GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Indiana University Recruitment 2020 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246778)

Cookiez17 01-11-2020 06:39 PM

A girl from out of state could certainly use one of those gift certificates.

On that note Indiana Panhellenic Instagram is uploading the door chants in their recruitment story. I still imagine being the PNM at the front of the line, the door opens, and it's a ton of noise.

Blue2 01-13-2020 06:26 AM

Does anyone know how many PNMs actually participated in recruitment?
Also how many did Chi O, ASA and DPhiE take during informals last Fall?

ForeverRoses 01-13-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue2 (Post 2472632)
Does anyone know how many PNMs actually participated in recruitment?
Also how many did Chi O, ASA and DPhiE take during informals last Fall?

I haven't seen anything official from Panhellenic regarding PNM registration, so I don't feel comfortable giving an exact number, but I can say that it is in line with prior years.

ChiO took somewhere around 25-30 during informal (for some reason 27 is in my head but I'm not positive). I know they were hurt by study abroad numbers this recruitment- around 20 of their juniors went abroad.

_RushPuppies_ 01-13-2020 04:54 PM

I believe it was 1600+ registered.

BUDelta4Life 01-13-2020 11:53 PM

My goddaughter is a rho gam this year, so she's getting an entirely new experience of IU rush. I talked to her a bit, and she said she's loving getting to know so many other ladies from other houses and that she feels "very invested" in all the girls in her group. She's nervous for them getting lists back on Friday and hopes she can encourage them to stick it out no matter what. She said she's trying to catch up on sleep this week! :)

APhi2KD 01-15-2020 12:08 AM

Bumping this over the 2011 IU thread.

FSUZeta 01-15-2020 06:22 AM

Thank you!

ivyrose2 01-17-2020 09:03 AM

Lists for the weekend will be released today...

ForeverRoses 01-17-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivyrose2 (Post 2472764)
Lists for the weekend will be released today...

Three rounds of sisterhood are tonight, the other 6 are tomorrow.

jla21 01-17-2020 09:22 AM

I'm so nervous for my friends DD going through. Did they get their lists this morning or do they get them before tonight? My DD is a junior in a house but she is studying abroad so she usually gives me info! Good luck to any of your girls going though!

jla21 01-17-2020 09:27 AM

This one can be a big cut sometimes!

ForeverRoses 01-17-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jla21 (Post 2472766)
I'm so nervous for my friends DD going through. Did they get their lists this morning or do they get them before tonight? My DD is a junior in a house but she is studying abroad so she usually gives me info! Good luck to any of your girls going though!

I believe they will get their lists from their Rho Gammas this afternoon. I cannot imagine getting your list in the morning and then having to go to class- especially if you are disappointed by the list!

jla21 01-17-2020 10:22 AM

makes sense!
thanks!

Cookiez17 01-17-2020 01:52 PM

I'm gonna be on the other side of recruitment this year for the first time (I'm a a much smaller school where you don't need recs or anything.) I can't imagine separating the rounds into weekends or how crazy the ranking gets.

To the PNMs and parents out there, remember to treat your list as a fresh canvas. Go in and give everyone a chance.

Sister Havana 01-17-2020 02:06 PM

Article in yesterday’s IDS mentions a few new/changed rules for this year’s recruitment.

ForeverRoses 01-17-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sister Havana (Post 2472774)
Article in yesterday’s IDS mentions a few new/changed rules for this year’s recruitment.

I'm amused that the woman they interviewed about the "positive" changes is still referring to recruitment as "rush".

GreekOne 01-17-2020 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverRoses (Post 2472775)
I'm amused that the woman they interviewed about the "positive" changes is still referring to recruitment as "rush".

Hadn't thought about it, but how do you use "recruitment" in the past tense as a verb? She said "when I rushed." "When I went through recruitment" is a mouthful and
"When I recruited" sounds extremely awkward to me.:)

FSUZeta 01-17-2020 06:38 PM

When I recruitmented (lol)

Cookiez17 01-17-2020 06:40 PM

I mean people nowadays use the terms recruitment and rush in an interchangeable manner. It's going to be a while before people use only one.

carnation 01-17-2020 07:09 PM

When I new membered....

