GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fraternity Thesis Survey (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=244815)

reyn1995 09-07-2018 07:04 AM

Fraternity Thesis Survey

Hey guys,

I’m currently doing my thesis on fraternities and I only need about 20 more people to do it.

It only takes literally 3-4 mins so I’d be really appreciative if a few of you could do it.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MS6NSDN

Thanks a mill!

Let me know what you think in the comments too.

33girl 09-07-2018 09:33 AM

This kind of thing isn’t really going to work unless you use a random sample, which this site is not. But I took the survey and voted against all your theories so thanks for playing :)

jolene 09-07-2018 10:32 AM

What's a "fraternity campus"? Do you mean house? This is a "I hate fraternities" survey.

carnation 09-07-2018 10:40 AM

I have written and read a lot of research and that had to be the most biased survey I've ever seen.

unarose 09-07-2018 10:56 AM

I’ll be honest, if I were one of your professors and I saw how leading those questions were toward a certain end result, I’d throw the whole thing out and make you pick another topic for your thesis, because clearly you have certain feelings toward the subject already and won’t be able to overcome them to present a balanced picture of reality.

Xidelt 09-07-2018 11:16 AM

I clicked on the link, saw how leading and biased the questions were, and closed out the site.

chi-o_cat 09-07-2018 12:05 PM

The title itself and the first couple of questions were bad enough, but then I got to "There is too much drink involved in fraternity houses" and realized this was pretty pointless.

DGTess 09-07-2018 12:45 PM

Hole. Lee. Chit.

In addition to the bias, the "estimate" questions with limited choices? The "these things" with no antecedent reference? The sophomoric writing style?

This is NOT graduate research. You might fool yourself; you might submit it for some fly-by-night online "pay your money, submit your essay, get your diploma" school, but it is not graduate research.

navane 09-07-2018 01:42 PM

I recall that you said in your other post that you are from Ireland - welcome to Greekchat! I'm not sure what you are doing this research for - is it for school, college or uni? Respectfully, this cannot possibly be for a postgraduate thesis. I'm assuming this is for a school or sixth form assignment. Unfortunately, you have not identified yourself nor have you told us the name of your educational institution, which would be standard for a legitimate study.

As others have pointed out, your research methods are not sound - the questions are not appropriately structured and your participant sample is not random. Clearly the survey questions were not received well and have caused a little bit of offense.

We do not mind at all sharing our American culture with others. We occasionally receive inquiries from students (mostly from the UK) who ask about our sorority and fraternity system. Several of us have studied at university in the UK and Ireland (I attended the University of Bristol!) and understand some of the curiosities about our culture.

If you gave us more information about who you are and what you are trying to do, perhaps we could help you approach this assignment from a better angle.

Tom Earp 09-07-2018 02:39 PM

I must say that I agree with navane.

Welcome, but we have found surveys about Greek Social Organizations can and will become slanted.

By slanted I mean, yes, there is booze, sexual abuse, drugs, and all kinds of so called violations of life styles. It is a micro state of life?

If one looks at the true percentages of normal life, it is really small in percentages! But being Greeks, we are under the Microscope of life and the world!:mad:

So, I guess we have to be better and above board more so than we have to be!:(

NinjaPoodle 09-07-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xidelt (Post 2460198)
I clicked on the link, saw how leading and biased the questions were, and closed out the site.

Ditto

phoenix16 09-07-2018 06:33 PM

As someone with an educational background in research, I cannot support your methods. I would suggest overhauling the format and seeking out advice from your faculty advisor or whoever serves in that capacity for this project.

Once you have a non-biased survey, I still would not suggest using this site, as we are a Greek forum and would be pro-Greek in our answers. You need to use a truly random sampling method to have accurate results.