GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   re-rushing next semester: common thing? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=144120)

msu25 09-30-2014 08:12 PM

re-rushing next semester: common thing?

I got a bid from a fraternity at MSU, then got a phone call a few days later saying I've been dropped from the pledge process. After the thorough discouragement passed, I thought about re-rushing in the spring. Is re-rushing a common thing? I would feel like a huge loser if this isn't a common thing guys do.

33girl 09-30-2014 08:29 PM

Please specify the MSU you are speaking of (there are several).

msu25 10-01-2014 07:48 PM

that doesn't matter at all but it's Michigan State

SoCalGirl 10-01-2014 07:59 PM

It matters because what's common at one school could be unheard of at another.

Sciencewoman 10-01-2014 08:14 PM

Did they tell you why you were dropped?

als463 10-01-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msu25 (Post 2294655)
that doesn't matter at all but it's Michigan State

For starters, you may not want to immediately get snippy with a veteran GCer when coming on here to ask for advice. It does actually matter because there is a big difference between recruitment at Michigan State University (Big Ten) and Mississippi State University (SEC).

DeltaBetaBaby 10-02-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als463 (Post 2294675)
For starters, you may not want to immediately get snippy with a veteran GCer when coming on here to ask for advice. It does actually matter because there is a big difference between recruitment at Michigan State University (Big Ten) and Mississippi State University (SEC).

Beat me to it.

FSUZeta 10-02-2014 09:24 AM

Maybe his attitude is why he was dropped.

LaneSig 10-02-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msu25 (Post 2294493)
I got a bid from a fraternity at MSU, then got a phone call a few days later saying I've been dropped from the pledge process. After the thorough discouragement passed, I thought about re-rushing in the spring. Is re-rushing a common thing? I would feel like a huge loser if this isn't a common thing guys do.

At many schools, re-rushing in the Spring is not a big deal.

However, you need to be honest with yourself about the reason you were given for being dropped. Did the fraternity you pledged have a legitimate reason for dropping you? If they did, you have to be aware that the fraternity has members with friends in other chapters. Depending on the reason for being dropped, they may have spoken about it to other chapters: "Yeah, we lost a pledge because of ....." You need to be prepared that a group might have heard about the drop and ask you about it.

You also need to be prepared for groups asking you if you pledged anywhere last semester. Don't lie. If you lie and they find out, you could potentially be dropped again. If you don't want to say you were dropped, just say something along the lines of "It didn't feel like a good fit once I was in their program." Again, just like the Boy Scouts say, be prepared.

Good luck to you.

als463 10-02-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2294710)
Maybe his attitude is why he was dropped.

You and I----kindred spirits. I was thinking the same thing. It just seemed odd how he got snippy with her when she was asking a very basic and important question that I did not perceive to be the least bit nasty.

Also, I hope the OP will take the advice of LaneSig as he is wise regarding fraternities (among many other things). OP, please do what LaneSig says.

BadCat25 10-03-2014 12:22 PM

Its very possible that he didn't do anything wrong, that the fraternity gave out more bids than the size of the pledge class they wanted and dropped him to get down to that size or someone else came along they wanted more. This happened to a guy from my high school graduating class at UGA. He was given and accepted a bid at a summer party only to be told the day before formal bid day that he was dropped. He was never able to join another fraternity and became a bitter GDI.

msu25 10-03-2014 02:10 PM

So at a big ten school, is re-rushing common?

als463 10-03-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadCat25 (Post 2294849)
Its very possible that he didn't do anything wrong, that the fraternity gave out more bids than the size of the pledge class they wanted and dropped him to get down to that size or someone else came along they wanted more. This happened to a guy from my high school graduating class at UGA. He was given and accepted a bid at a summer party only to be told the day before formal bid day that he was dropped. He was never able to join another fraternity and became a bitter GDI.

Wow. This situation of the guy from your high school is horrible. That's a real pity that happened. :eek:

BadCat25 10-03-2014 04:45 PM

msu25
I don't know anything specific about MSU but in general big ten schools are far more open to second rushes than SEC type schools. If I were you I would give it a shot because if you don't you will never be in a fraternity. SO
Study hard & get top grades
Get involved in a student org but not a nerd one
Dress like a greek, not like a nerd
Don't rush the same house that dropped you
Don't target top tier houses, the ones that are most selective
Try and make friends with fraternity members but don't be a stalker
Don't talk about your crap experience to anyone
Don't mention your first rush during your second unless asked and if you are just say that you dropped out because as a stupid freshman the houses you rushed were not a good fit
Best of luck

thetalady 10-03-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadCat25 (Post 2294883)
I don't know anything specific about MSU but in general big ten schools are far more open to second rushes than SEC type schools. If I were you I would give it a shot because if you don't you will never be in a fraternity. SO
Study hard & get top grades
Get involved in a student org but not a nerd one
Dress like a greek, not like a nerd
Don't rush the same house that dropped you
Don't target top tier houses, the ones that are most selective
Try and make friends with fraternity members but don't be a stalker
Don't talk about your crap experience to anyone
Don't mention your first rush during your second unless asked and if you are just say that you dropped out because as a stupid freshman the houses you rushed were not a good fit
Best of luck

Oh, OK... so LYING is the way to go? Because no one in another fraternity could possibly know the truth, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: