GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

33girl 02-05-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusteau (Post 1893210)
I'm so glad you bumped this - I've been waiting all week for Rush to end so I can tell this story!

This week we had a guy come through Rush who introduced himself to every brother with a different name. I don't know why he came out, it was like he was trying not to get a bid. If that was his plan, he succeeded.

Free food?

Jill1228 02-05-2010 03:56 PM

Last fall during formal recruitment, we had a girl go through. She EMPHATICALLY said, (I'm editing this because she was NOT familar with the correct terms): "I am going to join an NPHC sorority".

Ummm excuse me, but why the f*ck are you going through PANHELLENIC recruitment? :confused:

Needless to say, after the second round, both orgs dropped her ass like a bad habit!

LucyKKG 02-05-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusteau (Post 1893210)
I'm so glad you bumped this - I've been waiting all week for Rush to end so I can tell this story!

This week we had a guy come through Rush who introduced himself to every brother with a different name. I don't know why he came out, it was like he was trying not to get a bid. If that was his plan, he succeeded.

How bizarre! I agree, with 33. Probably wanted free food. Or maybe he was just plain crazy!

Gusteau 02-05-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1893261)
Free food?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucyKKG (Post 1893304)
How bizarre! I agree, with 33. Probably wanted free food. Or maybe he was just plain crazy!

Most likely.

It was hilarious when something like this transpired at voting:

-"Next is John Doe"

-"Who's that?"

-"Oh, the one with brown hair and glasses [not his real description]"

-"I thought that was Frank?"

-"No, that's Evan."

-"He told me his name was Albert!"

AOEforme 02-05-2010 04:39 PM

:D How long did it take you to figure out he was nuts! That's hilarious!

I don't have any really interesting stories from informal recruitment (at least compared to that). My one semi-interesting one:

I was contacting women on the Panhellenic's COB list. Women e-mail the Greek Life Office if they are interested in spring recruitment events (because Spring Recruitment is really small here). Greek Life gets the contact information and distributes it to sororities who ask for it.

Anyhow, when I called her, her first question was "How did you get my number?". Ummmm.... you gave it to the Greek Life Office to give to me.

Second question, "Why the Greek Life Office? I'm American."

WHAT?

My response was, "No, not that kind of Greek. This deals with Sororities and Fraternities".

Hers: "Oh. I don't want to be in one of those."

WHY would you give your contact info to the Greek Life Office then???

Barbie's_Rush 02-07-2010 12:18 PM

This one happened with the "top of the top tier" sorority at an extremely competitive school which shall remain nameless.

Everyone loved this PNM from the first day. She had everything the chapter looks for plus more and easily made it through to pref, with several sisters wanting to have the honor of preffing her.

At the pref party she was an entirely different person. Sullen, non-communicative, just acting like she didn't want to be there at all. The sister who preffed her thought she might be sick or something so she asked her if she was ok. The PNM snapped back that she was just tired from recruitment all week and knew she didn't have to put out much of an effort that night because she was a legacy and she knew ABC's legacy policy requires that legacies who make it to pref be extended a bid.

True, this is ABC's legacy policy. But her aunt should also have made sure how ABC defines legacy because niece isn't one of those definitions. Sullen Snottypants had made it to prefs based on her own merits, not on her legacy status. I'm sure you can guess who didn't receive a bid to ABC.

ASUADPi 02-07-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusteau (Post 1893308)
Most likely.

It was hilarious when something like this transpired at voting:

-"Next is John Doe"

-"Who's that?"

-"Oh, the one with brown hair and glasses [not his real description]"

-"I thought that was Frank?"

-"No, that's Evan."

-"He told me his name was Albert!"

LMAO!

KD4Me 02-07-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush (Post 1894151)
This one happened with the "top of the top tier" sorority at an extremely competitive school which shall remain nameless.

Everyone loved this PNM from the first day. She had everything the chapter looks for plus more and easily made it through to pref, with several sisters wanting to have the honor of preffing her.

At the pref party she was an entirely different person. Sullen, non-communicative, just acting like she didn't want to be there at all. The sister who preffed her thought she might be sick or something so she asked her if she was ok. The PNM snapped back that she was just tired from recruitment all week and knew she didn't have to put out much of an effort that night because she was a legacy and she knew ABC's legacy policy requires that legacies who make it to pref be extended a bid.

