GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   A Very COLORFUL Ole Miss Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=143724)

anonreb 09-09-2014 11:49 PM

A Very COLORFUL Ole Miss Recruitment

So I’ve been lurking among these threads for a LONG time now and it’s finally time to start my story!

It’s almost here, the mother of all recruitments will start in a few days. This Sunday I will be going into the belly of the beast and will be taking on the biggest wonder on the modern world, Ole Miss Sorority Recruitment. What I have learned since being here is that some girls have been waiting for this week all their lives. It’s hard not to feel average or less than when you’re surrounded by triple legacies, beauty queens, and super geniuses. It really became real to me how competitive this will be after meeting some of these girls! On top of that there are 1567 women going through recruitment this year! With that being said, I am so ready to find a place to call home here.

I decided to make this a colorful story and use only the best Crayola colors as my code names.

The sororities at Ole Miss are as followed:

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Omicron Pi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Pi Beta Phi

And my code names are (in no particular order):

Razzmatazz
Jazzberry Jam
Purple Mountain Majesty
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Mauvelous
Purple Pizzazz
Tickle Me Pink
Mountain Mellow
Laser Lemon
Macaroni and Cheese

So Sunday we visit all 10 houses for a full day of parties. As a side note, I got at least one recommendation per chapter and have multiples for most. I have no connections within the houses so just be warned I may not be writing the picture perfect recruitment story.

Wynter 09-10-2014 04:31 AM

Can't wait!!

SWTXBelle 09-10-2014 06:20 AM

I would strongly recommend writing your posts - and then saving them as drafts until after recruitment is over and you have a bid in hand. More than one recruitment has been tanked because of something posted in a recruitment story.

Better safe than sorry.

OldOleMiss 09-10-2014 07:49 AM

YAY! an Ole Miss story!!! I have to echo what SWTXBelle has said though… please write out your drafts and save them until after recruitment is done. Ole Miss rush is not something to "play around with"-- BUT PLEASE! remember to come back and post!!!:-)

Best of luck to you! Just keep the great attitude you have right now and an open mind!!! HOTTY TODDY!

FSUZeta 09-10-2014 08:13 AM

I will third the suggestion that you wait to post after rush is over, but I have to say I am EXCITED to hear about your experience at that time. Best wishes for a happy recruitment!!

AZTheta 09-10-2014 08:31 AM

Dogpile. Post when you've finished with rush. And good luck, have fun!

anonreb 09-10-2014 08:39 AM

I will definitely follow yalls suggestion on that! Just so we are clear on this, what I have said already will not hamper my recruitment correct?

AZTheta 09-10-2014 08:48 AM

I think you're good! I saw nothing harmful. Just an excited PNM.

OleMissGlitter 09-10-2014 09:36 AM

Yeah! Best of luck! Remember to have fun! HOTTY TODDY!

FSUZeta 09-10-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2290784)
I think you're good! I saw nothing harmful. Just an excited PNM.

Ditto. Have fun and come back and tell us all about it when you are all done. (And i love your crayon code!)

Stellastar1 09-10-2014 10:17 AM

Hotty Toddy! This will be a great example to others of what a PNM with no connections faces at Ole Miss! Truly an experience! I agree, please don't post until after you have received a bid! Good Luck and have a great time! Can't wait to hear!

OldOleMiss 09-10-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonreb (Post 2290783)
I will definitely follow yalls suggestion on that! Just so we are clear on this, what I have said already will not hamper my recruitment correct?

anonreb you should be fine!!! Remember deep breaths and relax! Have a fabulous week!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2290792)
Ditto. Have fun and come back and tell us all about it when you are all done. (And i love your crayon code!)

Seriously?! I feel so stupid and out of touch--- I kept reading her code thinking I have no clue what these colors are... they sound more like food!!! ha ha ha ha..... guess everyone can tell I'm not too into arts and crafts!

That being said I'll be pulling for Macaroni and Cheese--- YUM!

33girl 09-10-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldOleMiss (Post 2290800)
Seriously?! I feel so stupid and out of touch--- I kept reading her code thinking I have no clue what these colors are... they sound more like food!!! ha ha ha ha..... guess everyone can tell I'm not too into arts and crafts!

That being said I'll be pulling for Macaroni and Cheese--- YUM!

There's no more Orange Yellow, Blue Violet and Burnt Sienna - Crayola has gotten all fancy schmancy conceptual on us. :)

NorthernMom 09-10-2014 01:15 PM

My daughter had considered Ole Miss - and while this was obviously not the deciding factor in her college selection - she felt that being a sophomore transfer who is not from the south at all would have been a tough hurdle at Ole Miss.

