GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

NutBrnHair 10-10-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1336576)
She DID. But Crying Girl still wouldn't, not the House Mom.

Ahhhh...I misunderstood. (Darn those dangling modifiers!) ;)

SigKapSweetie 10-11-2006 02:39 PM

My little told me this story - it happened this year, but it was the day before I got there to help out, so I missed it!

Round 3 is the video round at UF. When one of my sisters picked up her PNM at the door, she noticed that the girl smelled like alcohol. She staggered around during the tour, clearly intoxicated, but it wasn't too bad until it was time for the video. My sister seated the girl and went to stand along the wall with the other sisters. Halfway through the video, my sister realizes the PNM is taking off her bra! :eek: She pulled both shoulder straps off, but she apparently couldn't get the back unhooked. Thankfully she was sitting toward the back of the room, so not many of the other PNMs saw what she was doing. The sister couldn't get her out of the house fast enough! Needless to say, she was not asked back for Preference. I don't know where she ended up, but I'm guessing she didn't get into any of the chapters she visited that day.

AChiOhSnap 10-11-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutBrnHair (Post 1336574)
I would suggest someone from the UNIVERSITY intervening -- from Student Life or Panhellenic. Crying Girl is a troubled student and it's not the sorority's job to help her.

Or the counseling/crisis intervention center. Or campus security.

I'm not kidding. Her behavior seems disorganized and potentially volatile...I hope it doesn't escalate into following individual members!

UGAalum94 10-11-2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap (Post 1337241)
Or the counseling/crisis intervention center. Or campus security.

I'm not kidding. Her behavior seems disorganized and potentially volatile...I hope it doesn't escalate into following individual members!

Even if she isn't going to end up harming anyone else, she clearly needs help.

It's surprising to me that no one from the University intervened in the first place. I think at my old school, that if a sorority called Greek Life on bid day and said, "hey there's a rejected rushee crying on the sidewalk outside of our house" someone would have shown up and taken her away. Initially, I think it would have been the Greek Life advisor, but if crying girl refused to go with her and stood outside begging to be let in, I think they would have called the cops or a mental health professional right then. They sure wouldn't have taken the position of "just let her cry and beg while you close the blinds and pretend she's not out there."

It's not the sorority's problem, but if this girl is a student, her behavior should be addressed by someone. And as compassionate people, the members of the sorority should ask for help for her. They don't have to be afraid for their own safetly to do it.

BadSquirrelBeta 10-20-2006 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1342719)
Update on Crying Girl...

Oh no this is such a terrible situation. But her behavior is getting progressive, like now coming to the door of the house. You can't help but feel sorry for the girl, but also the NMs and Members too shouldn't have to be waiting for an ambush every day from this girl. :confused:

AChiOhSnap 10-20-2006 01:18 AM

That's really sad, let's hope she gets the help she needs.

PeppyGPhiB 10-20-2006 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadSquirrelBeta (Post 1342724)
Oh no this is such a terrible situation. But her behavior is getting progressive, like now coming to the door of the house.

No kidding. I think I would have been a little scared of opening the door.

AlphaFrog 10-20-2006 07:17 AM

It's sounding like the begining of a Lifetime movie...

One where someone doesn't get what they want, so they kill people....

AlexMack 10-20-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1342719)
Update on Crying Girl:

Well, like a week or so ago, she showed up outside of XY's new member meeting, and starts BAWLING in the parking lot as new members are walking into the house. Several of them were quite creeped out, so they went in and told the House Mom. She finally called the police-not to have Crying Girl arrested or anything, but just so someone could see what was wrong with her and get her off of the property.

The police came and took her to the local hospital for a psychological evaluation. But days later, she was BACK again. This time it was late at night and there were some girls who were home alone (their house mom was gone for a few days). They thought she was going to come up to the door and knock, but she went up onto the porch and stood there right in front of the door. One girl poked her head out of the door and asked "Can I help you?" and she just stood there crying. So they called the cops again to come and get her.

She hasn't been seen at XY since they took her away the last time (like Monday of this week). There's a girl in XY who lives in another building of Crying Girl's apartment complex. She says she's talked to neighbors about her, and they say she behaves perfectly normal when they see her around.

This is a really weird and sad situation and I really hope something can be done to help this girl so she can stop doing this.

As an EMT, we section 12 those kinds of people. That means being committed against your will by a doctor. We get to take them to the local nuthouses. Most of the time they act really normal and then they'll get to the psych ward and just start losing it. I guess I'm just grateful that they don't act that way in the ambulance.

BadSquirrelBeta 10-20-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centaur532 (Post 1342895)
As an EMT, we section 12 those kinds of people. That means being committed against your will by a doctor. We get to take them to the local nuthouses. Most of the time they act really normal and then they'll get to the psych ward and just start losing it. I guess I'm just grateful that they don't act that way in the ambulance.

Yes, and inv. committments vary from state to state. Some states have laws which don't favor the patient as much as others. Unfortunately, my state where I reside now it is like pulling teeth to get Mental Health Professionals to respond to a situation, let along get someone to a facility. (I am soooo glad I am taking a break from being a social worker for this very reason).

On the flipside tho...sometimes they will do this for attention until the MHPs
get there and then they become these perfect wonderful "sane" people because they know it is yet another situation they can control.

No matter what for this situation it is just pretty sad...I wonder what made her have such an attachment to this particular group.

AngieWashU 10-20-2006 01:39 PM

On a lighter note...

During formal recruitment this fall, one of the members of the chapter I advise had the following conversation:
DG: What activities were you involved in during high school?
PNM: Oh, I liked doing community service, especially environmental stuff... do you know if there's an AA meeting near here?
DG: Um... no, I don't.

Let's just say that PNM is not a new member of DG.

33girl 10-20-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngieWashU (Post 1343069)
During formal recruitment this fall, one of the members of the chapter I advise had the following conversation:
DG: What activities were you involved in during high school?
PNM: Oh, I liked doing community service, especially environmental stuff... do you know if there's an AA meeting near here?
DG: Um... no, I don't.

Let's just say that PNM is not a new member of DG.

Are you sure she didn't mean Agricultural Awareness? hee hee.

smiley21 10-20-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1343072)
Are you sure she didn't mean Agricultural Awareness? hee hee.

If so, she should have known to word it better than "AA meeting". lol

AlexMack 10-20-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiley21 (Post 1343104)
If so, she should have known to word it better than "AA meeting". lol

Look, just because she's into Anteaters and Aardvarks, there is no reason to exclude a PNM! She could add diversity to the chapter. Hell she already knows two ways to name the same animal!

tunatartare 10-20-2006 02:22 PM

I thought she was asking about where she could attend an Alopecia Awareness seminar.