GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lawsuit: Sorority Membership a "Human Rights" Issue? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132865)

LaneSig 03-06-2013 01:33 PM

Lawsuit: Sorority Membership a "Human Rights" Issue?

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...into-sorority/

Two aspirants of Alpha Kappa Alpha have sued the sorority. They are alledging that since they have not been initiated, their human rights are being violated.

"How is any of this a violation of human rights law? The aspiring sisters say they're being discriminated against because, as legacies, their mothers were also in the sorority. In other words, they're being treated differently because of their "familial status"—a protected class under the D.C. Human Rights Act. In addition to monetary damages, the would-be Alpha Kappa Alphas want the court to grant an injunction putting the pledging process on hold."

AOII Angel 03-06-2013 01:49 PM

Really!?

WCsweet<3 03-06-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

When they applied again, they say they were told that they couldn't be accepted because of a cap on new sisters. Much of the lawsuit hinges on this, but the gist is that Cofield and Compton say that, as legacies, they should be among the first to be inducted, and the sorority says there's nothing they can do to get around the cap.
Thought that was an interesting part of the article.
So It's not that they won't be inducted ever, it's that there are other women being inducted first? Also love that there were hazing allegations, but those aren't a focus. :rolleyes:

Kevin 03-06-2013 02:05 PM

This just highlights how easy it is to file a lawsuit. You can file one literally for anything you want.

Whether your requested relief is granted is a whole 'nother ball game. Assuming the Defendants timely file an Answer, expect it to go nowhere.

NinjaPoodle 03-06-2013 02:22 PM

Yeah, of the other NPHC discussions I'm witnessing, these are comments that stick out:

1.I'm sick of these frivolous lawsuits. Even if they manage to sue their way in, what kind of experience will they have as members of the sorority? I'm sure these two are great young women who are deserving of the letters, even outside of the fact that they are legacies. However, I hope this lawsuit does not turn out favorably for them. Can you imagine what it would mean for the rest of us if some court decided that sorority membership is a right? Oh well, I'm sure this will be settled.

2. I thought I was reading the Onion for a second....that's crazy!

3. Human rights violation? they cannot be serious in equating sorority membership status with a human rights violation. overpriviledged and entitlement mentality .... no clue about real human rights issues...

4. Human rights violation? The very utterance insults Black culture as a whole. How does one go from human rights violations being, shot with hoses to attend a better school, to a Ms. HBCU not getting to dress tacky with the other girls.

5. Oh COME ON! Classic 90s baby "I win because I'm me" mentality.

What's funny: that a lawyer took this case.

AOII Angel 03-06-2013 03:50 PM

I wonder what their AKA family members think. I'd be sooo embarrassed.

ComradesTrue 03-06-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2206793)

Unless their AKA familiy members are anything like some of our NPC members and became furious that their special snowflakes weren't chosen.

knight_shadow 03-06-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle (Post 2206772)
Yeah, of the other NPHC discussions I'm witnessing, these are comments that stick out:

1.I'm sick of these frivolous lawsuits. Even if they manage to sue their way in, what kind of experience will they have as members of the sorority? I'm sure these two are great young women who are deserving of the letters, even outside of the fact that they are legacies. However, I hope this lawsuit does not turn out favorably for them. Can you imagine what it would mean for the rest of us if some court decided that sorority membership is a right? Oh well, I'm sure this will be settled.

My thoughts exactly. Methinks a few exams and/or applications may get "lost in the mail"

Quote:

What's funny: that a lawyer took this case.
He was one of those TV Lawyers, IIRC. Along the lines of "The Texas Hammer" (for my Texas folks)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2206793)

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that their mothers were assisting with this.

----------

Entitled asses.

Gamma Xi Phi 03-06-2013 05:56 PM

Both mothers are co-plaintiffs; at least one is an alumna of the chapter.

Additional article

Commentary from a retired GCer

MysticCat 03-06-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 2206768)
This just highlights how easy it is to file a lawsuit. You can file one literally for anything you want.

Whether your requested relief is granted is a whole 'nother ball game. Assuming the Defendants timely file an Answer, expect it to go nowhere.

This.

NinjaPoodle 03-06-2013 07:21 PM

FWIW we're only hearing one side of the story.

IrishLake 03-06-2013 08:39 PM

Sen is SUCH a good lookin guy!

NinjaPoodle 03-06-2013 08:41 PM

Another comment from a chat group:
Quote:

at this point it's not about membership...it's about hurting the org. They don't care about being a AKA. They trying to hurt and embarrass the org and get some cash in doing so. Even if they aren't successful, lawsuits are expensive to fight and having one filed against you hurts your character.

NinjaPoodle 03-06-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishLake (Post 2206847)

Off topic^^ but I concur!!

Gamma Xi Phi 03-06-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishLake (Post 2206847)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle (Post 2206849)
Off topic^^ but I concur!!

He says thanks and hopes that you follow him on facebook and twitter.