GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

perfectinpurple 08-13-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1835175)
I concur. I think a Habitat for Humanity thing involving all the sororities working together would be far more beneficial.

/tangent

LOL at the transgender, but that same type situation happens with lots of different groups. "You cut me just because I'm ____!" No, we cut you because you had a terrible personality. Jerkiness is an equal opportunity employer.

Haha, I love this!

MysticCat 08-13-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogreek2009 (Post 1835084)
Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!

Quote:

Originally Posted by born2bdphie (Post 1835172)
sometimes I think we should be allowed to go off campus and actually DO something with rushes for our philanthropy other than put glitter on pillow cases.

Could someone explain to this guy (not transgendered) who never participated in NPC rush ('cause that's what it was many years ago when I was in college) why crafts are done on philanthropy night? I mean, I have a feeling I'd be thinking the same thing as gogreek2009's PNM. I hope I wouldn't say it, but I bet I'd be thinking it.

So what's the idea behind it?

AZ-AlphaXi 08-13-2009 05:13 PM

The original idea was to involve the PNMs with the chapter members in something meaningful and of use to the chapter's philanthropy. However, the problem in execution has become that its hard to comeup with something useful, that is easy to make, can be made expertly with minimal instruction, can be made while holding a conversation, and is of real use to the philanthropy.

Again, something that looked good on paper .. creating something for the philanthropy .. but not so good in practice.

Kansas City 08-13-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1835175)
I concur. I think a Habitat for Humanity thing involving all the sororities working together would be far more beneficial.

/tangent

I've heard of some universities that, instead of an all Greek meet-and-greet/BBQ/info session, etc. participate in a community philanthropy project where the PNMs can come and participate while meeting Greek members and learn about their organizations while working for the philanthropy. It sounds like a great idea that I'd like to see happen at my university.

AlphaFrog 08-13-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovespink88 (Post 1835170)
t and we had this cocky young male model. I immediately could tell I wouldn't like him. He was extremely full of himself the whole time, and at the end of the shoot he asks, "So like, besides costumes and stuff, do people actually buy this stuff?" Jerk!

That sounds like a faux pas that they would do on ANTM and then get bitched out in judging about pissing off clients.

lovespink88 08-13-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1835236)
That sounds like a faux pas that they would do on ANTM and then get bitched out in judging about pissing off clients.

Haha, that's actually what I thought of when it happened!

aephi alum 08-14-2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogreek2009 (Post 1835084)
Last fall, I was rushing a girl during 2nd rounds (our philanthropy rounds where we all do a craft activity for our philanthropy). She was pretty quiet and wouldn't open up to me, but finally I got her talking a tad bit. A few minutes later she looked at me and said, "I'm going to be completely honest but I think you have the stupidest philanthropy ever and this craft we are doing is something a five year old should do." I was completely appalled!

You have got to be kidding me.

A PNM is a guest in the sorority's house. (Doesn't matter if the recruitment party is actually in the chapter's house, in a function room or classroom on campus, or anywhere else.) When you're a guest in a family member's or friend's house, it's the height of rudeness to say to your host, "Oh, these hors d'oeuvres suck, did your five-year-old kid make them?" or "Ewww, why did you decorate your living room in bright orange with purple trim?" Same with recruitment - it's the height of rudeness to say to a sister, "Your decor sucks!" or "Ugh, your rush t-shirts are fugly!" or "This is a stupid craft." If you don't like it, bite your tongue and get through the party. If you can't do that, maybe you should rethink whether sorority membership is for you.

AlphaXi_Husky 08-14-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 1835210)
Could someone explain to this guy (not transgendered) who never participated in NPC rush ('cause that's what it was many years ago when I was in college) why crafts are done on philanthropy night? I mean, I have a feeling I'd be thinking the same thing as gogreek2009's PNM. I hope I wouldn't say it, but I bet I'd be thinking it.

So what's the idea behind it?

In addition to what 33girl and AZ-AlphaXi said, I think another reason the philanthropy round was created was to get away from "frills". At my alma mater it replaced what was skit round. While I don't think the women mind not practicing forever on a skit, it is a big ole PITA to find a philanthropy project that's cheap and yet needed by an organization in mass quantities.

gogreek2009 08-14-2009 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi (Post 1835153)
Please tell me you cut her that night. Who would actually say that?!

Actually, I don't think she was. I'm pretty sure she made it to pref rounds (how she did - I have NO idea) but I never did see her at any of the sororities on bid day - so I'm assuming she was cut after prefs.

