GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hell Week? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=19328)

Tink16 06-14-2002 04:07 PM

Hell Week?

I don't understand why sometimes I-Week is sometimes refered to "Hell Week." Isn't that a little scary?:eek:

DeltAlum 06-14-2002 04:13 PM

In the past it was meant to be scary. Glad those days are past for the most part.

DeltaSigStan 06-14-2002 04:22 PM

Well, we have "Happy/Fun Week"

Tink16 06-14-2002 04:28 PM

Ironic

Really? Its kinda ironic then that my exboyfriend who is a Delta Sig refered to it as "Hell Week." :D

Kevin 06-14-2002 04:57 PM

Other houses on our campus do have hell weeks. We have a "Hell no week". We essentially get couches out and hang out in the front yard with the candidate class... Play capture the flag, football, etc... It's actually pretty fun :D

thetakates 06-14-2002 05:13 PM

Our I-week is just that, I-week. We get together every night and do something special with the new members. It is a very exciting week for the girls and gets them really excited to go through initiation.

:)

Kevlar281 06-14-2002 05:36 PM

We call it I-Week as well and it consists of nothing more then…

lifesaver 06-14-2002 06:13 PM

We call ours Pre-Rit. Obviously short for Pre-Ritual.

nycgirl 06-14-2002 08:10 PM

what are some fun activities you have done during I week? in the past ours has been relatively uneventful and i'd love to get some ideas.

KappaTarzan 06-15-2002 12:06 PM

we don't have hell week, we have "retreat" where we all go away together :)

MoonStar17 06-15-2002 01:01 PM

Here there isn't a Hell week per say with fraternitys...there is a "rumor" that one particular organization does kinda the same kinda things involved in a hell week just less stressing or scary and they call it "Health Week" whatever...

im not sure about the other sororitys..but we have I week "Inspiration Week" and each Day has a letter and a purpose and each day has an event and some fun stuff too :)
P-Purpose (talk about the purpose of our org, usually fun games)
H-History
I-Inspiration (fun games and storys from other sisters to inspire the new sisters

M-Motivation (motivation, words of wisdom etc)
U-Unity (this is the night b4 innitation and we do a BigSis/LilSis bonding retreat...
and the whole week spells Phi Mu! :) also on each day they are given a quote..and they are told to internalize it and explain a lil to everyone what it means to them and how it relates to Phi Mu..

its alot of fun and the girls really like it...its a very special time and the whole chapter seems to feel it... one of my favorite times

Thats how we do I week here...

Glitter650 06-15-2002 02:18 PM

Our Initiation week is called Red Rose Week... :) Some frats on campus still call it hell week
We do something everynight... it depends on the new member chair exactly what but usually the first night is like a bon fire at the ocean that is a tradition in our chapter... we usually do our serenade that week as well as big sis appreciation and a study night.. sometimes our presents dance falls during that week... so it works out nicely. The only two events that stay pretty constant are the study night and serenade... the other activities depend on the ideas of the New Member chair. It is a very cool week though because since we don't have a house we don't see everyone everday, but during this week we do and it strengthens bonds :D I Know I know.. sappy, but true

AZDZetaSigma03 06-15-2002 07:32 PM

At least three of the four frats at my school have hell weeks. It's pretty obvious when it's going on because the ATO and Sig Chi pledges all have to march around in suits in single file, and the house windows are all papered over. DTD is scarier because every semester there is a pledge with a broken arm. I don't even want to know what they do. Boy am I glad that I-week for us is so happy!

UNFSigmaChi 06-15-2002 08:04 PM

Sigma Chi doesn't have hell week. We have an I-week which means it is for I(you). Its a week long with events each night to make you think about how you have lived your life, your qualities and even your areas you lack in. Its a really good week that allows you to discover yourself by thinking about things. Everyone learns a lot about themselves indiviudally, as a pledge class and before becoming a NIB.
The whole broken arm thing is a joke. They pick out a pledge and make him wear a cast for the next couple of weeks either during their I-week or after initation. I think it was originally intended to show people their initiation is hard and not for weak people...now its just a stupid tradition. A fraternity here at UNF does it every year except the NIB wears a cast on his right thumb...i don't even think there is a legitimate reason.

OnePlus69Is70 06-15-2002 10:57 PM

The week before initiation is Prank Week for us. The pledges organize a prank, although usually the brothers help in the execution. Our last class put up a sign to rip on the chancellor.....silly alcholic, booze is for undergrads.

I know our IFC advisor refers to I-Week as 'oops, where did our pledge class go?'-week. We've had houses lose their whole classes over the stupid crap they do. The stories I've heard are as bad as anything you hear in the news.

-------------------------
Omega Delta
UMass Amherst