GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

ASTalumna06 01-27-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston327 (Post 2024238)
Not weird in a bad way, but in an "it-really-is-a-small-world" way:

So I'm talking to this kid we've just bidded and we get onto hometowns. Turns out he's from an area of Connecticut where I have a lot of family, so I start talking about my family history up there and it turns out that not only is he from the next town over from my grandmother but he's shopped in my great uncle's toy store and my great uncle was on first-name basis with him. Pretty awesome IMO, definitely want this kid as my little 100x more now.

This reminds me of my first encounter with my freshman year roommate...

When I arrived in my room, she already had all of her stuff set up (she was on the soccer team and arrived at school a week early), but she wasn't there. I noticed on the wall one of those old time photos. So she finally shows up, we talked for a bit, I found out she was from Connecticut, I lived in NH at the time, we were both New Englanders, blah blah blah. So after a little while, I asked her where she got the old time photo done, as I had one done at the beach that summer with my friends. So she said at Hampton Beach (in NH). She said that since she was little, her and her family have been vacationing there for one week out of the summer... so did I. I asked her where she stayed and she said Highland Ave... so did I. We eventually figured out that our families would vacation at this same beach, on the same road, in houses across the street from each other, one week apart - her and her family during the 2nd week of July, me and mine during the 3rd week.

What are the odds?!

Ok, now back to the thread...

StarryNightASA 01-27-2011 01:14 AM

During philanthropy day at this year's recruitment, my sorority showed a slideshow for the first few minutes of the parties while the Philanthropy chair explained more about Special Olympics and the S. June Smith Center. I looked over and there was a PNM who had fallen asleep. Needless to say, she did not come back the next day.

BraveMaroon 01-27-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGreek (Post 2023728)
I thought of another odd story from this past recruitment..

To preface, I'll say that SDT at UGA has a great deal of Jewish members. A lot of PNM's know this coming through rush beforehand, some find out through tent talk, and some never realize it at all. Most girls are aware of this however, and those that feel that being a member of a predominately Jewish house make their selections accordingly.

Back in the mid-90s, when I went through at UGA, SDT didn't have any non-Jewish members, though DPhiE did. I actually loved both houses but they both set me free right before prefs (my father's side is Jewish, mother's side is Christian, but I was raised without organized religion - so I was pretty much down with anything).

I always felt really bad because there were at least one or two really mean girls outside the house before each party who would say nasty (and even anti-semetic) things that made my stomach hurt.

One girl standing right next to me turned to me and said, "Why am I still here? I mean HELLO? Do they NOT see the gold cross I'm wearing? If I am invited next round, I'm wearing a swastika!"

My eighteen-year-old self could only drop her jaw and look dumb. I should have said something. I still regret that.

I always tried to be dream rushee at those houses to make up for the bitchy girls.

I also agree with your rushee that your house did a good job getting to know us.

Jill1228 01-27-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2024373)

One girl standing right next to me turned to me and said, "Why am I still here? I mean HELLO? Do they NOT see the gold cross I'm wearing? If I am invited next round, I'm wearing a swastika!"

No she didn't! :mad: It woulda served the little heffa right if she didn't get a bid anywhere! Just sayin'

DeltaBetaBaby 01-27-2011 12:41 PM

At Illinois, I heard that AEPhi would tell PNM's at second invitational (the round right before pref) that they are a predominantly Jewish house, and they have Jewish ties in their history. Apparently, I am Jewish enough that they skipped over that part with me.

GeorgiaGreek 01-29-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2024373)

I also agree with your rushee that your house did a good job getting to know us.

There are a few girls who come through and basically wave their cross necklace at the sister who they're talking to. It's tempting sometimes to want to say "that's enough, honey. I see it." But ignoring it is a much smarter move. What are they so worried about, having to spend another whole 40 minutes here again? Sounds awful.

We are alway told during rush that even if a girl has zero desire to join SDT, and you know for sure they won't end up pledging, you talk to them like you'd talk to any other PNM. Not that we need to be explicitly told this, but sometimes, every sorority member could use a reminder that recruitment not only functions to bring in the next year's pledge class, but also shapes girls' opinions of the house who will end up in other sororities. After all, these are people you are going to see in classes, going out, philanthropy events...if you can't make them your sister, you should still make them like you!

