GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   A Bad Advisor! (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=95648)

Froggy11 04-22-2008 09:48 AM

A Bad Advisor!

I am part of a NPC sorority, but don't want to reveal my organization or school. My sorority is close to 125 girls and most of us are pretty close.

However, recently, we have had a huge problem! We had this alumnae who is a founder of our chapter come back to be our risk management advisor this spring semester. At first she seemed nice and just wanted to get to know us. Then she started demanding that we hang out with her 24/7, always saying that "she was a founder so we had to" she would give alcohol to underage sisters and would get so drunk that we had to take care of her. She is close to 40 yrs old and seems not to have a life. She also lives over an hour away and will just show up and expect us to drop everything to hang out with her. Our regular chapter advisor went to our regional nationals person with her concerns, and nationals asked her the founder advisor to step down, and she did.

But now this founder/alumna still is communicating with some of our sisters and tells them to be sneaky about alcohol (to the point where some of our girls got in trouble with greek life) tells them how horrible nationals and exec are ect., she still shows up at events and she just won't leave us alone! Now there is a division between some of our sisters because of this alumna.

Our regular chapter advisor, membership advisor and old advisor (who was the president when our chapter was founded) have been trying to get this alumna to go away, but she won't listen to them.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have any ideas?

33girl 04-22-2008 10:10 AM

Are the sisters who hang out with her sisters who would be partying anyway? I mean you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. It almost sounds like they're saying "Annie Alumna talked me into it" when they would have done it anyway.

Does she have a lot of friends among other chapter alumnae? If so, you need to tread very lightly or you might alienate a lot of people.

You've gone through all the channels you can go through as far as sorority protocol, and it still hasn't helped the problem, so obviously the only other thing that could be done is to have her terminated, and it's VERY hard to do that to an alumna. And even if you did - she might just blow it off and say "oh this is nationals being bitches, I'm still your sister!"

Honestly, it sounds like she's just absolutely unhappy with her life and wants to be back in college. I'm having a little bit of that myself right now (and I'm that age) so I know how she feels.

If she has other friends who were in the chapter, maybe see if you can get her reconnected with them and they can hang out together - because believe me, she'll have far more fun doing that than she will hanging out w/ 20 year olds.

Kevin 04-22-2008 10:15 AM

Have you communicated this to your advisers?

I wouldn't recommend any action whatsoever or any further official communication with this lady unless it's through another adviser. You shouldn't have a difficult time getting the other alumnae on your side here.

ETA: Ignore me, 33 has it right, nothing more than what she said needs to be said.

ree-Xi 04-22-2008 10:26 AM

Yikes! I have not been in your situation, but I feel bad for all involved. It goes without saying that her actions are most inapropriate.

Although she is an alumna, and a founder, no less, she is disrespecting every one of you, and the sisterhood. Are there other alumnae who can reach out to her? If you cannot speak to her about this, you may benefit from having other alumnae who know her, talk to her.

Aside from that, you need to let her know that what is going on is not okay. Remember, that until someone draws a line in the sand, she may very well just keep going on her power trip. I don't know if she is trying to re-live her college days, has issues in her own life that she is trying to escape, etc., and that really isn't my business. But in my experience, people will take advantage of a situation unless someone stops them.

Lastly, I would encourage a "pass the gavel" type discussion, maybe on a weekly basis, until the chapter is back to where it was. There is obvious discord and probably a lot of confusion. Be there for each other.

I wish you the best of luck in this sitatuation.

Froggy11 04-22-2008 10:27 AM

I know what you are saying about leading a horse to water, but this seems out of control. Some of the girls do party.

However, it is uncharectersitic of these girls to blatantly break the rules. For instance, this alumna said it was ok for them to drink in the house because she did it 10someodd years ago and it wasn't a big deal. Well it is a big deal now. One of the sororities was put on probation last semester for greek life finding a beer can in their house. The girls who were drinking had to go infront of standards. After that some of them tried to stay away from the alumna.

We recently had formal and the alumna freaked out on the whole chapter when she found out that we don't allow drinking on the bus to formal, which was a 15 minute drive, she wrote emails to exec and other alumna to plead that we stop this practice because it violated our trust in our sisters. When that didn't work, she had some of the actives meet her and got them so drunk that they weren't even allowed to get on the bus because they were so fall down drunk. One girl threw up right in the middle of the greek row.

I mean we have alumna from time to time come visit. But nothing like this. She calls sisters constantly, writes emails, texts, and then shows up and DEMANDS that we meet her because she is a chapter founder.

