of defeats the purpose.

GeorgiaGreek 02-15-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xomanadaxo (Post 2030504)
A sister told me yesterday she was having a conversation with a PNM and the girl farted. The PNM was really embarrassed, but she came back the next day, so it must not have embarrassed her too badly!

Oh no! I feel bad for the PNM, but the immature part of my brain finds that really funny.
I'm glad they didn't judge her too much for it. At schools where you have 1000 girls rushing with 8 hour days and almost no time to go to the bathroom, I'm sure it's happened before.

AlphaFrog 02-15-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2030531)
Wasn't the point to alert ahead of time though? Regardless of her demanding tone (inappropriate) waiting until she's at pref sort of defeats the purpose.

She said that the PNM could have taken a couple sisters aside, or just not eat at Pref...not sure what your point is, slick.

MysticCat 02-15-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash (Post 2030531)
Wasn't the point to alert ahead of time though? Regardless of her demanding tone (inappropriate) waiting until she's at pref sort of defeats the purpose.

It was inappropriate for her to mention it at all, as doing so presumes that one will receive an invitation. If there's going to be talk about "defeating the purpose," then this particular PNM defeated the purpose of going through recruitment, because she showed herself to both ill-mannered and very high maintenance.

Splash 02-15-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2030562)
It was inappropriate for her to mention it at all, as doing so presumes that one will receive an invitation. If there's going to be talk about "defeating the purpose," then this particular PNM defeated the purpose of going through recruitment, because she showed herself to both ill-mannered and very high maintenance.

Mentioning it is not inappropriate if the presence of an item at pref is a threat to the PNM. I'm assuming this PNM has a reaction in the presence of the item, as she could simply politely decline otherwise.

I did misread the initial post though (even though I quoted) and there is an offered solution of quietly pulling one or two sisters aside and mentioning humbly.

AGDee 02-15-2011 09:13 PM

If a PNM has an allergy so severe that being in the room with it (thinking peanut allergy) would send her into an allergic reaction, then the appropriate thing for her to do is to alert her Recruitment Counselor at the orientation meeting so that all chapters can be notified well in advance and plan accordingly.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.