GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

lilzetakitten 01-29-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1590419)

Sorority Info Night is a week or so before recruitment. All the sororities have tables set up, and PNMs can walk around and talk to the members or ask questions. They also get to meet their PXs and get a recruitment book/orientation schedule. For girls who haven't signed up yet, they can meet sorority women and decide if this is something they want to do.

During my last recruitment (2006), there was a girl who came to Sorority Info Night with her BOYFRIEND. He wasn't just there hanging around waiting on her. He was walking around to tables with her holding her hand! We thought it was a tad odd that she'd bring her bf to a such a girly event.

She came over to our table and we were chatting her up. She was a 2nd year freshman and she had transfered to KSU to be with him, and she said he came along because he wanted to make sure "the sororities weren't full of crazy drunk girls" before he would be okay with her joining one.

She asked some other questions too like, "If I live in the house, can he stay overnight, because we're used to being together alot?" or "Do I have to go to events with other guys at them, because I have a boyfriend."

This was incredibly awkward. Imagine talking to a PNM whose bf is attached to her hip. She'd ask a question, then interrupt the person answering her because he'd say something. Or HE WOULD ask questions like "Now if she joins a sorority, how much time is that going to take up in her schedule?" or "Can she have a boyfriend and be in a sorority?" Why are YOU asking questions for her??

I actually heard her ask a Panhellenic Exec member "Now if I sign up to do this, can he come to the parties with me?" Obviously the Exec girl said no.
This must not have been the right answer because Boyfriend Girl ended up not signing up.

She visited a few chapters that spring for COB and guess who she brought to the events? Yep, the boyfriend. She ended up not being invited to further events with any of them.

One of my grandlittles is in her major, and says that she is still with him and they're engaged.

I think I could understand if he was just walking around with her at the info event, since she was new at school and probably didn't know a lot of people yet. Sometimes just having someone next to you is a confidence boost. After that though... yeah, the story starts to get weird. Really weird.

violetpretty 01-29-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

She visited a few chapters that spring for COB and guess who she brought to the events? Yep, the boyfriend. She ended up not being invited to further events with any of them.

Was the boyfriend "checked at the door" or did he awkwardly come in with Boyfriend Girl to the parties and talk to actives with her?

You always have the craziest stories, KSUViolet!

KSUViolet06 01-29-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Phi Mu (Post 1590564)
Just curious if this has happened anywhere else. This fall, we just gotten finished with our skit and I was walking around and I notice this one pnm was sitting alone. I thought maybe her girl hadn't made it back to her yet, so I started talking to her. She was really sweet and kept on talking about how much she loved us and wanted to come back for pref. Well, after the party I went to find out if anyone else knew who she was and it turned out, we had cut her the night before! Apparently she snuck in during the party hoping we would give her another chance! Luckily she didn't show up the next night.

In any of my recruitment experiences, this never happened. There are PX's standing outside at all times, so it's impossible for someone to sneak into a party.

KSUViolet06 01-29-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 1590602)
Was the boyfriend "checked at the door" or did he awkwardly come in with Boyfriend Girl to the parties and talk to actives with her?

The women in the chapters she visited said that he actually CAME IN to the events. One event was a movie and she insisted that he watch with them, and they said it would be better if he didn't. So she had to take him home and come back. But she was visibly upset and apparently texted him throughout the whole thing!

Another event was an open house at a different sorority, and he accompanied her there also. He ended up having to wait outside and she was talking to him on the phone for half of it and left early.

MaggieXi 01-29-2008 06:28 PM

I forgot this one...its embarrassing but cute...

So one of the sisters is rushing a PNM and they were talking about their favorite tv shows. The sister says something to the effect that she really likes Sex In The City...the PNM, says "OMG I love SEX!" loud enough for several other sisters to hear. The PNM turned bright red and was like "I mean Sex In the City...I really like Sex In the City...the tv show...." The sister was totally comforting and told her she knew what she ment and not to be embarrassed. We ended up inviting the PNM to the next round and she happily came back!

LucyKKG 01-29-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieXi (Post 1590615)
I forgot this one...its embarrassing but cute...

So one of the sisters is rushing a PNM and they were talking about their favorite tv shows. The sister says something to the effect that she really likes Sex In The City...the PNM, says "OMG I love SEX!" loud enough for several other sisters to hear. The PNM turned bright red and was like "I mean Sex In the City...I really like Sex In the City...the tv show...." The sister was totally comforting and told her she knew what she ment and not to be embarrassed. We ended up inviting the PNM to the next round and she happily came back!

Hahaha that's totally something I would say! I have a tendency to trip over my words sometimes...

aephi alum 01-29-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

During my last recruitment (2006), there was a girl who came to Sorority Info Night with her BOYFRIEND.
<snip>

Wow. That would not have been allowed at my school.

We did have a PNM come through COB one year - she was a freshman, and she was engaged (almost unheard of at my school). She attended our COB events without her fiance. We offered her a bid - and then she told us that, before she could accept, we had to convince her fiance to let her pledge! :rolleyes: Fast forward a few months - she realized it really was her decision, not his, pledged, was initiated - and she and her fiance broke up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Phi Mu (Post 1590564)
<snip> ... we had cut her the night before! Apparently she snuck in during the party hoping we would give her another chance! Luckily she didn't show up the next night.

That wouldn't have happened at my school either. All our events were held in rooms in the student center. There was a desk outside each room, and each PNM had to sign in, which meant checking her name off on a list and taking a name tag that had been already prepared for her. (PNMs got standard-issue name tags from Panhel for day one, but after that, sororities made their own name tags for the PNMs.) One or two alums minded the desk to make sure everyone signed in and no one entered after the party started. If a PNM had managed to sneak in, she would have been picked out right away because she wouldn't have a name tag.

