GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumnae Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   AI:Requires a college degree? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=163544)

naraht 09-08-2015 11:19 AM

AI:Requires a college degree?

I believe that at least one of the NPHC fraternities requires that someone actually have Bachelors degree in order to become a brother through a graduate chapter.

Does this also apply to any/all of the NPC AI?

Sciencewoman 09-08-2015 02:31 PM

Not us.

AOII Angel 09-08-2015 03:51 PM

Not for AOII. Usually 2 years of college required, but it has been waived b

3StringedLyre 09-08-2015 09:35 PM

Not Alpha Chi. A lot of AIs are mothers of actives. Not all moms had the chance to go to college.

lstorey 08-26-2017 11:31 PM

Alpha Xi Delta does not require any college. Our AI are usually moms, friends, etc.

clemsongirl 08-26-2017 11:37 PM

I can't find it right now (I strongly dislike the organization of our new website update) but I'm fairly certain we don't require college graduation either.

thetalady 08-27-2017 12:31 AM

Theta requires that an alumna initiate have attended college, but I do not see a requirement that she is required to have graduated.

ASTalumna06 08-27-2017 02:27 AM

I thought we had a requirement that an AI attended at least one year of college, but after reviewing our requirements on our website, nothing about that is mentioned. Perhaps this has changed. Or maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

Either way, IMO, it doesn't make sense to require that an AI has attended college. Being initiated in this manner isn't an everyday thing, and it's generally reserved for people who have served the organization in some manner, and/or have been recognized by a current member as obviously possessing traits and values that are aligned with those of the organization. I can't see how attending college would affect that in any way.

And honestly, most AIs that I've seen initiated in our organization are older (50+ years old). Attending college when they were in their late teens wasn't as common as it is now. And if you're willing to offer AI, how backwards is it to accept thousands of new members each year who just stepped foot onto a college campus and have virtually no exposure to the organization, but then turn someone away who, for example, has spent years working at headquarters, or has served as a beloved house mother for decades, simply because she never went to college?

Titchou 08-27-2017 07:59 AM

We used to require 2 years but I believe it's been waived altogether.

33girl 08-27-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 2340034)
I believe that at least one of the NPHC fraternities requires that someone actually have Bachelors degree in order to become a brother through a graduate chapter.

Does this also apply to any/all of the NPC AI?

NPHC grad membership =/= (like really really =/=) to NPC AI.

NinjaPoodle 08-28-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2439977)
NPHC grad membership =/= (like really really =/=) to NPC AI.

Exactly. Thank you.