GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

honeydew 01-30-2009 01:05 PM

I've been lurking for a while, reading through every page of this thread and loving it. I've finally got my own weird rush story to share after last night.

We have informal continuous recruitment at our school, so last night during our third recruitment party, we played a game to get to know one another that required everyone to answer a few questions about themselves. The questions were along the lines of a random fact about yourself, celebrity crush, favorite child hood memory, favorite movie etc.

Most of the sisters and PNMs at the party answer their questions and it's going well. A new PNM that hadn't attended any of the previous parties and came late to the party (after mingling was over) sat next to me so I tried to engage her in conversation and get to know her, but she kind of gave off a weird vibe and answered most of what I said with one word answers. I decided she must just be nervous or something.

When it finally gets to be her turn to answer a few questions about her self, she timidly stands up, mumbles quietly "Mynameis ___________ I'mfrom ______________ andmyrandominterestingfactis..." and begins to say much more loudly, POINTING at one of the few African American sisters in our chapter directly, "I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE. THEY ARE WAY MORE FUN THAN WHITE PEOPLE" and proceeds to sit down.

I'll never forget the moment of silence and shocked, open-mouthed stares that followed.

agzg 01-30-2009 01:51 PM

I'm having a hard time remembering any strange PNMs from when I was an active, but I suppose I have a weird story about myself, and although I think I posted it somewhere else, I'll post it here, too.

I joined during informal recruitment, so my first experience with formal was as an active. I was so nervous about it because I remembered the girls going through the year before, and how nervous they were about it, plus our VPM and VPR were really stressing to us the week before about how important it was that we put our best foot forward and work out butts off to get the best NM class.

The first day of recruitment, before the parties that night, I was not feeling well at all. I had a migraine and that made me feel nauseated plus I was coming down with a cold. However, recruitment was OMG MANDATORY YOU WILL BE FINED so I had to go. I went to my apartment (all upperclassmen live in apartments at my school, either on campus or off), raided my roommate's medicine bag, took two excedrine migraine and a bunch of vitamin C, B, anything I thought would help me feel better (I guess you could say I was pretty stupid).

I put my cute Alpha Gam letter shirt on, put on a nice pair of jeans, and went on my way. After getting to the room we were having our first party in (first round was in the campus center, other rounds after that were at the houses), I started freaking out. I noticed that I was breaking out in hives, and that set off a chain reaction for the freak out of the century. Something I had taken was not reacting very well!!!

I ran to the bathroom with a couple of sisters in tow. I don't normally wear a lot of make-up, maybe just some eyeshadow with a little mascara, so I didn't have any on me. One of my sisters hooked me up with some foundation and concealer to try to hide some of the hives that I had on my face, but it was the wrong color! I looked like the biggest mess ever, especially because I was wearing my glasses due to the migraine, because the reason I got them was because I'm an idiot and never wore my glasses or contacts unless I was in class. Add all that together with my eyes, which were puffy and bloodshot from crying, and I looked like a meth addict after a long, hard night.

My sisters felt bad, but there really wasn't anything they could do besides putting me on food duty and making sure PNMs didn't get too close to see the horrible mess that I was. Needless to say I didn't really meet any of our PNMs until second round - I didn't vote first round because I didn't meet any of them.

I was a recruitment counselor for formal recruitment for my junior and senior years. I didn't want a repeat performance to reflect poorly on my chapter!

ASTalumna06 01-30-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeydew (Post 1772625)
We have informal continuous recruitment at our school, so last night during our third recruitment party, we played a game to get to know one another that required everyone to answer a few questions about themselves. The questions were along the lines of a random fact about yourself, celebrity crush, favorite child hood memory, favorite movie etc.

This reminded me of a story our chapter advisor told me once...

Years ago, when she was active, they had a recruitment party where they did something similar to this, and all the girls would go around and answer the questions asked to them. One PNM had some interesting answers...

First Question: If you were to be stranded on a desert island for a year, what's one thing you would take with you?
Her Answer: The men's hockey team!

Second Question: What's your favorite food?
Her Answer: Jello shots!

Third Question: What would you rather do? .. Ride an elephant or ride a camel?
Her Answer: Is there a third option...?

And my favorite...

Fourth Question: Who is your hero?
Her Answer: My mom (awww..) ... because she buys me anything I want.

:rolleyes:

They basically stopped playing the game after that. The girls weren't sure if the PNM was just trying to be funny, but needless to say, this girl DID NOT receive a bid!

beccaminister 01-30-2009 08:19 PM

Back in the day we had this PNM that put us all in a really sticky ethical delimma. She was physically handicapped and in a wheelchair, but god was she ever a b**ch. She badmouthed every sorority including ours while at one of our parties. She was offended when someone knelt to be on eye level, and then was offended when the next girl didn't. She called people names, actually used curse words when speaking to the sisters.

