GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

KSUViolet06 08-17-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplforever (Post 1836311)

At my friends school its the same deal (rush is 2nd semester, its cold, people wear uggs in between houses). Well she had finished up at her party and came outside to put on her uggs when lo and behold, someone pooped in her uggs! I still cant fathom how it could have happened

Oh. My. Word.

TSteven 08-17-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB (Post 1835544)
Yes. I would rather that chapters showed a video about their philanthropy or talked about it, or even had someone from the organization they support there to say something. Fill the rest of the time with normal chit-chat as in the other days of recruitment.

General hijack questions.

Under current NPC recruitment rules, is that possible? As in have a non sorority member (if no member was part of the organization) there to talk? Or even if they were a member of the sorority and part of the organization, I would guess they might be an alumnae. Again, I thought that the NPC did not allow alumnae to directly recruit. So would having an alumnae talk (either in person or on tape) about the sorority's philanthropy be considered participating in the recruiting process?

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to allow it. Perhaps if it isn't now, then something the NPC might consider down the line.

One other issue regarding philanthropy round. Regarding videos, if there is a narrative, who is allowed to do the voice over? Is it restricted to current members? Or may alumnae - either from the current or other chapters - allowed to narrate it? Can a non member do the voice over? Also, do any of the NPCs HQs produce a video that in turn may be distributed to any of their chapters for use during recruitment?

End of hijack questions.

BabyPiNK_FL 08-17-2009 07:23 PM

I don't think she meant talking to the girls personally, but making a presentation about the philanthropy and perhaps taking a few questions afterward. I'm certain this is allowed at my campus because my chapter was going to do it, but the representative was unable to make it at the last minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteven (Post 1836487)
General hijack questions.

Under current NPC recruitment rules, is that possible? As in have a non sorority member (if no member was part of the organization) there to talk? Or even if they were a member of the sorority and part of the organization, I would guess they might be an alumnae. Again, I thought that the NPC did not allow alumnae to directly recruit. So would having an alumnae talk (either in person or on tape) about the sorority's philanthropy be considered participating in the recruiting process?

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to allow it. Perhaps if it isn't now, then something the NPC might consider down the line.

One other issue regarding philanthropy round. Regarding videos, if there is a narrative, who is allowed to do the voice over? Is it restricted to current members? Or may alumnae - either from the current or other chapters - allowed to narrate it? Can a non member do the voice over? Also, do any of the NPCs HQs produce a video that in turn may be distributed to any of their chapters for use during recruitment?

End of hijack questions.

TSteven 08-17-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL (Post 1836579)
I don't think she meant talking to the girls personally, but making a presentation about the philanthropy and perhaps taking a few questions afterward. I'm certain this is allowed at my campus because my chapter was going to do it, but the representative was unable to make it at the last minute.

Good to know. Thanks.

And to be clear, I did not mean talk *with* the girls, but talk *at* them. As in what you suggested (presentation and perhaps some questions).

Given all the restrictions and regulations that govern NPC recruitment - and the whole "no frills concept" - I could see where the NPC might not allow it.

33girl 08-17-2009 09:08 PM

NPC doesn't disallow alums to directly recruit - that is up to the chapter/sorority/school. We had a recolonization attempt at my alma mater where the chapter alums had parties the same as all the other groups rushing.

You might have to disclose the cost of a video if you have it specially made for your chapters, but if James Earl Jones wants to narrate it for free, I don't think that would be a problem. After all, the people being helped by the philanthropy who are in the video aren't members either.

UGAalum94 08-17-2009 09:38 PM

I'll be the jerk.

I think it's a little goofy to emphasize philanthropy at campuses that have a rather lackadaisical approach to philanthropy during the year.

If your chapter isn't spending a 1/4 of its time overall on philanthropy projects, why make it a 1/4 of rush?

It just seems lame to me because it's so clearly image over substance.

Low C Sharp 08-17-2009 10:21 PM

Some of the FSU rush videos available on Youtube have attractive young men in them, talking about how great the XYZs are.

That seems to violate the spirit of the no-men-at-rush rule, if not the letter.
________

KDpeanut 08-18-2009 12:11 AM

This isn't really a rush story, but when I was an active we had an active sister who was 32. Wierd.

33girl 08-18-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDpeanut (Post 1836705)
This isn't really a rush story, but when I was an active we had an active sister who was 32. Wierd.

Ummm, your chapter must not have thought it was too WEIRD or they wouldn't have given her a bid.

BabyPiNK_FL 08-18-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGAalum94 (Post 1836649)
I think it's a little goofy to emphasize philanthropy at campuses that have a rather lackadaisical approach to philanthropy during the year.

If your chapter isn't spending a 1/4 of its time overall on philanthropy projects, why make it a 1/4 of rush?

It just seems lame to me because it's so clearly image over substance.

You're no jerk. I totally agree. My chapter is probably #1 in philanthropy events and donations on my campus, while some of the other chapters barely do anything, either way philanthropy night tends to be a bit boring for PNMs. They may SAY they like it, but only b/c Panhellenic does emphasize it and the chapters too because it's supposed to be an appealing aspect. However, I tend to think most PNMs' main focus lies elsewhere (ex. looks, popularity, the "fun" chapter), at least on my campus. I do wish we could think of something that's not skits or philanthropy to replace that day with.

In response to the woman who thought it was weird to have a 30 year old: my "auntie" (my big's sibling) was about 30 when she pledged, with a tween daughter. It would be less likely to happen now than it was back then, but she was and still is an amazing sister and I am so happy that she is! :)

phimusam 08-18-2009 05:28 PM

When I was a collegiate, we had a young widow come through rush - her husband had been an Air Force pilot. She was a real lady and we really wanted her, but she decided not to pledge.

Zillini 08-18-2009 07:10 PM

We had a PNM who told our active "This is a big waste of time. I'm going to be an XYZ. Can I just go outside and wait until the party is over?" Needless to say we released her. I looked her up and she did get a bid, but not to XYZ. Guess she didn't say that to all the other Chapters.

born2bdphie 08-19-2009 06:20 PM

I forgot about this one-- i was a weird pnm once! When i was COBing DPhiE I showed up an hour and a half early to the second party of the week because I mixed up the times. When I got to the house the door was locked and no one was around. I kinda hung around outside in the middle of the greek lawn for a bit, until a sister came home from class and asked me what i was doing there. When they realized I was rushing, they kind of freaked out, because obviously nothing was ready yet. I felt so bad i even offered to help them set up decorations... they must of thought I was so strange.... yet here I am!:rolleyes:

Jill1228 08-20-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zillini (Post 1837023)
We had a PNM who told our active "This is a big waste of time. I'm going to be an XYZ. Can I just go outside and wait until the party is over?" Needless to say we released her. I looked her up and she did get a bid, but not to XYZ. Guess she didn't say that to all the other Chapters.

Y'all had restraint! I would have told her not to let the door hit her in her rude pretentious ass on the way out! What a biatch!

AOEforme 08-26-2009 04:11 PM

Not really a recruitment story, but it does help to reiterate the "Be Discrete" idea:

Some dorms in Madison opened yesterday so the incoming freshmen are beginning to move in... and enjoy their freedom from Mom and Dad.

As I was leaving my house, I ran into some XYZ friends in front of their chapter house. As we're chatting, a very (very) intoxicated young lady runs up to us and asks if we are in XYZ. My two friends nodded (They really didn't want to start a conversation- HELLO, period of silence rule). The girl proceeds to squeal and yells "I'm going to be your sister soon! I'm rushing only for you guys!"

Classy!