GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Birmingham Southern College Bid list! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=80680)

PenguinTrax 09-14-2006 09:39 AM

I find it interesting that they only do 3 rounds: Icebreaker, Skit, Preference. I wonder what their new member retention rate is with such an abbreviated schedule?

Angels&Arrows 09-14-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinTrax (Post 1320432)
I find it interesting that they only do 3 rounds: Icebreaker, Skit, Preference. I wonder what their new member retention rate is with such an abbreviated schedule?

Ole Miss only has three rounds: Philanthropy, Skit, Preference. Philanthropy (nine houses over two days); Skit (six houses); Preference (three houses). I have always found that amazing! Nine houses, three days, 850+ PNMs, and ~85% placement!!! I would estimate that retention is ~90%+/- for most chapters. (I do realize that Greek Life at Ole Miss is ALOT different then anywhere else... However, BSU is a southern school).

Sock Puppet2 09-14-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap (Post 1320355)
I'm with you. I freak out about personal info on the internet.....hence the username change, lol :)

Um, your name is in your signature. Snap.

AnchorAlumna 09-14-2006 12:04 PM

Birmingham-Southern is a small, private Methodist college; I think somewhere around 3,500 students. Smaller schools often have fewer rounds because of a smaller number of students going through. Plus, the majority of students tend to be from the Birmingham area and many of the already know each other.
But wow, Ole Miss has more than 1,000 going through and only 3 rounds?? Of course, rush begins well into the semester, plus sponsorship is a HUGE thing there...

AnchorAlumna 09-14-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 1320420)
birmingham southern posts the name and hometown of all incoming freshman before school starts.

Where is this found??

greekalum 09-14-2006 12:54 PM

Do students have a right to opt out of that? I guess that would be considered directory information, but post-Buckley Amendment that seems like the type of thing universities would shy away form.

OleMissGlitter 09-14-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angels&Arrows (Post 1320520)
Ole Miss only has three rounds: Philanthropy, Skit, Preference. Philanthropy (nine houses over two days); Skit (six houses); Preference (three houses). I have always found that amazing! Nine houses, three days, 850+ PNMs, and ~85% placement!!! I would estimate that retention is ~90%+/- for most chapters. (I do realize that Greek Life at Ole Miss is ALOT different then anywhere else... However, BSU is a southern school).

Actually, this year at Ole Miss there are 855 going through...registration has closed for this year. They also have added a new round to rush that is on Sept. 24. This round is called "Open House/Ice Water." At this round only ice water is allowed, no decorations, no songs, no nothing...and the PNMs will just get a tour of the house and then go onto the next house...all the other rounds like Angels&Arrows mentioned will remain the same. This new round was something added over the summer instead of the Greek BBQ before Recruitment in the Grove. At the BBQ they use to have there was so much dirty rushing going on that this way Gamma Chi's (Recruitment Counselors) will be able to monitor it better at organized "Open House/Ice Water" parties.

However, back to the point, I think BSU is similar in some ways and different than other big Southern schools.

PeppyGPhiB 09-14-2006 01:12 PM

I think it's creepy, too. Maybe because things like which girls join which sororities isn't a topic that would get covered in the newspapers here out on the West coast. At least I can't imagine it would, and I've never seen anything like it. The most similar I've seen is when some newspapers here in Seattle print each year the top 10 graduates of area high schools, and where they're going to college.

PenguinTrax 09-14-2006 02:12 PM

University of NE-Lincoln used to publish the recruitment results in the Lincoln and Omaha newspapers. Don't know if they do that anymore. Used to aggravate us at the UN-Omaha campus because the World-Herald would never do the same for the GLOs on our campus.

tunatartare 09-14-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB (Post 1320591)
I think it's creepy, too. Maybe because things like which girls join which sororities isn't a topic that would get covered in the newspapers here out on the West coast. At least I can't imagine it would, and I've never seen anything like it. The most similar I've seen is when some newspapers here in Seattle print each year the top 10 graduates of area high schools, and where they're going to college.

I feel that it's one thing when hometown newspapers publish recruitment results because those have a fairly small circulation and the girls being written about are aware of it. When bid lists get published on the school's website and reposted on GC, most, if not all, of those girls are not aware of that and that's what I think is creepy about it.

jessXIca 09-14-2006 03:33 PM

Personally I don't think it's "creepy", I just don't see what the point is of posting a bunch of girls' names that none of us know.

tunatartare 09-14-2006 03:37 PM

That too. If you know that 13 girls pledged your sorority at State U, and are personally not going to meet most of them, does it really matter what their names are?

aopinthesky 09-14-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLPDaisy (Post 1320714)
That too. If you know that 13 girls pledged your sorority at State U, and are personally not going to meet most of them, does it really matter what their names are?

So you have said, a number of times. Some people don't like the practice and some do. The names have been removed from THIS site (unless you want to click the link), so what is the ongoing issue?

carnation 09-14-2006 05:24 PM

Look, folks. Almost every sorority website I've ever seen lists the members and often their class standing and/or hometown. On one of my daughters' sorority websites, the girls' email addresses are listed. When the oldest was an active, each girl had a hyperlink to an individual photo of her if she wanted. How is that different from posting the new members? Most of the sororities will post their new members on their own sites anyway as soon as they can get to it.

I am sure that all the girls who rushed at BSC and are listed signed a paper to waive privacy rights regarding that issue. And it's too bad if you think it's creepy but most NMs I know around here want the world to know what they pledged. We alums who recommended them want to know too.

This did not come from some private listing; just like the Auburn and Alabama bid lists that were published on this forum a month ago, it's straight from the Panhellenic website. I am sure their hearts will be broken if they hear that some person who has nothing to do with NPC sororities or BSC was offended.