GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   What to tell overconfident PNMs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=87932)

ASTalumna06 05-23-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie (Post 2410844)
Definitely going to work that into conversation this week. Like!

Have you never heard that expression before? Perhaps it's not as common and well-known as I thought?

tcsparky 05-24-2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2410851)
Have you never heard that expression before? Perhaps it's not as common and well-known as I thought?

I remember using it in the early 90s.

IndianaSigKap 05-24-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2410846)
After all these years of teaching college, I continue to be shocked by all the superstars who are shocked when they get to college and--they're not the only superstars. What on earth do they expect if they're going to a competitive school? There will be zillions of valedictorians, Miss or Mr. Everythings, and state athletics winners!

I tell my seniors that every kid going to college is smart, has activities and volunteer work. What are they going to do to separate themselves from the herd...in a good way, of course.

sissyintexas 05-24-2016 11:26 PM

30 years ago I thought I was a very special snowflake too. Cheer leading captain, salutatorian, etc. I was so in shock when I got to my university and had to really, really try to get good grades.

SO....I give these kids a break.

Titchou 05-25-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Have heard it but in the south you're more likely to hear "greatest thing since sliced bread."

chi-o_cat 05-25-2016 10:12 AM

So for over 20 years, I have thought that “All that and bag of chips” came from the “Men On Film” sketch on In Living Color (Damon Wayans and David Alan Grier). But Googling it now, it appears there is no connection. But I think people did start saying it around that time that show was on, so I must have linked them in my mind.

AZTheta 05-25-2016 11:46 AM

Recently had a PNM tell me "I don't need recs from (and she listed several outstanding NPC sororities) because I'm only interested in (and she listed a few other NPC sororities)."

I've never been able to hide my thoughts behind a neutral facial expression.

She didn't pick up on my horror, but her friends did, and so did her mother (who is not a sorority alumna).

I politely refused to write her a rec, although my chapter was one she deemed worthy. I also informed her that it was unfortunate that she had made up her mind before going through recruitment. I wished her the very best of luck.

Stupid idiot. I have access to rec writers in 22/26 NPC sororities right here where I live. And yes, she is going to a competitive recruitment school. Somehow I don't think this is going to end up quite the way she envisions it ending.

LXA SE285 05-25-2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi-o_cat (Post 2410933)
So for over 20 years, I have thought that “All that and bag of chips” came from the “Men On Film” sketch on In Living Color (Damon Wayans and David Alan Grier). But Googling it now, it appears there is no connection. But I think people did start saying it around that time that show was on, so I must have linked them in my mind.

It was a thing for a while among audience members on the daytime talk shows (Ricki Lake, etc.) in the early '90s. That and "You need to dump that zero and find yourself a hero!" :P

SWTXBelle 05-25-2016 03:00 PM

Just this week I gave a presentation to the mothers of pnms. "Your daughters are undoubtedly beautiful, poised, intelligent, and have a slew of extracurricular activities. Guess what? So are the other hundreds of girls going through recruitment." (I then went on to explain RFM and how they needed to encourage their daughter to have an open mind, support them emotionally as they ride that roller coaster, and ESPECIALLY if they are sorority members to remember that what was right for them might not be right for their daughters. Whew.)

TriDeltaSallie 05-25-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Never heard it before.

Sliced bread I've known and used forever.

ASTalumna06 05-25-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie (Post 2410951)
Never heard it before.

Sliced bread I've known and used forever.

Yea, I've heard the sliced bread line plenty, too. I wonder if it's regional?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXA SE285 (Post 2410936)
It was a thing for a while among audience members on the daytime talk shows (Ricki Lake, etc.) in the early '90s. That and "You need to dump that zero and find yourself a hero!" :P

Haha yesssss! I miss Ricki Lake and all of the ridiculous topics she covered.

Ok, sorry for the random derailment. Back to our regularly scheduled PNM programming! :)

Titchou 05-25-2016 08:08 PM

Which came first - sliced bread or bags of chips?????

aephi alum 05-25-2016 10:42 PM

^ IDK, but both chips and sliced bread are no-nos if you're on the Atkins diet. :p

thetalady 05-25-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2410935)
Stupid idiot. I have access to rec writers in 22/26 NPC sororities right here where I live. And yes, she is going to a competitive recruitment school. Somehow I don't think this is going to end up quite the way she envisions it ending.

OH, AZTheta.... please try to remember to come back & tell us the outcome on this one! Am I a hateful bitch for hoping she gets invites only to those "not quite good enough" chapters?

AZTheta 05-26-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2410966)
OH, AZTheta.... please try to remember to come back & tell us the outcome on this one! Am I a hateful bitch for hoping she gets invites only to those "not quite good enough" chapters?

Sorry, but there won't be any update or followup. I won't be around when she goes through rush (which, by the way, is NOT at Arizona). I wished her good luck, and honestly meant it. As I've said before, I don't ever want to sabotage anyone's recruitment. She may be fine, she may drop out, she may "settle"; who knows?

She's in my rear view mirror now.

*shrug*.