GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alpha Phi Omega (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   25/52 CookOut in Atlanta (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=113782)

Ladii 05-21-2010 04:56 AM

25/52 CookOut in Atlanta

Im considering going to the 25/52 cookout in Atlanta, but Im scared. I dont wanna seem disrespectful to the male chapters by wearing my letters, but I feel as if I have a right. I am (whether u like it or not) a brother, but I understand how they feel. I just dont want to start any drama amongst family. So my question is are any female brothers (as well as gamma sigs) going to the cook out this year?

gamma_girl52 05-21-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladii (Post 1932063)
Im considering going to the 25/52 cookout in Atlanta, but Im scared. I dont wanna seem disrespectful to the male chapters by wearing my letters, but I feel as if I have a right. I am (whether u like it or not) a brother, but I understand how they feel. I just dont want to start any drama amongst family. So my question is are any female brothers (as well as gamma sigs) going to the cook out this year?

*sigh* It's that time of the year again...and Ladii that sigh wasn't directed to you, it's just that EVERY SINGLE YEAR this question comes up...
I don't think you have anything to worry about. There will be plenty of female APO members present at Cookout this year, they've been attending for several years now, and they seem to have a a good time.

You're a member just like every other APO member there; you earned your letters and you do have a right to wear them. So, if you want to attend Cookout go ahead and do so. You'll have company. :)

Ladii 05-22-2010 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 (Post 1932564)

You're a member just like every other APO member there; you earned your letters and you do have a right to wear them. So, if you want to attend Cookout go ahead and do so. You'll have company. :)

You are so true, thanks so much!

gamma_girl52 05-22-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladii (Post 1932676)
You are so true, thanks so much!

No problem ism ;)

arvid1978 05-25-2010 03:26 PM

Why go to the cookout when you could go to Serve instead? :-) There's one in Atlanta a week or two before...

http://www.apo.org/show/National_Pro...S/Courses?id=5

naraht 05-25-2010 04:47 PM

Does the idea of merging Serve with the cookout hurt anyone else's mind?

Senusret I 05-25-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 1934524)

It doesn't hurt mine. I think the fraternity needs to be more active in meeting people where they are, rather than doing nothing or brow-beating.

APhiQuetieACE 05-25-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senusret I (Post 1934582)
It doesn't hurt mine. I think the fraternity needs to be more active in meeting people where they are, rather than doing nothing or brow-beating.

CO-SIGN!

gamma_girl52 05-25-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 1934524)

Not at all, considering that there is a service project that's done every year...and it's been that way with the Cookout for over 10 years. :) I'm just saying. I served on the Cookout Committee for 7 years and made sure it was included.

naraht 05-25-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 (Post 1934766)
Not at all, considering that there is a service project that's done every year...and it's been that way with the Cookout for over 10 years. :) I'm just saying. I served on the Cookout Committee for 7 years and made sure it was included.

Not doubting... It's just the level of "classroom" work in SERVE doesn't exactly mesh. There is definitely Service at the Cookout, but I just can't imagine sitting in a classroom for 4 hours as part of it...

Randy

gamma_girl52 05-25-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 1934787)
Not doubting... It's just the level of "classroom" work in SERVE doesn't exactly mesh. There is definitely Service at the Cookout, but I just can't imagine sitting in a classroom for 4 hours as part of it...

Randy

I just saw what I did Randy, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I saw the word "Serve" not thinking is was SERVE like an acronym (right?)-sorry about that one!

naraht 05-26-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 (Post 1934788)
I just saw what I did Randy, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. I saw the word "Serve" not thinking is was SERVE like an acronym (right?)-sorry about that one!

No, it isn't an acronym, but right idea. :)
Launch, Explore, Achieve, Discover, Serve are the five components.
http://www.apo.org/show/National_Pro...ship/APO_LEADS

I think pretty much everything in there would be useful to Gamma Sigma Sigma sisters as well. No *clue* what the APO National office would do if a non-APO brother wanted to sign up. I know in order to do any of the others, a person has to do Launch first...

Randy

emb021 05-27-2010 11:02 AM

FYI-

Serve is part of the APO's Leadership Development program. Its a weekend course, not a 3-4 hour course. AND you must complete Launch before you take Serve.

I don't the National Office would have a problem with GSS members taking Serve, so long as they take Launch. Non-APO members can go thru the courses. I did Launch at Fl-Tech and they had a couple of non-APO students in attendence.

naraht 05-28-2010 08:44 AM

I'd forgotten that Serve took as long as it did. Combining that with the Cookout weekend would reduce the fellowship time considerably.

Adding Launch (and *maybe* one of the middle three in later years) to the Cookout Weekend *might* be possible, but if that were to be done, a decision would probably need to be done months in advance.

On a more thematic note, while Alpha Phi Omega's Cardinal Principles are Leadership, Friendship and Service, Gamma Sigma Sigma's are Friendship, Service and Equality. Doing Leadership doesn't align with it being 25/52, I guess. Is there any sort of Equality seminar(?) that would bring things into balance?

Ladii 06-04-2010 07:49 PM

I was thinking about doing Serve also, but i think my chapter wants 2 do it together or something...ehhh who knows lol