Zeta13Girl 01-29-2008 07:18 PM

We had a PNM come through formal rush my sophomore year that was quite interesting and different. The PNM happened to be a legacy to our sorority. I didn't see her the first round (philanthropy), but I did see her the second round and knew she seemed familiar but couldn't place where I had seen her face before. I don't know about you, but when I know someone is familiar I can't place them so I kept racking my brain trying to remember where I had seen this girl from. She had been very quiet during rush and really hadn't said much. Finally after the second round when I got back to my room and I saw the school newspaper and remembered where I had seen her. She had an article in the newspaper because she was a 16/17 year old who was going to IUP for graduate school. After attending and graduating from Penn State. After the third round I informed my sisters of this because she had not mentioned it to anyone accept to some PNMs at the Info meeting(our sisters that were PX's had heard about her but didn't know what she looked like). Our Chapter invited her back to Preference Round even though we had to contact nationals after the 3rd round because we weren't sure what to do because our sorority doesn't allow graduate students to pledge. The active sisters were also concerned about her not being 18 for at least another year as well.

Well drop down to bid day. We weren't able to extend her a bid, since she was in graduate school and there were only two NPC sororities on campus that allowed graduate students to join their sororities. Unfortunately, some of the sisters and I were looking to see if she had gotten a bid from someone else but she didn't. I honestly don't think she was disappointed though, because I think she had just gone through recruitment for her mom. Her mom had been in Zeta Tau Alpha and she wanted her daughter to experience it.

AlphaFrog 01-29-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeta13Girl (Post 1590635)
Well drop down to bid day. We weren't able to extend her a bid, since she was in graduate school and there were only two NPC sororities on campus that allowed graduate students to join their sororities. Unfortunately, some of the sisters and I were looking to see if she had gotten a bid from someone else but she didn't. I honestly don't think she was disappointed though, because I think she had just gone through recruitment for her mom. Her mom had been in Zeta Tau Alpha and she wanted her daughter to experience it.

Finally a (semi)appropriate time to say this: There's always AI. If her mom really wanted her to be a Zeta, and the sisters liked her, I don't see a reason why she couldn't be OFFERED AI, assuming she meets all of Zeta's other AI requirements and there was someone willing to sponsor her. Of course by now, this is just an afterthough.

nittanyalum 01-29-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1590673)
There's always AI.

:eek:

Who are you and what have you done with AlphaFrog??!???!??

;)

I actually feel sorry for that poor girl. She's probably felt out of place socially most of her life since she's so ahead of others her age in school and now her Mom pressures her to go through rush even though she's not only younger than all the other rushees but also not even eligible to be bid by the sorority she's legacied to. Nice, Mom. I doubt she'd even be interested in pursuing AI were she offered it.

navane 01-29-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

During my last recruitment (2006), there was a girl who came to Sorority Info Night with her BOYFRIEND.

For those of you who read this story and were, understandably, confused or shocked...I'm sorry to say that this kind of behavior is more common than you'd think.

As an Academic Adviser, I'm tellin' ya, I've had lots and lots of people bring in entire entourages into the academic advising appointment. I still don't get why someone would want to bring her boyfriend when she comes in to talk to me about academic probation or why a roommate needs to hang out right there while I go over a degree plan. I've had well-meaning boyfriends, girlfriends, friends and family members interrupt me in the middle of my advising to ask questions or argue with me on behalf of the student.

When bringing them in, I've tried suggesting to students that maybe their friend should wait in the lobby since there aren't enough chairs and I've had the guests volunteer to stand through the whole appointment or even sit on the floor. :confused:

I don't care for the extra visitors. They can wait in the lobby. For real.

Given my experience with this kind of thing, I don't think the relationship from KSU's story is borderline "abusive"...it's just that this girl and her boyfriend are way too into each other's business. You know...BFF with her boyfriend.

LOL..if a PNM had brought her boyfriend, I'd do what I do now, just ignore him and speak only directly to her. If he asked me a question about dues, I'd turn to her and answer as if she was the one who had asked the question.

.....Kelly :)

Zeta13Girl 01-29-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1590673)
Finally a (semi)appropriate time to say this: There's always AI. If her mom really wanted her to be a Zeta, and the sisters liked her, I don't see a reason why she couldn't be OFFERED AI, assuming she meets all of Zeta's other AI requirements and there was someone willing to sponsor her. Of course by now, this is just an afterthough.

I don't think we have Alumnae Initiation because I've never heard of this, but of course I'mnot an expert on Alumnae stuff. Although, I do know we have "special initiates".

KSUViolet06 01-30-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navane (Post 1590718)

LOL..if a PNM had brought her boyfriend, I'd do what I do now, just ignore him and speak only directly to her. If he asked me a question about dues, I'd turn to her and answer as if she was the one who had asked the question.

Oh we tried, but he just kept jumping in, there was no ingnoring him! I'm glad she decided not to go through, because I could've seen her being a total waste of space in any sorority and going through the NM period and dropping out before initiation because she doesn't get to spend enough time with her boyfriend.

navane 01-30-2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1590812)
Oh we tried, but he just kept jumping in, there was no ingnoring him! I'm glad she decided not to go through, because I could've seen her being a total waste of space in any sorority and going through the NM period and dropping out before initiation because she doesn't get to spend enough time with her boyfriend.

What? You mean he wouldn't be invited to chapter?

SoCalGirl 01-30-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeta13Girl (Post 1590788)
I don't think we have Alumnae Initiation because I've never heard of this, but of course I'mnot an expert on Alumnae stuff. Although, I do know we have "special initiates".

:smirk: :D