Best of luck to all going through recruitment!! Beautiful campus and beautiful houses!

ladybug12 09-10-2014 01:52 PM

anonreb,
Keep that great attitude! It will make your recruitment experience a whole lot more fun!
Best wishes!

Bluebell4 09-10-2014 02:44 PM

Can't wait to hear your story. Keep an open mind, have fun and makes lots of new friends!

Low D Flat 09-10-2014 03:55 PM

I thought the colors were going to be nail polish shades. :)

ZTA1550 09-10-2014 07:30 PM

Best wishes to you, anonreb!

anonreb 09-16-2014 04:47 PM

Just wanted to give an update without going into too much detail, recruitment has been very good but I did experience heavy cuts the first round so I am very nervous going forward. I hope I have a good story to share with you all!

Hearttoheart 09-16-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonreb (Post 2292264)
Just wanted to give an update without going into too much detail, recruitment has been very good but I did experience heavy cuts the first round so I am very nervous going forward. I hope I have a good story to share with you all!

Hang in there and have fun with it. All it takes is one house! Remember, there are no bad houses at ole miss! Good luck!

amIblue? 09-16-2014 05:32 PM

Chin up, and good luck!

Alpha O 09-16-2014 05:34 PM

Well you only need one anyway! No matter what happens, don't let the nerves get to you and best of luck with the rest of the week!

ladybug12 09-21-2014 10:33 AM

Fingers crossed for anonreb today!

thetalady 09-21-2014 11:25 PM

I am hoping that anonrebel is too busy with her new sisters to post her story! Come back tomorrow & let us know :-)

anonreb 09-22-2014 06:09 PM

I wont be putting these in the order than I went just to maintain my anonymity.
So Sunday we visited all 10 houses and my impressions are as followed:

Razzmatazz- I LOVED them. I didn’t think I would as much but it ended up being so amazing. I had good conversations with the girls and they flowed so naturally.

Jazzberry Jam- At first I as unimpressed, the girl rushing me was very nice but it didn’t flow, there were definitely a few points where I could feel the conversation coming to an awkward end BUT THEN I got bumped to the most amazing girl and we had the best and least generic conversation of the day. She definitely made this house stand out in my mind.

Purple Mountains Majesty- I really enjoyed myself in this house. It wasn’t my best conversation but it also flowed fairly well. Fingers crossed I get invited back because I can really see myself loving this house it just all didn’t click today

Fuzzy Wuzzy- I wanted to love this house so bad. At first I was paired with a very nice girl but our conversation just wasn’t very good. I was then bumped to another girl and I definitely had a better conversation with her but there was still a level of uncomfortableness (is that a word??) that didn’t set well with me.

Mauvelous- UGH like seriously just UGH. I didn’t think going through there would be a group that I just didn’t want to return to but mauvelous did it for me. I felt like the girl rushing me was uninterested with what I had to say and that completely tore down my confidence. I really didn’t like how I felt in this house and I feel so bad about casting a negative judgement about a house so early on but it just wasn’t a good experience

Purple Pizzazz- I LOVED this sorority. SPOILER ALERT: they were my favorite of the day. The girl I talked to was so great and we had a conversation about a topic that I am extremely passionate about so it definitely felt so good to be able to talk about something I love and let my personality shine through that. I cant praise this sorority enough.

Tickle Me Pink- At best my conversation was subpar. I really wanted t love this chapter and wanted to get invited back for anther chance to see what they're all about

Mountain Mellow- The girls I met in this house were very down to earth and real. The conversations I had were fairly good and I walked away feeling good about this house.

Laser Lemon- Another one of my favorites of the day! The girl I talk to in this house was so fun and funny and I felt like my personality meshed well with the girls I met in this house
Macaroni and Cheese- The conversation flowed here but it wasn’t noteworthy. I enjoyed this chapter though and hoped to return

Such a long and tiring day, after waiting in line to rank for nearly two hours I ended putting Mauvelous and Fuzzy Wuzzy in my bottom and ranked the remaining eight in my top.

MaryPoppins 09-22-2014 06:17 PM

More please?

ChioLu 09-22-2014 06:35 PM

Mauvelous was not Marvelous.
Irony.

FSUZeta 09-22-2014 06:45 PM

Yay and agree with MP....more please

OldOleMiss 09-22-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2293280)
Mauvelous was not Marvelous.
Irony.

and Fuzzy Wuzzy didn't leave her with the "warm fuzzies"

Can't wait to hear more anonreb!