Cookiez17 01-17-2020 07:29 PM

Oh god carnation I'm rolling! Because I grew up in a house with only boys it was called a pledge and rush (my dad was in a fraternity in college and my brothers were in the same chapter at the same uni!) so I'm honestly still getting used to NPC terms.

ivyrose2 01-18-2020 08:41 AM

LOL. Seems like the only term you don't hear much is pledge, but I still hear "rush" a bunch. And, can't figure why it's not ok to call someone a "pledge" but ok to call new members "babies" ? I'd rather be a pledge than be called a "baby". Maybe it's my age. Seems like it's raining and getting colder this weekend-good luck to the PMN's! Hang in there!

Titchou 01-18-2020 08:57 AM

The national NPC orgs do not support the use of the term "baby." Now we all know that things like this are hard to get rid of on the chapter level.

ASTalumna06 01-18-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivyrose2 (Post 2472789)
LOL. Seems like the only term you don't hear much is pledge, but I still hear "rush" a bunch. And, can't figure why it's not ok to call someone a "pledge" but ok to call new members "babies" ? I'd rather be a pledge than be called a "baby". Maybe it's my age. Seems like it's raining and getting colder this weekend-good luck to the PMN's! Hang in there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2472790)
The national NPC orgs do not support the use of the term "baby." Now we all know that things like this are hard to get rid of on the chapter level.

It does seem like the "baby" thing isn't as prominent as it once was, though (fortunately). There was a time not too long ago when it seemed like every post on social media was about welcoming "our new baby ____!" I think enough NPC orgs put out messages discouraging the use of the word - and the reasons why - and it's largely fallen by the wayside.

BUDelta4Life 01-18-2020 04:21 PM

My rho gam goddaughter was upset she had two girls in her group drop yesterday after they got their lists, but she also convinced two others to stay in and give the houses they got a try. She said other than that, she had a mostly happy group!

95SisterMom19 01-18-2020 04:43 PM

Hello ladies! New to posting, but followed last year as my daughter was a PNM and this year now that she's on the other side.

Just want to comment that changing verbiage doesn't matter much IMO when there continues to be an unofficial tier system that undermines so many houses that are doing amazing things at IU and pushes so many great girls to drop during recruitment b/c they make decisions based on "pairs" vs academics, philanthropy, and sisterhood.

Why are some of these "top tier" houses playing into this game of being proud of their rank when it's based on the men they are associated with vs what THEY as a group of women bring to the table?!?!?! I know this is the exact opposite of what the founding women of my sorority (and I'm sure ALL of the other 21 on campus) would want their organizations "rank" to be based upon.

Policies discouraging words like "baby," "rush," and "pledge" aren't going to change the culture of Greek Life on a campus. Policies that encourage sororities on campus to refuse to use the current tier system to boast about their houses and trash other houses will.

Just my two cents as an alum of a "middle" tier house with a daughter as a current member. Not trying to be a downer, I just get so frustrated to hear about girls who decide to drop after 9 party b/c they didn't get a certain group of "top" tier houses back on their list. Derogatory terms would be the least of my worries when it comes to empowering PNMs to make the right choice for themselves this week.

33girl 01-18-2020 06:09 PM

The only way I can think of to fix that is a lottery for big things like Homecoming and a rotation where everyone mixes with everyone. The thing is, BOTH sides have to try and make it work. We blame the current climate on the fraternities only wanting to mix with the hottest sororities, but there are plenty of times that sororities aren’t the nicest to “lower tier” fraternities either.

jla21 01-18-2020 06:11 PM

I agree! I was an AXO at IU and my DD is a XO now at IU and the terrible things that are being said by either frats or sororities on other sites blows my mind. If you are only picking a house based on who they pair with... what's the point? It's the whole experience of being in a sorority. I still have lifelong friends from my years in the house & my DD has had the same experience of genuine friends. I hope PNMs have a positive experience and find the right fit for them. There are all types of girls in each house. My friends DD is going through now and was initially disappointed with her choices from 9 party. She got back 6 house, she didn't get invited back by her favorites, but had a couple that she was still interested in. She went to both of those and really loved one and likes the other. So now she waits until tomorrow morning. I'm hoping she gets one or both of those and gets to see what feels right at preference round. Good luck to all those going through now!