True, this is ABC's legacy policy. But her aunt should also have made sure how ABC defines legacy because niece isn't one of those definitions. Sullen Snottypants had made it to prefs based on her own merits, not on her legacy status. I'm sure you can guess who didn't receive a bid to
ABC.

Ouch. She would have been a fun sister!

AXID2006 02-07-2010 04:24 PM

During a COB, I was talking to a Soph. and she was not looking at me at all during the conversation. Yes I understand its kinda scary going through recruitment so I asked her if she was ok. She replied "I'm so high right now"

Yea... she didn't get a bid.

another good one was when I was a rho gamma. One of the girls in my group had on a strawberry necklace and crown earrings. She told me "I'm only going Zeta" and I told her to checkout all the houses and she what they also have to offer. She didn't seem pleased with that answer.

Oh well, she didn't get a bid to any of the 4 sororities on campus. I think she kinda scared the Zetas by knowing so much or to much.

lovespink88 02-07-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush (Post 1894151)
True, this is ABC's legacy policy. But her aunt should also have made sure how ABC defines legacy because niece isn't one of those definitions. Sullen Snottypants had made it to prefs based on her own merits, not on her legacy status. I'm sure you can guess who didn't receive a bid to ABC.

www.sadtrombone.com

pearlsnviolets 02-07-2010 04:58 PM

I am new to greekchat but this thread was hilarious and the posts about the Transgenders/girls wanting to be in fraternities/boys wanting to be in sororities reminded me of something that happened at my school.

I just went through recruitment this semester, so i think this sorta belongs here but also not really. We have delayed recruitment but last semester a guy posted a youtube video wanting to become a member of one of the sororities, and why he should be one. There has never been anything said about whether he was serious or joking.

GammaPhi88 02-07-2010 11:15 PM

Unfortunately, no gems from this year. But one I forgot to mention from last year...

It was second round and either some of the seating got slightly messed up or there weren't enough chairs. Either way, I had to kneel in front of my PNM. She was, um, kind of weird. She kept asking me about percentage rates of people who get bids (granted I know that I was worried about the same thing going through, but geeeeeez I would NOT ask a sister this at a house), and told me in detail about how she got an extra toe removed. She went deeply into the surgical process...any most people who know me know that surgery details make me nauseous. At one point (keep in mind that she's on a chair and I'm kneeling) she leans over and FARTS IN MY FACE! Who does that??? I didn't really know what to say, since you can't exactly tell a PNM "ewwwww wtf you farted in my face", so I pretended it never happened. I wanted to throw up but I held myself together....I was never so happy to be bumped.

Of course, after the farter, I was hoping that I would get to talk to some awesome girl. Not so much. The next girl kept asking me why I wasn't in a different sorority on campus since I apparently "looked XYZ". Um, thanks?

CougarGrad 02-08-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 (Post 1894323)
At one point (keep in mind that she's on a chair and I'm kneeling) she leans over and FARTS IN MY FACE!

And I'm done. Not sure what could top that. Holy moly!

mittens 02-08-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, no gems from this year. But one I forgot to mention from last year...

It was second round and either some of the seating got slightly messed up or there weren't enough chairs. Either way, I had to kneel in front of my PNM. She was, um, kind of weird. She kept asking me about percentage rates of people who get bids (granted I know that I was worried about the same thing going through, but geeeeeez I would NOT ask a sister this at a house), and told me in detail about how she got an extra toe removed. She went deeply into the surgical process...any most people who know me know that surgery details make me nauseous. At one point (keep in mind that she's on a chair and I'm kneeling) she leans over and FARTS IN MY FACE! Who does that??? I didn't really know what to say, since you can't exactly tell a PNM "ewwwww wtf you farted in my face", so I pretended it never happened. I wanted to throw up but I held myself together....I was never so happy to be bumped.

Of course, after the farter, I was hoping that I would get to talk to some awesome girl. Not so much. The next girl kept asking me why I wasn't in a different sorority on campus since I apparently "looked XYZ". Um, thanks?

I'm pretty sure she didn't but I hope she didnt get a bid.

ASUADPi 02-08-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

At one point (keep in mind that she's on a chair and I'm kneeling) she leans over and FARTS IN MY FACE!

Yeah it would have taken everything in me not to 1) say something and 2) not walk away. That is just uncalled for.

I know our girls have like a hand symbol (like 1-2 fingers) that they can put behind their back and the "roamers" can realize that the sister "needs help". I would have done that and been like "I'm leaving now". And I would be so insisting that we drop her at the end of the night.