But when it came time to cut, we were torn...we didn't want it to seem like we were cutting her because of the wheelchair. We finally decided that if we would have cut her if she was not in the chair that we should cut her chair or not.

Turns out every other sorority did the exact same thing.

She later said that all the groups had been discriminating. *sigh*

KSUViolet06 01-30-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccaminister (Post 1772798)
Back in the day we had this PNM that put us all in a really sticky ethical delimma. She was physically handicapped and in a wheelchair, but god was she ever a b**ch. She badmouthed every sorority including ours while at one of our parties. She was offended when someone knelt to be on eye level, and then was offended when the next girl didn't. She called people names, actually used curse words when speaking to the sisters.

She later said that all the groups had been discriminating. *sigh*

Of course.

There are some people with disabilities who are always going to place the blame on their disability whenever they don't get something, and they'll never examine their own behavior.

MaggieXi 02-02-2009 10:49 AM

A PNM recently went through a chapter that I help recruitment with. She apparently went to all the houses saying she wanted to be in whatver sorority her Pi Chi was in, and then would give her Pi Chi's name and asked if she was a member of that sorority.

HotDamnImAPhiMu 02-02-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccaminister (Post 1772798)
She badmouthed every sorority including ours while at one of our parties. She was offended when someone knelt to be on eye level, and then was offended when the next girl didn't. She called people names, actually used curse words when speaking to the sisters.

Forget the chair. Sounds like her handicap was being a bitch.

Gusteau 02-06-2009 03:29 PM

I love reading this thread because its the kind of thing that you think will never happen to you, and then it does.

I went up to a kid during rush the other night who I hadn't yet had a chance to meet and introduced myself. I asked him if he'd been having a good time and went to scratch my back. He said, "What are you doing?" and, confused, I said, "Scratching my back...?" He proceeded to peer around me to make sure I was just scratching my back and said, "Sorry I'm and administration of justice major, they teach us not to trust people with their hands behind their backs." All I could think of to say was, "Nope, just scratching." Honestly, as if I were going to shank him at a rush event...

LucyKKG 02-06-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusteau (Post 1776263)
I love reading this thread because its the kind of thing that you think will never happen to you, and then it does.

I went up to a kid during rush the other night who I hadn't yet had a chance to meet and introduced myself. I asked him if he'd been having a good time and went to scratch my back. He said, "What are you doing?" and, confused, I said, "Scratching my back...?" He proceeded to peer around me to make sure I was just scratching my back and said, "Sorry I'm and administration of justice major, they teach us not to trust people with their hands behind their backs." All I could think of to say was, "Nope, just scratching." Honestly, as if I were going to shank him at a rush event...

Your response was a lot better than any I could've mustered. I probably would've made an awkward joke and then faked like I was gonna shake him. Lol...oh dear...

VandalSquirrel 02-06-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucyKKG (Post 1776264)
Your response was a lot better than any I could've mustered. I probably would've made an awkward joke and then faked like I was gonna shake him. Lol...oh dear...

Well that's why they call it "cut from recruitment"

ZTA72 02-06-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel (Post 1776265)
Well that's why they call it "cut from recruitment"

That made me LOL. All these stories are too funny. Just when you think you've heard/seen it all.

VandalSquirrel 02-06-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTA72 (Post 1776269)
That made me LOL. All these stories are too funny. Just when you think you've heard/seen it all.

I was told by a Greek Advisor to stop saying CUT and to say RELEASED, so perhaps if one is getting shanked they aren't getting "cut" but "released from life"

I needed this thread as a distraction from my APA citation checking.

bostongreek 02-06-2009 04:05 PM

My friend from another school told me this one from when she was rushing. She was a in one sorority's room when all of a sudden a PNM near her screams loud enough for everyone to her over the chatter "YOU'RE HER!" and punches the active she was talking to in the face.

Apparently, the PNM's ex had dumped her for the active sister and the PNM had only known the girl by name and had freaked out as soon as she'd introduced herself.

ZTA72 02-06-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostongreek (Post 1776274)
My friend from another school told me this one from when she was rushing. She was a in one sorority's room when all of a sudden a PNM near her screams loud enough for everyone to her over the chatter "YOU'RE HER!" and punches the active she was talking to in the face.

Assault charge, instead of a bid??

agzg 02-06-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel (Post 1776270)
I was told by a Greek Advisor to stop saying CUT and to say RELEASED, so perhaps if one is getting shanked they aren't getting "cut" but "released from life"

That was a pop-snorting, laptop ruining moment. Thank God I keep my computer fairly far away from me!