GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Used Goods and Clothing (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=68434)

AznSAE 07-15-2005 11:09 AM

Used Goods and Clothing

i am not talking about your boyfriends/girfriends. but, how many of you are fans of used goods (cars, clothes, etc)? do you have to have brand new things?

i have to admit that i own clothes from thrifts and trading stores. some of them look new and in better condition than the new ones. i also drive a used car.

SigmaChiCard 07-15-2005 11:30 AM

i've started getting a great deal of my clothing from this shop called unique - it a thrift shop - and it's great

it's hard to find a good thrift shop though

JenMarie 07-15-2005 11:54 AM

I've found some decent Express items from a consignment store called Crossroads in Sacramento.

I've tried to sell my stuff there but they are super picky about what they take in. However I see a lot of crap hanging all over the place too. :rolleyes:

AchtungBaby80 07-15-2005 12:16 PM

I like clothes from thrift stores--they're cheap, and I can sometimes find some really cool things (it's hard to find stuff that suits my taste in most retail stores). However, I'm really anal about washing everything I buy in thrift stores twice before I wear it...wait, I do that with stuff I buy new, too. You never know!

Kevlar281 07-15-2005 12:25 PM

I have a black 1999 GMC Sierra 4x4 single cab that I bought for $8,000. I don’t think there is anything wrong with buying a used car considering how much a new one depreciates in value. You just have to have a basic automotive knowledge or at least be able to research the vehicle your buying, so you know what problems you need to look for. Personally I love my truck and I hope to have if for a minimum of another 150,000 miles.

Steeltrap 07-15-2005 12:27 PM

I am a big fan of consignment/resale and thrift stores. If not for those type of stores, I wouldn't have the wardrobe that I have. Generally speaking, I get my stuff from stores in affluent neighborhoods. The prices aren't rock bottom, but they're much better than retail.
I also tend to buy used books.

SigmaChiCard 07-15-2005 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
I like clothes from thrift stores--they're cheap, and I can sometimes find some really cool things (it's hard to find stuff that suits my taste in most retail stores). However, I'm really anal about washing everything I buy in thrift stores twice before I wear it...wait, I do that with stuff I buy new, too. You never know!
oh - i wash my hands when i leave the place and don't put it on til it's been washed, then dry cleaned.

unique is louisville is an awesome shop if ever you are there - it's off, gasp, preston highway.

Zillini 07-15-2005 12:42 PM

I don't buy stuff from thrift shops, but I do donate alot especially to the Salvation Army and another one that supports a battered women and abused children shelter. We accumulate so much stuff at my house that is no longer needed from toys the kids don't play with to clothes they've grown out of.

I also lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and donated all my big clothes. I didn't want them in my closet for a "safety net". If I ever regain then I'd have to shop and since I don't want to spend money on that, I'm hoping it would give my motivation a kick start to get back on the diet track. There was nothing wrong with these clothes, rather stylish I might add, they just didn't fit any more.

I don't have the time, energy or interest in holding yard sales and know this helps out a good cause. I would never donate something that was broken or trashed, only things that we simply no longer need or use. Plus the tax write off is a nice bonus.

BirthaBlue4 07-15-2005 01:56 PM

We have a thrift "chain" called Value Village. The one offa Route 198 in Laurel is GREAT! They have allllllllll kinds of stuff. I once found this REALLY nice blue and gold picture frame, metal, really heavy with little "diamonds". It looked expensive, but was only $6 (EASILY $20-30+ at a real store).

One thing that disturbed me....they were selling PANTIES. They had them hung up individually on hangers. I'm sorry, I'm not wearing used drawls, especially these days. If I can't afford anything else, I'll buy some underwear. I don't even like to buy loose underwear (in a bin), people been running their hands all over them and what not. Eww.

lauralaylin 07-15-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BirthaBlue4
We have a thrift "chain" called Value Village. The one offa Route 198 in Laurel is GREAT! They have allllllllll kinds of stuff. I once found this REALLY nice blue and gold picture frame, metal, really heavy with little "diamonds". It looked expensive, but was only $6 (EASILY $20-30+ at a real store).

One thing that disturbed me....they were selling PANTIES. They had them hung up individually on hangers. I'm sorry, I'm not wearing used drawls, especially these days. If I can't afford anything else, I'll buy some underwear. I don't even like to buy loose underwear (in a bin), people been running their hands all over them and what not. Eww.

It's so funny that you mention this place, I went to it just yesterday for the first time. A friend was in RI from DC and wanted to check out the one there, although it went by the name Savers (but the same company). It was very well organized, but I didn't find much. Just an Express shirt from a few years ago that I have in other colors and a great yellow knit sweater from the Gap or Old Navy, I forget.

I was totally skeeved out by the underwear too, although it was all hanging in this store, so it was a little better.

carnation 07-15-2005 03:35 PM

The big fad here among teenagers is buying your T-shirts at the Salvation Army. No clue why.

I have found some super buys there, though--we use a lot of picture frames and you can get them there for less than 50 cents!

Lady Pi Phi 07-15-2005 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BirthaBlue4

Value Village is also in Canada and I've been able to find some good stuff occasionally. There's also a lot of crap.

