GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

naraht 03-08-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1904910)
The sorority can only wish.;)

Agreed. I have seen what can only be described as the ultimate other end of the scale.

Alpha Phi Omega (co-ed fraternity) chapter invites relatively recent past national president (PNP) to brotherhood ceremony. The PNP shows up at the brotherhood ceremony (about 30 miles from his house) only to find that his daughter was one of the pledges being initiated that evening. His daughter not only hadn't told the PNP, apparently she hadn't told the chapter about being the daughter of the PNP until after she went through the pledging ceremony.

carnation 06-14-2010 07:44 AM

bump for summertime recruitment entertainment

aephi alum 06-14-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 1942664)
bump for summertime recruitment entertainment

Drat! I thought you had a story to share, carnation! ;)

IrishLake 06-14-2010 07:21 PM

I can't think of any insanely funny experiences... but there was one girl, just a weirdo all the way around. She was dropped from us. We knew she was rushing us hardcore, and she was a sophomore so she knew a lot about the groups on campus. She suicided us going into pref, and she was dropped (for various worthwhile reasons). She was devestated. She ended up accepting a snap bid to another chapter. Then she ended up toiletpapering the bushes of our house, and egging the windows and porch as well. She ended up depledging from her group a few days before initiation. She kept bugging several sisters, from my chapter and the other 2 chapters on the campus, if we were doing informal rush in the spring. We weren't. She would call the houses, call the off campus associated houses, show up on "The Floor" (the dorm reserved for sophomore sorority members). Funnily enough, the only chapter that ever consistently did spring informal was the group she depledged from. She rushed again the following fall as a junior, and was dropped by all of the houses. She was a pretty girl, but crazy as hell.

FSUZeta 06-14-2010 07:46 PM

me too!

lovespink88 06-14-2010 07:50 PM

Wrong thread?? ^^ lol

KSUViolet06 06-14-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishLake (Post 1942966)
I can't think of any insanely funny experiences... but there was one girl, just a weirdo all the way around. She was dropped from us. We knew she was rushing us hardcore, and she was a sophomore so she knew a lot about the groups on campus. She suicided us going into pref, and she was dropped (for various worthwhile reasons). She was devestated. She ended up accepting a snap bid to another chapter. Then she ended up toiletpapering the bushes of our house, and egging the windows and porch as well. She ended up depledging from her group a few days before initiation. She kept bugging several sisters, from my chapter and the other 2 chapters on the campus, if we were doing informal rush in the spring. We weren't. She would call the houses, call the off campus associated houses, show up on "The Floor" (the dorm reserved for sophomore sorority members). Funnily enough, the only chapter that ever consistently did spring informal was the group she depledged from. She rushed again the following fall as a junior, and was dropped by all of the houses. She was a pretty girl, but crazy as hell.

Crazy. Did she think this was going to make you guys like her more?

IrishLake 06-14-2010 09:11 PM

Nope, just psycho with giant brass balls.

TinyDancer98 06-16-2010 03:59 AM

We had a girl come through formal recruitment a few years ago that many of us really liked. We have deferred recruitment, and I'd met her the previous semester at a Panhellenic open event- she was a very nice girl, a little edgier than most of the girls who go greek on my campus, but she was funny and unique and easy to get along with. She'd been having great conversations with sisters throughout the week and came back for pref. Our campus isn't overly competitive in recruitment, but most PNMs take pref very seriously, and as it is an evening pref in January, usually wear black or dark dresses. Well, this PNM walks in the door and all heads turn- she is wearing a bright yellow strapless satin dress that probably totaled about two feet in length. She wasn't an unattractive girl but the dress was far too small for her and she wasn't wearing underwear, so in addition to far too much cleavage spilling over the top of her dress, she looked ready to bust out at any minute and her behind was just barely covered. Poor wardrobe choices happen, and aside from a few raised eyebrows, my sisters went about as usual.

When we reached the ceremony part of our pref, we were doing a slightly new pref which involved a short public pref of each PNM before we broke of to do private pref. I was preffing a girl during that party, so I was standing along one wall with the other sisters who were preffing (our PNMs were standing in front of us). When her turn came, the sister preffing Yellow Dress led her into the center of the room, so the sister was facing us with her back to the sisters who weren't preffing. I couldn't see the PNM's face, but about halfway through her pref, she reached down to apparently scratch an itch on her upper thigh. Apparently this involved shifting her (already dangerously short) dress upward, and I watched the faces of my sisters turn to horror as they saw much more of a view than they were bargaining for. All the PNMs were facing them, so most of them recovered quickly, but most of the chapter dissolved into laughter 15 minutes later when the PNMs left, Yellow Dress merrily waving goodbye. Please know that there was no cruel judgement on the part of my sisters (lord knows there are girls in every chapter that could use a lesson on tasteful clothing) but the money shot right in the middle of pref was a bit much to handle.

This PNM ended up pledging another chapter, but dropped a few weeks into her pledge period. I see her out sometimes and she is usually highly intoxicated but very friendly!

FSUZeta 06-16-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 1942974)
me too!

actually, i was agreeing with someone who hoped that carnation was going to share some weird rush stories, but i had to go back a couple of pages to figure out what i had intended!

carnation 06-16-2010 08:43 AM

LOL. Well, I can not believe that with 6 daughters and 1 son who are Greek, not a one has a story to tell about a weird PNM. I think I'll ask some of their friends.

DrPhil 06-16-2010 09:43 AM

That yellow satin dress sounds really pretty given the right body and undergarments.

Shellfish 06-16-2010 10:58 AM

I do have a strange story that isn't from rush but expansion, but if you're looking for awkwardness, it fits the bill.

When I was an advisor, the Panhellenic was expanding by matching up two locals with nationals. There were presentations by five sororities, and each of the existing NPC chapters had an alumna and a collegiate vote. Before one of the presentations, I was looking at the displays, along with the collegiate member from my chapter (I'll call her L), and a friend of hers from another sorority, when an alumna of the presenting group approached us and noticed our pins. "Are those your boyfriends' fraternity pins?" she asked. L told her politely that they were our sorority pins, that we were from Kappa Delta and Sigma Delta Tau. "Oh," said the alumna, "then you're from the locals?"

Psi U MC Vito 06-16-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellfish (Post 1943568)
I do have a strange story that isn't from rush but expansion, but if you're looking for awkwardness, it fits the bill.

When I was an advisor, the Panhellenic was expanding by matching up two locals with nationals. There were presentations by five sororities, and each of the existing NPC chapters had an alumna and a collegiate vote. Before one of the presentations, I was looking at the displays, along with the collegiate member from my chapter (I'll call her L), and a friend of hers from another sorority, when an alumna of the presenting group approached us and noticed our pins. "Are those your boyfriends' fraternity pins?" she asked. L told her politely that they were our sorority pins, that we were from Kappa Delta and Sigma Delta Tau. "Oh," said the alumna, "then you're from the locals?"

That is just sad.

33girl 06-16-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellfish (Post 1943568)

Was this pre-internet??

If not, I'm hoping the alum was either really old or really young, or from a really small and isolated school.

I mean I know that many of my chapter sisters (from our small isolated school) wouldn't have known (or still know) some of the sorority names...but an alumna chosen as a representative for a presentation should have her isht together.