GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Cool Sites (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Humans Of New York (HONY) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=245791)

ASTalumna06 01-27-2019 07:06 PM

Humans Of New York (HONY)
 
Does anyone else follow this page?

This post popped up today, and I couldn't help feel for this young woman. She certainly had at least a few people around her who were slightly ignorant, but she was also able to self-reflect and realize that perhaps she didn't put herself out there as much as she could have with her sorority sisters.

Of course no one knows what the full story is, but sometimes, that's the appeal of reading HONY.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...02099916530784

AZTheta 01-28-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2464301)
Does anyone else follow this page?

This post popped up today, and I couldn't help feel for this young woman. She certainly had at least a few people around her who were slightly ignorant, but she was also able to self-reflect and realize that perhaps she didn't put herself out there as much as she could have with her sorority sisters.

Of course no one knows what the full story is, but sometimes, that's the appeal of reading HONY.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...02099916530784

No I don't follow the page.

I think you meant RACIST. Did you read at least some of the comments? White privilege much? Seriously. As a white person, it's blatant to my very blue eyes. Let's turn the tables and then talk about whether it's "slightly ignorant". You go be the one white woman in a room full of non-whites and see if "slightly ignorant" is the correct term.

"Aunt Jemima"? And we wring our hands over blackface? PLEASE.

Times like these I miss DrPhil. Polarizing as she could be, she always shone a light into the dark ugly corners.

Now before you go getting all pissy with me, remember that you asked. No one else is responding. I wonder why. Maybe ... oh, nevermind.

andthen 01-28-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2464312)
.

I think you meant RACIST. Did you read at least some of the comments? White privilege much? Seriously. As a white person, it's blatant to my very blue eyes. Let's turn the tables and then talk about whether it's "slightly ignorant". You go be the one white woman in a room full of non-whites and see if "slightly ignorant" is the correct term.

"Aunt Jemima"? And we wring our hands over blackface? PLEASE.

Times like these I miss DrPhil. Polarizing as she could be, she always shone a light into the dark ugly corners.


I agree with you 1000% AZTheta, I feel for this woman more in the respect that she's making excuses for this straight-up racist behavior. Granted this is only a brief snippet of the whole story but on the face of it this is just absolutely horrible behavior on the part of others.

I'm of mixed background white/Hispanic. I would often get the brunt of inappropriate jokes that disparaging towards Latinos and I'd basically tell those people to f-off. I have zero tolerance for that sort of disrespect, and the fact that no one backed her up is what's even more sad.

ASTalumna06 01-28-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2464312)
No I don't follow the page.

I think you meant RACIST. Did you read at least some of the comments? White privilege much? Seriously. As a white person, it's blatant to my very blue eyes. Let's turn the tables and then talk about whether it's "slightly ignorant". You go be the one white woman in a room full of non-whites and see if "slightly ignorant" is the correct term.

"Aunt Jemima"? And we wring our hands over blackface? PLEASE.

Times like these I miss DrPhil. Polarizing as she could be, she always shone a light into the dark ugly corners.

Now before you go getting all pissy with me, remember that you asked. No one else is responding. I wonder why. Maybe ... oh, nevermind.

Wow, OK. Racist. Either way, the comment was completely innapropriate and hurtful, and clearly some of her sisters didn't treat her well.

And no, I didn't read the comments. Not sure what that has to do with anything? And where did I say that blackface is OK, and what does that have to do with this woman's story?

33girl 01-28-2019 07:47 PM

The point of having it on Greek Chat was that people were focusing on the “obviously this would happen because sororities suck and should be eliminated” angle. The fact is this could have happened had she lived in an all white dorm, or been on an all white sports team, or any other friend group. The people who think it only happened because she was in a sorority are idiotic.

AZTheta 01-29-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2464315)
Wow, OK. Racist. Either way, the comment was completely innapropriate and hurtful, and clearly some of her sisters didn't treat her well.

And no, I didn't read the comments. Not sure what that has to do with anything? And where did I say that blackface is OK, and what does that have to do with this woman's story?

Oh dear. RACIST is not mutually exclusive to inappropriate and hurtful. Come on. Don't rationalize. The core issue here is racism.

I was seguing into other topics (re: other "blackface" posts/threads references), will try to keep it simple in future. That should help. You took my remarks personally, you didn't connect the dots. That's my bad.

If you take a few minutes to skim the comments section in online posts, I believe you'll find it very eye-opening and educational.

33 I am not going down that road you're walking. Not at all.

Have a nice day, folks.

33girl 01-29-2019 07:04 PM

I’m not sure what “road I’m walking.” I was referring to some of the comments that put the complete fault on the fact that the girl was in a sorority, as if the people who called her Aunt Jemima would do a 180 if they terminated their membership, or as if racism exists in Greek organizations only.

Without knowing where the girl goes to school, it’s hard to know if this is the norm in the Greek system or not.

Bostonmvr 01-31-2019 12:49 PM

All too prevalent.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/higher...f9fe9562c.html


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.