GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Mormon (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=50640)

sairose 05-08-2004 08:03 PM

Mormon

Anyone on here LDS, or former LDS? If so please PM me.

aurora_borealis 05-08-2004 08:06 PM

Most practicing people prefer the term LDS, for Latter Day Saints.

sairose 05-08-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aurora_borealis
Most practicing people prefer the term LDS, for Latter Day Saints.
Oops...edited to fix that. :)

Ginger 05-08-2004 08:17 PM

I know RxyCheerleader and I are for sure, not sure if there's anyone else.

I'll send you a PM!

Munchkin03 05-08-2004 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ginger
I know RxyCheerleader and I are for sure, not sure if there's anyone else.
So, your conversion period is over?

Ginger 05-10-2004 10:38 AM

Not yet, but by choice. I want to wait until after my wedding for my baptism and some final things I need to do, because I feel like I just can't give it as much dedication as it needs right now.

So I'm taking things very, very slow :)

IheartAphi 05-10-2004 12:32 PM

Can you get married in a mormon church without being mormon?

My cousin dated a LDS for a while and we were under the impression that the custom only allowed LDS persons in the church.

I am from the south and do not know anything about LDS. As you can tell, I do not have a clue about LDS beliefs.

Rio_Kohitsuji 05-10-2004 12:50 PM

My boyfriend and his family are former Mormon, that's 'bout all I know.

Ginger 05-10-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IheartAphi
Can you get married in a mormon church without being mormon?

No. At least that's what I've been taught so far, there may be exceptions.

Quote:

My cousin dated a LDS for a while and we were under the impression that the custom only allowed LDS persons in the church.
That's only partially true. Non-members are totally welcome at regular Sunday services at meetinghouses/wards. What you are not allowed to go to are services/ceremonies/what have you in the Temples. Not even all mormons are allowed to those - you need to get a special blessing that's good for a year to attend the temple. It's not hard to get or anything, but it still must be done.

Quote:

I am from the south and do not know anything about LDS. As you can tell, I do not have a clue about LDS beliefs.
If you or anyone else has more questions I'd be glad to try to answer them :) I may not have all the answers yet as I'm still learning, but I'd be glad to do the best I can :) Hopefully Rxy will stop by, too.... and Beta Rose knows quite a bit as well!

Edit: stupid HTML!

Lady Pi Phi 05-10-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BetaRose
Church = regular Sunday meetinghouse. Non-LDS guests are welcomed and encouraged.
Temple = Special facility only for LDS members who have secured a temple recommend. Most adult LDS members are able to get this, unless they have committed a greivious sin.

You can get married in the church if you aren't LDS, but it is pretty uncommon since temple marriage is so strongly emphasized. The emphasis is beause a wedding in a church is only "till death do us part", while a temple wedding is "for time and all eternity." Church weddings generally only happens when one of the parties is not LDS and is not going to convert, or if one of the parties is unable to secure a temple recommend. In my entire membership, I only knew of 1 wedding held in the church instead of the temple.

Out of curiosity, what is considered a greivious sin?

Ginger 05-10-2004 04:10 PM

Ooh, now that's one I don't have an answer to, beyond an educated guess.

Beta? :)

aurora_borealis 05-10-2004 05:04 PM

Sairose-
I remember reading this book in English class, and you may enjoy it. The author is Terry Tempest Williams, and the title is "Refuge". She is a naturalist in Utah and the book is about all these women she knows being diagnosed and dying from cancer. There is a parallel with the Great Salt Lake being affected. Though it isn't a main theme, she talks about her LDS faith, and it gave me a new perspective. It is also a really well written book.

I am sure you'll get a giggle out of this Ginger...I went to Women's Relief Society with my friend one Sunday, at the single young adults Ward. The topic was "Where is Zion and what does it mean to you". Let's just say I was very confused as *my* idea of Zion had nothing to do with Utah, or LDS, but with National Parks and Judaism. I was teased briefly, and they let it go until...Munch and Mingle. I called it "coffee hour". ISUKappa and sageofages likely understand the post worship coffee hour phenomena I speak of.

I also left my bible at home at the National Gathering last winter, but my genius sister pointed out that there would be at least the New Testament in the drawer and I could use that. However at the Marriott The Book of Mormon is also is the drawer. You can guess which one I grabbed before I had coffee and went to worship...luckily no one else noticed.

ZTAMich 05-10-2004 05:13 PM

The new Temple here in NYC is open to the public for a while and I cannot WAIT for my tour on Friday evening :) I have some distant family members who are LDS and it's gonna be neat to go there.

pixell 05-11-2004 09:16 AM

Ohh...jealous. I'd love to see a temple while it's open to the public. From the pictures I've seen, they are very beautiful!

One of my best friends is a LDS. I remember when I told him I was going greek he was opposed to it on religious grounds. Is this a common belief?

mshoole 05-11-2004 09:30 AM

Okay so I can I re-ask what is a grevious sin. My aunt and her daughter are LDS, and they arent speaking with my side of the family, so I would love to know what it is.