Also, I agree with thinking the same thing about it being too much during pref rounds - I did too. I was sick of coloring or putting glitter glue on pillowcases. But I wouldn't have ever stated that out loud. Each girl is entitled to her own opinion, but I think that was just overkill.

I was offended the most when she said our philanthropy was 'stupid'. We as sorority women all hold our philanthropies close to our heart, so it's like a slap in the face when someone says that. At least I think so. :rolleyes:

AOEforme 08-14-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 1835360)
You have got to be kidding me.

A PNM is a guest in the sorority's house. (Doesn't matter if the recruitment party is actually in the chapter's house, in a function room or classroom on campus, or anywhere else.) When you're a guest in a family member's or friend's house, it's the height of rudeness to say to your host, "Oh, these hors d'oeuvres suck, did your five-year-old kid make them?" or "Ewww, why did you decorate your living room in bright orange with purple trim?" Same with recruitment - it's the height of rudeness to say to a sister, "Your decor sucks!" or "Ugh, your rush t-shirts are fugly!" or "This is a stupid craft." If you don't like it, bite your tongue and get through the party. If you can't do that, maybe you should rethink whether sorority membership is for you.

My friend's roommate went through recruitment and stepped into Pref Party at a house and declared... "UGH! It smells like FISH in here." (When she came back and told us that, my jaw dropped and I figured she was done!)

...And she got a bid and accepted it!

naraht 08-14-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOEforme (Post 1835413)
My friend's roommate went through recruitment and stepped into Pref Party at a house and declared... "UGH! It smells like FISH in here." (When she came back and told us that, my jaw dropped and I figured she was done!)

...And she got a bid and accepted it!

To that sorority?

AOEforme 08-14-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naraht (Post 1835511)
To that sorority?

Yup. She had been (from what she told my friend and I) pleasant and polite the rest of the week. It's just that comment was incredibly rude and something that I would generally see a girl getting cut for, especially when it's the first thing you say to your rusher as you enter the house for pref.

She must have really made up for it later!

PeppyGPhiB 08-14-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1835166)
Yeah, I think overall that the philanthropy round is a classic case of "it sounded really good on paper" but that hasn't quite translated in the fashion it was supposed to. I doubt that many of the rushees leave the parties wanting to know more or get involved with the philanthropy...and the charities are left with tons and tons of glittery bookmarks.

Yes. I would rather that chapters showed a video about their philanthropy or talked about it, or even had someone from the organization they support there to say something. Fill the rest of the time with normal chit-chat as in the other days of recruitment.

MysticCat 08-14-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi (Post 1835213)
The original idea was to involve the PNMs with the chapter members in something meaningful and of use to the chapter's philanthropy. However, the problem in execution has become that its hard to comeup with something useful, that is easy to make, can be made expertly with minimal instruction, can be made while holding a conversation, and is of real use to the philanthropy.

Again, something that looked good on paper .. creating something for the philanthropy .. but not so good in practice.

Thanks to everyone for the explanation. I can say I learned something on GC today. :D

I imagine everyone in a national/international organization has some experience with the "looked good on paper" phenomenon. I would think if I were a PNM/rushee, what I'd be interested in philanthropy-wise is why this GLO chose this philanthropy, how the GLO supports the philanthropy nationally, how the chapter supports the philanthropy (or, "what would I be expected to do"), and maybe what it has meant to one or two chapter members to be connected to the philanthropy.

pplforever 08-17-2009 12:54 AM

I went through rush last year as a pnm. we have formal rush during 2nd semester, so it is extremely cold (one day it felt like below zero). To make matters worse, the houses are all pretty spread apart. To accomodate, girls would generally bring comfy shoes such as uggs to wear while walking to the next house. When we get to the house we are supposed to be at, the rho gammas give us a 5 minute warning and we all change into our nice clothes. Well, I was standing outside my designated house and the rho gammas gave us their 5 minute call when I hear a girl behind me yell "oh shit". turns out she left her heels at another house (which was too far away to get the heels in time) and would have to go to this house in a nice formal dress and pink fuzzy slippers. The rho gammas just told her it was a conversation starter.

At my friends school its the same deal (rush is 2nd semester, its cold, people wear uggs in between houses). Well she had finished up at her party and came outside to put on her uggs when lo and behold, someone pooped in her uggs! I still cant fathom how it could have happened