FSUZeta 01-19-2020 07:12 AM

So there are no parties scheduled today?

ForeverRoses 01-19-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2472812)
So there are no parties scheduled today?

Preference is today. Bid night is Tuesday

ivyrose2 01-19-2020 11:05 AM

More silence. Very interesting year on this board. I guess that means all is going well, and all involved are well informed about the process! For those who are stalking, IMO (and I think the opinion of most on this thread), go ahead and attend the preference parties you are invited to! You might find a connection there! The fork in the road for some of us here may be at the point of signing your card, but for now I think we all would agree to continue on with the next step of this process!! Good luck!!

BBH 01-19-2020 11:12 AM

In years past I think we had more of us who had daughters actually going through as PNM's and this year it doesn't seem like we have anyone, at least none that are posting questions.

The IU Parents Facebook group has been very quiet as well. GR is alive and well with its normal BS type of posts.

IndianaSigKap 01-19-2020 11:16 AM

In our friend group, we only have one whose daughter is going through and she is a legacy to two chapters and had them both yesterday. Hoping she has them both today. She has had a very low key recruitment so far, which is very nice for her and her mom! :)

I also feel like this year may have slightly better outcomes given that IU is following the NPC quota method.

BBH 01-19-2020 12:47 PM

We know a few girls, one of which is a legacy to my D’s house. The other is a legacy to another house, the third I don’t think is a legacy to any. This will be the last year we know anyone going through rush at IU.

Next year it will be my younger D’s turn but she’s going OOS and rush is nothing like IU ‘s so won’t have the same stress as we did a few years ago.

PNMmom18 01-19-2020 02:17 PM

Quiet

I think the thread is quieter because there is now an IU FB group like this thread. I just read on there someones daughter maxed her options and got no bid for Prefs. I didn't think that was possible if you listed all your houses available?

95SisterMom19 01-19-2020 02:21 PM

I know last year was crazy with XO, so did that make a difference as far as chatter? Is there usually some sort of "scandal" each year? Since last year was my first year back in the Greek scene, it seemed CRAZY, but I didn't know if that was abnormal.

Good luck to anyone going to Pref today BTW. My daughter believes it's complete TORTURE to make PNMs wait for bids tomorrow with no classes to keep them sane. Am I naive or is it truly refreshing to see how much present members worry about PMNs connecting to the house and being happy/successful vs thinking PNMs will be theirs to harrass and "haze" so they know their place?!?! I don't believe it's just her house, but all sororities in general are trying to spread a culture of building each other up vs tearing down.

95SisterMom19 01-19-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNMmom18 (Post 2472819)
I think the thread is quieter because there is now an IU FB group like this thread. I just read on there someones daughter maxed her options and got no bid for Prefs. I didn't think that was possible if you listed all your houses available?

What is the name of the FB page? Just curious (nosy) to go see what people are saying.

IndianaSigKap 01-19-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNMmom18 (Post 2472819)

No, this is not possible. I don't think preference parties are even over. So bid matching has not even begun, so she cannot be bidless. I think the mother might be confused, maybe the PNM in question did not receive any invitations to preference?

PNMmom18 01-19-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95SisterMom19 (Post 2472821)
What is the name of the FB page? Just curious (nosy) to go see what people are saying.

Sorority and Fraternity Life - Indiana University for Parents

PNMmom18 01-19-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap (Post 2472822)
No, this is not possible. I don't think preference parties are even over. So bid matching has not even begun, so she cannot be bidless. I think the mother might be confused, maybe the PNM in question did not receive any invitations to preference?

Right no invitation to preference, I am sorry I must have worded it wrong. Still I thought that was impossible?