GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Would race matter (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=90815)

takemewitu 10-08-2007 04:35 AM

Would race matter

I am transferring to a new school next semester because I'm coming from a community college and they do not have Greek life. My problem is beside being a junior, is that I'm Asian. The school that I'm transferring to is made up of at least 80% Caucasians. Also when i visit each of the sororities website, I notice that the girls that join are all Caucasian. Would being a different race be a disadvantaged to me when i rush? Would the girls feel that since I look different i would not fit in?

KyleMcGuire1983 10-08-2007 05:10 AM

I sure would hope not.

Unregistered- 10-08-2007 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takemewitu (Post 1534751)
I am transferring to a new school next semester because I'm coming from a community college and they do not have Greek life. My problem is beside being a junior, is that I'm Asian. The school that I'm transferring to is made up of at least 80% Caucasians. Also when i visit each of the sororities website, I notice that the girls that join are all Caucasian. Would being a different race be a disadvantaged to me when i rush? Would the girls feel that since I look different i would not fit in?

YOU CONSIDER BEING ASIAN A PROBLEM? :eek: :rolleyes: I must have not received that memo when I (also an Asian) joined my predominantly Caucasian sorority years ago.

Instead of paying attention to numbers and percentages and stuff you see on websites, just go through recruitment and get to know the members and see for yourself. Just because the pictures you see all have Caucasian girls does not mean they look down on Asians.

Depending on which campus you'll be transferring to and how competitive recruitment is, being a junior may or may not affect your chances of getting a bid. Make sure your grades meet the sororities' standards and make sure you're prepared for recruitment. There are lots of recruitment advice threads here that you might find useful. Don't waste your time worrying about the petty stuff.

carnation 10-08-2007 06:29 AM

Three of my daughters, who are Asian, have pledged "historically white" sororities in the past 5 years. In addition, they have all won awards (such as Homecoming Court) that the student bodies of their schools or their sororities had to vote on.

DSTCHAOS 10-08-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTW (Post 1534753)
YOU CONSIDER BEING ASIAN A PROBLEM? :eek: :rolleyes: I must have not received that memo when I (also an Asian) joined my predominantly Caucasian sorority years ago.

LOL.

Asian Americans stopped being an ostracized and excluded racial and ethnic minority group years ago. When studies of employment, residential, and educational exclusion are conducted, Asians are typically not one of the groups with the disparities. Asians are now considered the "model minority" and the stereotypes of Asians are deemed mostly positive stereotypes (many people think being stereotyped as smart is a positive stereotype with no negative effects--I disagree). So unless this young lady is entrenched in traditional Asian culture and language to create a culture clash, she will most likely assimilate into whatever the scene of that Caucasian sorority is.

DSTRen13 10-08-2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1534794)
LOL.

Asian Americans stopped being an ostracized and excluded racial and ethnic minority group years ago. When studies of employment, residential, and educational exclusion are conducted, Asians are typically not one of the groups with the disparities. Asians are now considered the "model minority" and the stereotypes of Asians are deemed mostly positive stereotypes (many people think being stereotyped as smart is a positive stereotype with no negative effects--I disagree). So unless this young lady is entrenched in traditional Asian culture and language to create a culture clash, she will most likely assimilate into whatever the scene of that Caucasian sorority is.

It still does depend on the area - almost anywhere you go, it's not an issue. (And why on earth you would transfer to one of those rare places that it is, I don't know ... )

starang21 10-08-2007 10:05 AM

just don't let people in the fact that you can do triple integrals and differential equations in your head, and you'll be just fine.

and don't skip on tree tops, either.

that would bode negatively for you.

starang21 10-08-2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takemewitu (Post 1534751)
My problem is that I'm Asian.

i'm sooooooo not sure how to take this.

mulattogyrl 10-08-2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starang21 (Post 1534801)
and don't skip on tree tops, either.

LMAO!

DSTCHAOS 10-08-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTRen13 (Post 1534800)
It still does depend on the area - almost anywhere you go, it's not an issue. (And why on earth you would transfer to one of those rare places that it is, I don't know ... )

Exactly. And it probably won't be an issue where she goes.

DSTCHAOS 10-08-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starang21 (Post 1534802)
i'm sooooooo not sure how to take this.

Being Asian is a problem. Deal with it.

You know some Asians have been getting that eye surgery to remove the slanting and doing other things to appear more "white." They deserve public ridicule.

starang21 10-08-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1534806)
Being Asian is a problem. Deal with it.

You know some Asians have been getting that eye surgery to remove the slanting and doing other things to appear more "white." They deserve public ridicule.

i know i've done it. i even had peroxide treatment to lighten my skin. apparently my beautiful olive tone wasn't good enough to snag the white girls, so i had to go with more extreme measures.

DSTCHAOS 10-08-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starang21 (Post 1534811)
i know i've done it. i even had peroxide treatment to lighten my skin. apparently my beautiful olive tone wasn't good enough to snag the white girls, so i had to go with more extreme measures.

Well you know you don't look like the "type of Asian" that a lot of people think of when they think "Asian."

So if you had said your olive skin was because you were Spanish or Italian, you would be set for life. Your other features could be overlooked I guess.

Filipino snack.

Benzgirl 10-08-2007 10:26 AM

We had Asian girls in our house over 25 years ago, and we never thought twice about it back then.

smiley21 10-08-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starang21 (Post 1534811)
i know i've done it. i even had peroxide treatment to lighten my skin.

If being Asian is a problem, then that must be the only solution.:rolleyes:

Anyway, all girls who join NPC sororities are not white.