From what I can tell she doesn't get along with any of the other alumna that act as our advisors and they are all about the same age. One of our advisors stays as far as humanly possible away from her because apparently there was an incident when she was a new member that involved this alumna who was a senior.

I don't know if she knows any other alumni her age. Our college is in a small, almost rural town. Only the college is really there. She lives and works in one of the major citys in our state. I would think that there would be more people for her to socialize with there.

I don't want to sound like I don't want alumna around or I don't like them or anything. I love our advisors, they are great! And most of the alumni I have met at homecoming or have come help out during recruitment or something have been very nice and funny and just seem to love being with us. This alumna is different.

33girl 04-22-2008 10:50 AM

This definitely sounds like she is unhappy in her life, and she's tracing it back to something that happened in college - like if she can go back and "redo" it all she can fix her life or something.

Or, I could be overanalyzing and she's just batshit crazy. I mean, to not know that people don't want to hang out with you? I went up to visit my chapter a lot after I graduated, and I know there were a few sisters who resented it, but if it had been ALL of them I certainly wouldn't have kept returning.

The only other thing I can think of is to block her emails/texts and just ignore her. If she shows up at the house, either magically 1) everyone has a class that they need to get to or 2) are going to the library to study.

SWTXBelle 04-22-2008 10:52 AM

You need to talk to your advisors, tell them that you fear your chapter will get into BIG trouble, and leave it up to the advisors to contact the appropriate officer to take care of this alumna before she jeopardizes your charter. I imagine the area collegiate advisor will be more than happy to talk to your founder/alumna about risk management.

SigKapSweetie 04-22-2008 10:57 AM

That's awful! I hope this alumna gets the help that she needs - something is clearly going on in her life to elicit this type of behavior as a defense mechanism.

33girl 04-22-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWTXBelle (Post 1638064)
You need to talk to your advisors, tell them that you fear your chapter will get into BIG trouble, and leave it up to the advisors to contact the appropriate officer to take care of this alumna before she jeopardizes your charter. I imagine the area collegiate advisor will be more than happy to talk to your founder/alumna about risk management.

They've DONE that. What is nationals or an advisor going to do, call the cops on her or police the house? And I don't think this woman is going to give 2 craps about anything the area advisor says to her about risk management.

The chapter members who are receiving her texts and emails need to stop communicating with her, because until they do, she'll take their response as a sign of welcome and keep showing up.

Elephant Walk 04-22-2008 11:28 AM

Haze her.

ComradesTrue 04-22-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1638062)
Or, I could be overanalyzing and she's just batshit crazy.

Yep. This gets my vote.

And she sounds like *she* has a drinking problem too. This is someone who is not living in reality.

I am so very sorry. I think 33 has given you some excellent advice. It sounds like you are trying to take the high road, and I applaud you for that.

AOII Angel 04-22-2008 11:54 AM

Sounds like you need to have a whole chapter meeting just about this alum. Nationals cannot make her stay away, but you can instruct you members that this alumna cannot override the rules of the organization just because she is a "founder." They need to understand that any untoward behaviour in the future will be grounds for a standards investigation and that the excuse that this alumna made them do it will not stand. The collegiates have to learn to say no to this woman. She'll never stop as long as she gets attention when she shows up to campus. Don't dance around the subject...be straight forward with your members, then let the alumna know in a formal letter what your chapter has decided about her involvement with the chapter. Also make sure to let her know that you welcome her to any usual events that alumnae are invited to....not to daily chapter life!

ForeverRoses 04-22-2008 12:18 PM

Do chapter "founders" get any more respect/perks than "regular" chapter alumnae? I know they signed the charter and all, but I don't remember ever having to go above and beyond just because someone was a founder. Since this woman is no longer an advisor, can the "actives only" card be played? She can't show up for an event and expect to go, because it is for actives only. Same with Chapter, etc. And the voicemails and text messages need to be ignored.

Froggy11 04-22-2008 02:10 PM

The bigger problem really is that there are a bunch of girls who idolize this alumna. This group is getting smaller and smaller, but it is causing division and a lack of respect for each other and especially our executive board.

Most of the seniors and juniors want nothing to do with her, but some of our younger girls like this alumna alot -- mostly because she buys them alcohol, food and sorority gifts.

Kevin 04-22-2008 02:20 PM

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is a crime in most jurisdictions.

I'm not saying you should call the police. I'm not even saying you should threaten to. You should, however, make sure that your alumnae know that not only is what this lady doing bad for your chapter, it's also probably a crime.

(I have no knowledge as to whether it is or not, you'd have to ask someone who is qualified to answer that question whether it is or not)