Sciencewoman 09-22-2014 08:38 PM

Yay...can't wait to hear the rest!

anonreb 09-22-2014 10:16 PM

After a long day of classes it was finally time to return and see who invited us back. I was so excited because I felt as if I rocked the day before. When I finally open my schedule it read
Jazzberry Jam
Purple Mountains Majesty
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Laser Lemon

…WHAT!!! I was crushed, rejection stung. I gave my all in every house I went to and that wasn’t enough. Every girl around me had 7-8 invitations back and I had 4, I felt as if there as no way I wasn’t going to be cut next round. I wanted to give these houses my all but in the back of my head I felt as if my all would yet again not be good enough and I would be released from recruitment with that being said my impressions of the parties went as followed:

Jazzberry Jam-I LIKE this house, not yet love but definitely not discounting the possibility that I might grow to love them. Their songs and philanthropy video were really good and I enjoyed the conversations I had with the actives

Purple Mountains Majesty- Okay so I LOVED this house today. Their philanthropy was something I would love to be involved in and their video with their songs was AMAZING. I already have that “this feels like home feeling” but am still wary to get my hopes up

Fuzzy Wuzzy- I still wanted to like this house and I tried so hard to but it just didn’t click with me. The girl talking to me wasn’t really talking to me and it was hard to bring up something to keep the conversation flowing because there were hardly any tangents in the conversation to bridge off of. I still want to like this house but so far I haven’t felt that way

Laser Lemon- Still loving this house. My conversations were good and once again I felt like I jelled with the girls in this house well. Their philanthropy was pretty interesting and the songs they did were so so so good!! Another house I could see myself joining

ladybug12 09-22-2014 10:52 PM

Hang in there! And keep updating!
You still have some good connections.

pinksequins 09-23-2014 08:29 AM

Though we anticipate a happy ending to a post-recruitment story, it's fun to see how you got to your home! Also, I had some coffee and figured out your user name. For some reason, instead of reading "anonymous", I read it as "non-Reb" LOL. I imagined you attending Ole Miss but rooting for LSU! I'm looking forward to the next segment of your adventure.

OldOleMiss 09-23-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinksequins (Post 2293352)
Though we anticipate a happy ending to a post-recruitment story, it's fun to see how you got to your home! Also, I had some coffee and figured out your user name. For some reason, instead of reading "anonymous", I read it as "non-Reb" LOL. I imagined you attending Ole Miss but rooting for LSU! I'm looking forward to the next segment of your adventure.

OMG I swear I am not a "stupid person" but darn if this thread is not making me feel like one!!! :D:D:D first the crayon colors and now the user name! I was actually thinking she was probably a "northern" OOS…. hence a-non-reb by birth…..

LOVING your story and can't wait to see where you end up!

FSUZeta 09-23-2014 11:02 AM

I thought anon was for anonymous

Bluebell4 09-23-2014 11:40 AM

Looking forward to the next installment anonreb.

anonreb 09-23-2014 11:47 AM

I apologize I have been in class all day but will be heading to my dorm shortly to post an update!

anonreb 09-23-2014 02:03 PM

After a night of no sleep and a full day of wondering who had cut me I finally got to see my invite list again. I got back:

Jazzberry Jam
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Laser Lemon

Well darn, Purple Mountain Majesty had cut me but I anticipated it because I just simply didn't have the connections other girls had. Plus I still had Laser Lemon who was my absolute favorite.

Jazzberry Jam- Still not feeling any strong emotions with this house. Their skit was funny and the girl I talked to was extremely nice but I didn't feel that connect I wanted to feel.

Fuzzy Wuzzy- Third time's the charm? Ehh slightly. The girl I had today was so nice and really gave me an idea of what their sisterhood was like. Still not completely sold on this chapter but the girl rushing me gave me more hope in liking this chapter.

Laser Lemon- YES YES YES YES!!!!!! I so badly want to call this chapter home. Every girl I've talked to has been so cool and I feel like I've been on the same wavelength in a sense with every sister I talk to. I felt like here I could see that intangible "thing" that makes a sisterhood special. I could see myself being friends with all these girls. Their skit was hilarious and everything about this chapter was perfection. Can I sign my bid card yet?

I ranked Jazzberry Jam and Laser Lemon as the houses I wanted to Pref and placed Fuzzy Wuzzy as number 2. on the rankings list

gogoaphi 09-23-2014 06:28 PM

Good luck to you!

thetalady 09-23-2014 07:07 PM

I can't wait to hear the end :-)