GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Why in the world should a lady be expected to join a house she didn't want to? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=54435)

ISUKappa 08-02-2004 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
Nine times out of ten, these girls ended up being the worst members over time.
Thank you. Often (but not always) those girls who feel they are "too good" for some of the smaller chapters or are upset because they were dropped from THE chapter to be in are not the kind of members those (or really any) chapters want anyway. Most likely, they are the ones who are only in it for the stereotype and will not be meaningful, contributing members. There will always be some of those in every chapter, though.

I really think, barring very unusual circumstances during recruitment, that if a PNM has the characteristics that most chapters look for (grades, true interest, good conversation with the members) and is honest with herself (she isn't swayed by rumours or the glitz of formal recruitment) that she has a very good chance of finding a house of which she will enjoy and be a positive member. But she has to make that decision and she has to make that effort.

Yes, there are always some women who would make wonderful members of any GLO that get lost in the cracks during formal recruitment or for some reason decide that maybe it just isn't for her at that time. I don't think that's any reflection on the recruitment process, that's just the way the world works. That's also why I think it's a wonderful thing that Alumnae Initiation is starting to get more recognition. Now we can get active and contributing members who are seeking us and want to be a part of our organizations. We as GLOs stress that membership is for life and for some, that membership just starts a little later than others.

Measi 08-02-2004 01:51 PM

ISUKappa, I think you're completely correct in that some women just start membership later.

As a freshman in college, while I wanted to be a member of a GLO (and specifically of one of the NPC orgs), I knew that I was a bit too uncomfortable in my own skin and felt too out of place to pursue membership. I was battling the culture shock of coming from Montana to Massachusetts at the time.

As an alumna who really came into her own about two or three years after college, I now realize that even though I had the desire, I have MUCH more to give a chapter now... as an adult... than I did as an undergrad.

I'm happy many organizations are providing alumni initiation these days. Life membership should embrace those who are celebrating and coming into their own during all stages of life. It only can make an organization stronger to have women (or men) of all ages involved.

~ Mel.

HotDamnImAPhiMu 08-02-2004 02:11 PM

Ha. To be honest, Mel, I'm probably a better Phi Mu now than I was when I joined. But then I like to think I'm a better *person* now -- a teensy bit more mature :-) more finanicially responsible, more inclusive, etc.

I'm so glad AI will let groups like mine pick up great women like you. Otherwise.... I think we'd both miss out.

carnation 07-08-2019 09:59 PM

I was re-reading this and thought there were some good discussions in it.

33girl 07-09-2019 09:55 AM

Was this thread pre-RFM? Because if so it may have been what sent NPC hurtling towards it. :D

carnation 07-09-2019 09:58 AM

Not all schools began to use it the same year.

The parts I like discuss what a PNM should do if she's left with choices she wasn't planning on.