FSUZeta 01-29-2011 06:54 PM

you're so right.

i always told the chapter i advise that i hoped that they left the pnms with the a positive impression and that even though they could not pledge everyone, and there would be pnms who liked other chapters better, that all would leave saying what a great group zta was.

BraveMaroon 01-29-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGreek (Post 2025012)

We are alway told during rush that even if a girl has zero desire to join SDT, and you know for sure they won't end up pledging, you talk to them like you'd talk to any other PNM. Not that we need to be explicitly told this, but sometimes, every sorority member could use a reminder that recruitment not only functions to bring in the next year's pledge class, but also shapes girls' opinions of the house who will end up in other sororities. After all, these are people you are going to see in classes, going out, philanthropy events...if you can't make them your sister, you should still make them like you!

Word. Back in the day, your house had a great reputation, and I am sure it still does. Sounds like you have a good rush attitude.

Which reminds me of a rude rushee story...

During my sophomore year, we had a rushee come through that we were on RED ALERT for. Her grandmother sent us a letter of introduction for her last granddaughter going through rush. None of the others had gone to schools with a Sigma Kappa chapter, and this was her final chance to pass on her pin. So this, was of course a VERY BIG DEAL.

So, grandmama sent a letter, a collage of photos of her babygirl, and a two page resume of everything Precious Angel had going for her.

Back in the day, during Polish Week (do they still call it that?), we had copies of recs and such put up on the mirrors in our bathrooms and on the doors of each stall, so that we'd have names and such burned in our brains. Classy, but since eventually, everybody's gotta go, it was effective.

So, the first round arrives, and we find out which party we're going to be at and Precious Angel walks in the door and ends up with a girl from my pledge class. She welcomes the girl and a few minutes into the conversation, mentions that we got the nicest letter from grandmama, and feel like we know so much about her already.

Precious Angel says, "My grandmother is crazy, and I am NOT joining this crappy sorority."

At which point, my sister frantically taps out with someone who was floating and runs off in tears.

Clearly, she wasn't back for Second Round.

FSUZeta 01-29-2011 07:29 PM

poor grandma and poor rusher!

BraveMaroon 01-29-2011 08:18 PM

We felt reaaaally bad for the grandmother - I honestly don't remember where Precious Angel ended up, but wherever it was, I hope they taught her some tact.

PhoenixAzul 01-29-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

This is an awesome perspective, one that I've not heard articulated before. Thank you for this!

33girl 01-30-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

There are a few girls who come through and basically wave their cross necklace at the sister who they're talking to. It's tempting sometimes to want to say "that's enough, honey. I see it." But ignoring it is a much smarter move. What are they so worried about, having to spend another whole 40 minutes here again? Sounds awful.

This totally reminds me of Andrea going through rush on 90210.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2025021)
"My grandmother is crazy, and I am NOT joining this crappy sorority."

I think this happens way way WAY more often than anyone than anyone realizes, and moms/grandmas/sisters sending in recs really need to have an honest discussion with their angels and make sure being in a sorority is really what they want.

honeychile 01-30-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2025106)
This totally reminds me of Andrea going through rush on 90210.

It reminds me of MY rush, only it went both ways - the sorority trying to find out shat religion you were, and you being immediately cut from sororities where you weren't the right religion.

Quote:

I think this happens way way WAY more often than anyone than anyone realizes, and moms/grandmas/sisters sending in recs really need to have an honest discussion with their angels and make sure being in a sorority is really what they want.
Like our nightmare 5-generation legacy!

DeltaBetaBaby 01-30-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2025168)
It reminds me of MY rush, only it went both ways - the sorority trying to find out shat religion you were, and you being immediately cut from sororities where you weren't the right religion.

FTR, you can't discount "she is obviously going to join a Jewish house, let's not invite her back" being as much of a factor as "we don't want a Jewish girl".

honeychile 01-30-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2025173)
FTR, you can't discount "she is obviously going to join a Jewish house, let's not invite her back" being as much of a factor as "we don't want a Jewish girl".

I rushed when dinosaurs ruled the earth. The decree of who could join which sorority had been recinded a few years before, but that doesn't mean they weren't followed.

And FWIW, I have no idea what FTR means.