GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Careers & Employment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Quarter Life Crisis (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=71370)

Allie 10-13-2005 08:03 PM

Quarter Life Crisis

So I think I have hit my quarter life crisis a little early. There is a lot of good advice around here so I thought I would ask for some...

I have been out of school for a year and a half and well I can't seem to find a job that I like. My BS is simular to a Biology degree and I just can't seem to find anything I really like that still pays good. Currently, my position pays well but I know it's not for me.

With that being said I thought about going back to school to get second BS in nursing. Once I looked into this option I know I would just be better off to get a masters. I'm just worried that I will be locking myself into something to specific...

So I'll take any input if you have a masters, if you think it's a waste of time, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions or information :)

KSigkid 10-13-2005 09:14 PM

Re: Quarter Life Crisis

Quote:

Originally posted by Allie
So I think I have hit my quarter life crisis a little early. There is a lot of good advice around here so I thought I would ask for some...

I have been out of school for a year and a half and well I can't seem to find a job that I like. My BS is simular to a Biology degree and I just can't seem to find anything I really like that still pays good. Currently, my position pays well but I know it's not for me.

With that being said I thought about going back to school to get second BS in nursing. Once I looked into this option I know I would just be better off to get a masters. I'm just worried that I will be locking myself into something to specific...

So I'll take any input if you have a masters, if you think it's a waste of time, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions or information :)

A couple of things:
It took me a couple of years to find the "right" job for me, and it just recently happened. The job market is what it is, and for a lot of people, that means making compromises with first and even second jobs. You obviously know your financial situation, so maybe you can afford to wait longer.

Secondly, a good nursing program is difficult; a (very intelligent) friend of mine just finished a nurse practitioner program at a good school, and she really worked her tail off for three years. Like anything else, I'd be completely sure before making any grad school decisions.

winneythepooh7 10-14-2005 06:53 AM

I don't think getting a Master's is a waste of time if it is in a field you really want to do, will really make a difference in finding a great job and that there is the understanding that it may not make a difference in finding a great job, because a lot of people get their Master's these days, thus, making lots of fields "flooded". I think that it takes several years right out of undergrad, hell, even grad, to find "the right fit". I see you mentioned "quarter life crisis".........it's been mentioned before on GC, but you should check out this site: www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/

I am sure you will find a lot of people there going through your exact same or similar situation ;).