GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Update on my story (advice to PNMs) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246409)

pearlygirl 08-11-2019 04:41 PM

Update on my story (advice to PNMs)

Hi,

I wanted to give an update to my sorority experience as thousands of girls are about to step into the crazy world of recruitment and sorority life!

As I wrote about in my last post, I got my second choice on bid day. I'm not going to lie when telling PNMs it's hard to get your second choice. I struggled a little and because of that did not put myself out there as much as I would want to. The girl from my pi chi group who also went AGD who I hugged on bid day is now one of my very best friends, and I did not have a problem making a small group of friends that I would carpool to the house or to chapter with.

Even though I had those friends, along with an AMAZING big who I love, I still didn't really feel like it was my "home". Going through recruitment, you hear all these girls saying how they found their home at their chapter, and I wanted the same thing. I felt like I couldn't connect to many girls and I didn't really have the same experience that my friends were taking away from it. I know part of that is my fault, since many of them threw themselves into it, but since I was still recovering from the initial shock of not getting my top house, I was not into getting involved.

The year came and went and I felt mediocre about my sorority. I had a good group of friends, but it was never really my home. Over the summer as I was making my future little crafts, I debated going back to the sorority. I wasn't sure if sorority life was for me, or if it was worth the time, money and energy. (especially with polish week coming up!) But, I decided to just stick it out and see what happened.

Polish week (which I am currently still in) is what the members do behind the scenes before recruitment starts. It involves lots of cheering and practice, and requires a very peppy outlook on your sorority! The days are long and start early, so there is lots of sisterhood bonding. I started the week off with fake smiles for our cheers and struggling through the day, but then we started practicing mock rounds.

Let me tell y'all as a fairly introverted person, mock rounds and conversations can be exhausting, but SO FUN. I get to meet a new girl every time we do one! I've met girls I would have never talked to otherwise, and somehow there is always a connection with them, from our future aspirations, to travels, anything! This week has really turned around my opinion on my sorority. I love it there. I feel like I can talk to anybody, and my cheers are sung with REAL smiles instead of fake ones.

My advice is that even if it doesn't go the way you wanted it to, stick it out. Things can really turn around and even if things initially aren't perfect, don't let it get you down. It is so hard to look around and see everyone seemingly looking like they are loving every second and you aren't, but it gets better! I have made so many friends and as long as the polish week days can be, they're still fun because they are with my sisters. If you are a PNM and you ever want to talk about your experience, I'll be happily there for you!

- a happy squirrel

chi-o_cat 08-12-2019 10:21 AM

Thanks for sharing your story! It's a great reminder for PNMs who get discouraged when they don't feel all rainbows and confetti 24/7 when they get their bid.

navane 08-12-2019 08:48 PM

pearly, I am glad to hear that things are looking up for you. I hope that recruitment will be a great experience for you as welcome new sisters into your chapter!

Theta1234 08-12-2019 11:32 PM

Love this!

ASTalumna06 08-12-2019 11:38 PM

Such a great story and lesson to be learned! Thanks for sharing.

And remember: your membership is for life. This year marked 15 years since I was initiated, and I've attended multiple conventions, been involved with two alumnae chapters, and have been a national volunteer for the last five years, serving as the Editor for AST's national magazine. These are just a few ways I've stayed connected to my org and have both contributed to and benefited from it.

Membership in college is amazing, but being a sister as an alumna has shown me what sisterhood truly is. It's where all of the "tiers" and competition and drama melts away and where the saying "It's not just four years, but for life" finally gains meaning.

BlueBayou 08-14-2019 09:47 AM

What a great update.

And I think it is important to point out, that even if you get your first choice, it can still take time to fully integrate into a chapter. Activities like sisterhoods and polish week can really help build bonds.

UVASquirrel 08-27-2019 09:06 PM

Awww...so glad you are truly starting to love it!!

GratefulGramma 08-27-2019 09:49 PM

My granddaughter leaves tomorrow for Boston, for Grad School. She has already been in contact with the Zeta Alumni group there; she was packing and she is taking some Zeta shirts.