I was introduced to a great thrift shop in Sauble Beach called The Patch. They had second hand clothes, a lot that looked brand news, and they also sold some really cool jewlery (not second hand). I'm really regretting not buying a skirt I saw in their now.

cutiepatootie 07-16-2005 10:54 AM

There is a place in glendora run by am vets and glendora ppl are well to do so you find some good stuff there especially name brand barely used clothes and a lot of waverely products

other good ones are run y the jr league too

Sister Havana 07-16-2005 11:21 AM

I buy used books all the time...either from eBay or used book stores. Goodwill is also a good source of used books. :)

I have quite a few preowned bags too. Almost all the Vera Bradley things I have are from eBay. Some were new with tags, some gently used...all at a significant savings. Best deal there was a Metropolitan (very gently used), pocket wallet and coin purse all for $49 including shipping. (The bag alone goes for $76 retail!)

Preowned underwear though...no thanks. That's one-owner stuff for me! When I was at Copley, I took an ad from someone who was selling used bras. It was all I could do not to laugh.

Steeltrap 07-16-2005 11:27 AM

^^
Quite a few of my handbags are pre-owned. My Gucci and Prada are pre-owned, and I got them at ridiculous prices because they were "as is." All they needed was a bit of cleaning and polishing at the repair shop.
Then again, some La Jolla/Newport Beach person's junk is my treasure.:p

SigKapBling 07-16-2005 04:38 PM

YAAAY i LOVE my used Jetta ... 2001 and i bought it last april with only 24,000 miles on it ... thats beeeeautiful :)

i like thrift stores - whenever we go to santa monica we go to one called Aardvarks? right by venice beach .... one of my sisters lived out there, and shes way into that stuff - and got us into it ... its actually kind of neat, all the things you can find .... :)

BirthaBlue4 07-16-2005 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
Value Village is also in Canada and I've been able to find some good stuff occasionally. There's also a lot of crap.

I believe it. It all depends on the day of the year that you go and what they have LOL. I've been to some thrift stores and everything in it looks like trashm then I go back and I find SOOOOO much stuff.

honeychile 07-16-2005 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zillini
I don't buy stuff from thrift shops, but I do donate alot especially to the Salvation Army and another one that supports a battered women and abused children shelter. We accumulate so much stuff at my house that is no longer needed from toys the kids don't play with to clothes they've grown out of.

I also lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and donated all my big clothes. I didn't want them in my closet for a "safety net". If I ever regain then I'd have to shop and since I don't want to spend money on that, I'm hoping it would give my motivation a kick start to get back on the diet track. There was nothing wrong with these clothes, rather stylish I might add, they just didn't fit any more.

I don't have the time, energy or interest in holding yard sales and know this helps out a good cause. I would never donate something that was broken or trashed, only things that we simply no longer need or use. Plus the tax write off is a nice bonus.

I do the same thing. We also have the Viet Nam Veterans who will come to your door & pick things up while you're not even there, and leave a receipt for you. :)

I could never wear someone else's used underguccis, either. A used purse, hat, or dress that was washed once I got home, I could handle, though.

33girl 07-17-2005 12:25 AM

I looooove thrift stores. My fave coat is vintage 1950 and I paid maybe $25 for it. I like it better than anything I've seen new. If I was skinnier, all my clothes would come from Eons. Unfortunately, people were much tinier back then. I do get lots of jewelry from there because they're the only place where I can get bracelets small enough to fit my wrists, and screw-back earrings.

And all hail the Red White & Blue Thrift Store - its only flaw is the lack of dressing rooms so you have to wear boxers & a tank top & try things on over them.

Kevlar281 07-17-2005 01:13 AM

I feel like a dumbass for talking about my truck in this thread.

cutiepatootie 07-17-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by honeychile
I do the same thing. We also have the Viet Nam Veterans who will come to your door & pick things up while you're not even there, and leave a receipt for you. :)

I could never wear someone else's used underguccis, either. A used purse, hat, or dress that was washed once I got home, I could handle, though.

Oh dont get me wrong i dont like other ppls clothing either. When i say i buy i will buy something that is 1) wore a few times and pitched or 2) items still with tags on them.

I just bought a kitchen aide red mixer for $25 and they are normally $150 in the stores.

Purses, and floral swags and waverly curtains , pillows, comforters ( nicely and gentley used) is what i am searching out. My son just started his first league sports program and even at 5 yr old they need cleets for soccor.....i got him a pair there for $5 never used kid dropped out and they were nike.

Yard Sales......i just bought this house a few yrs ago and i am still needing to furnish it i search out certain things at yard sales. if i see something that is not in good condition and it is the one thng i am direly searching for I wont buy it. It has to be newely used.....VERY VERRRRy picky about things like that

AznSAE 07-17-2005 05:54 PM

for those in the dallas area, there is a store that buys and sells used clothes. i think its called katos, but not sure. i tried looking it up but the search brought up womens clothing. there is suppose to be one in plano. do you know what the stores name is?

Munchkin03 07-17-2005 09:00 PM

I very very very rarely go into a thrift shop. A few years ago, my friend's place burned down and she needed some stuff for a few days before her insurance check came in. I went with her to the Salvation Army, and I found an authentic Burberry trench for $9 (apparently, they didn't know what it was!). It's way too big for me or for anyone else in my family, so I'm looking to sell it...

I do, however, do eBay occasionally--primarily for purses that I really liked, but were part of a limited edition (like Kate Spade's "have courage" bags she did after 9/11).

DZTUBAGIRL 08-05-2005 09:28 AM

I used to be really anal about wearing used clothing but now I can't get enough of thrift shop t shirts. Whenever I go home I try to find good thrift stores to go to. BTW if anyone knows any good ones in the Annapolis/Columbia/Bowie area let me know. Last time I went to a thrift shop I went with my mom and she wouldn't even touch the clothes...like they were going to bite her. We couldn't believe there were used underwear and bathing suits! EEEWW:eek: