GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

UGAalum94 02-28-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWTXBelle (Post 1609632)
Slightly off-topic - When I was teaching high school, I wouldn't let my students say "dork". When one student asked why, I said "Because of what it means." We went back and forth, with me trying to be somewhat coy, but finally I just said "Penis!Penis!Penis!". The entire CLASS absolutely lost it, and I am afraid it is one of their favorite memories of their senior year.

One of my colleagues told a story at lunch last week about how a student years ago signed her yearbook, "Dear Mrs. Smith, you taught me that penis wasn't a bad word." In that case, it all went back to a passing reference to a phallic symbol during class discussion, but I think the kids just never get over it.

When I was a kid, I just thought "dork" meant nerd. My dad told me not to say it. I was curious and begged him to explain why I couldn't say it. He did. It was a little awkward, but I suppose I was glad to know.

I'd have much preferred to have a teacher as fully concerned about usage and propriety to have spared me by providing a little bit of Value Added instruction like you did, SWTXbelle.

SWTXBelle 02-28-2008 10:26 PM

What can I say - I'm an educator. And hey- my former students do not use the word "dork" without realizing what it means. I'm so proud.

lauralaylin 02-29-2008 02:00 PM

Wow, I had no idea. You learn something new every day!

pinklion10 03-06-2008 03:58 PM

I have a funny story from our rush this year.

All of us in the houses had heard of a girl who went into our DG chapter on their first COB party in the fall and said "My mom is a DG. I'm suiciding her." The DG's were like "ok, whatever". As the semester goes on, the PNM kind of gained a reputation for being a little... shall we say, loose. The DGs didn't really like her anyway

Fast forward to Formal Rush. I had no idea who this girl was or what she looked like, but I realized it when I saw a girl with these huge, gawdy anchor earrings and a pink and blue top with some of bronze-ish trim. She pretty much told us she was only interested in DG and even told us she already had gotten her own sailor hat.

Needless to say, every house dropped her after Night 1.

Lucky SC 03-12-2008 03:38 AM

first rush party coming to college i passed out and was taken home and forced to roll over the top of a moving train because the driver wouldn't wait for it to pass. i tried walking home, passed out in a neighberhood and was taken home by a strange woman.

i've been more concious for the most part since the first week of my decisions lol

gee_ess 03-12-2008 09:21 AM

^^^???What???

ChiOwl76 03-12-2008 06:38 PM

so this past fall was my first time recruiting. well it was probably only the second party of first rounds and i'm talking to this girl from somewhere near my home town, we know a lot of the same people and we were really getting along well. so i decided to ask her about her roommate... bad idea right there... the next thing i know she is telling my about how her roommate is some kind of sex freak, nympho, you name it... and telling me about all the sex toys that her roommate has. at this point i was completely shocked that someone would think it was appropriate to discuss this during first rounds. i had no idea how to react so i just said "omg wow... i had a really akward roommate last year too... and completely changed the subject... but seriously. who says that kind of stuff? somehow she got asked back to second rounds... but she managed to share the sex crazed roommate story with more of my sisters and we definately dropped her after that..

LucyKKG 03-12-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiOwl76 (Post 1617054)
so this past fall was my first time recruiting. well it was probably only the second party of first rounds and i'm talking to this girl from somewhere near my home town, we know a lot of the same people and we were really getting along well. so i decided to ask her about her roommate... bad idea right there... the next thing i know she is telling my about how her roommate is some kind of sex freak, nympho, you name it... and telling me about all the sex toys that her roommate has. at this point i was completely shocked that someone would think it was appropriate to discuss this during first rounds. i had no idea how to react so i just said "omg wow... i had a really akward roommate last year too... and completely changed the subject... but seriously. who says that kind of stuff? somehow she got asked back to second rounds... but she managed to share the sex crazed roommate story with more of my sisters and we definately dropped her after that..

Hahahah that's great! How on EARTH do you respond to that without looking appalled? My only roommate was super conservative and ended up going back home.

Benzgirl 03-12-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucyKKG (Post 1617117)
Hahahah that's great! How on EARTH do you respond to that without looking appalled? My only roommate was super conservative and ended up going back home.

I typically play with people who make off the comments, so my responses would be along the line of, "So, how did you decorate your room?".

lilzetakitten 03-17-2008 12:10 AM

Guess I should add mine...

This year, I was a floater and went to talk to a PNM. Her first comment: "Ooh, I love your earrings! Are those real pearls?" She goes on to talk about her love of black pearls, and talked about the strand that her dad recently got her mom. She also talks about her love of diamonds. Then she goes, "Men getting you diamonds is like your consolation prize for getting old." My sister, whom the girl was actually paired with, goes, "Oh, no, they aren't always old! My big is getting married in June, she just graduated in December." PNM: "OMG, that's crazy! I can't believe she'd get married so young!!"

Did I mention that I'm engaged, and was wearing my ring through this entire exchange?

We cut her that night.

Also, we had a girl come through on pref who looked a mixture of pissed, disinterested, and in pain. She completely ignored the sister preffing her the whole time. She ended up going to another sorority... good luck with that one.

fantASTic 03-17-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilzetakitten (Post 1618823)
Guess I should add mine...

This year, I was a floater and went to talk to a PNM. Her first comment: "Ooh, I love your earrings! Are those real pearls?" She goes on to talk about her love of black pearls, and talked about the strand that her dad recently got her mom. She also talks about her love of diamonds. Then she goes, "Men getting you diamonds is like your consolation prize for getting old." My sister, whom the girl was actually paired with, goes, "Oh, no, they aren't always old! My big is getting married in June, she just graduated in December." PNM: "OMG, that's crazy! I can't believe she'd get married so young!!"

Did I mention that I'm engaged, and was wearing my ring through this entire exchange?

We cut her that night.

Hey, maybe she didn't notice the ring. It IS a little odd nowadays to be getting married young..

LainaIsPHIMU 03-17-2008 11:32 AM

My story isn't all that crazy but..
It was my third night of formal recruitment (I was going through). I had been invited back to two chapters. I got dressed all nice, and walked over the the NPC suites where all the chapters are located. I went to the first suite for the first party and all went fine. Afterwards there was a 15 minute break, where we could stand outside under a tent. We then had to like up in alphabetical order and go into the suite at EXACTLY 3:00. it was timed to the tee. Well I was in the first suite, the sky got really nasty looking, so while we were outside we hoped it didn't start raining.
Well it did. It wasn't even a light drizzle. IT WAS POURING. There were three minutes left before we could enter the suites. Nobody had umbrellas.. The Gamma Chi's brought had like 5, and I was not able to fit under the one for my line of girls (about 30 people in line). So I stood out in pouring rain for 3 minutes.
When we were allowed into the suite, I was soaking wet. I was shivering from being cold, and just sat on the couch. They then procceded to give me ONE paper towel to "dry off" with.
It was an interesting party to say the least. Everyone kept coming up to me and apologizing the whole time, and asking if I was alright.
It was just water, but I think it got me noticed, I was invited back for pref night, and got a bid from them, and now I am a Phi Mu.

violetpretty 03-19-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilzetakitten (Post 1618823)
Guess I should add mine...

This year, I was a floater and went to talk to a PNM. Her first comment: "Ooh, I love your earrings! Are those real pearls?" She goes on to talk about her love of black pearls, and talked about the strand that her dad recently got her mom. She also talks about her love of diamonds. Then she goes, "Men getting you diamonds is like your consolation prize for getting old." My sister, whom the girl was actually paired with, goes, "Oh, no, they aren't always old! My big is getting married in June, she just graduated in December." PNM: "OMG, that's crazy! I can't believe she'd get married so young!!"

Did I mention that I'm engaged, and was wearing my ring through this entire exchange?

We cut her that night.

I'd be more turned off by her talk about pearls and diamonds.

Given that this is a PNM, presumably a freshman, it probably sounded weird to her because she just finished high school; marriage sounds so far away to her.

It also depends on the region of the country, too. My little, who is the same age as me (graduated in May 07), got engaged in the fall of our junior year (September 05), but she's not getting married until June 09, so she will be 24. Based on hearing stories about her friends from home (Cincinnati), she's right on par or maybe a little late.

carnation 06-24-2008 11:11 AM

Let's hear more of these! Recruitment starts the second week of August, let's get fired up for it!

Phine 06-24-2008 11:39 AM

I have one that is a little more serious but still a weird story from recruitment...
My chapter is new on campus and we don't have a house in the Greek Village with the other sororities yet, so we used a room in dorm nearby for recruitment. The room was really hot on pref night. We were in the middle of the ceremony when all of a sudden one of the PNMs started to stagger around. No one had any idea what she was doing. She actually fainted because of nerves and heat. It was a pretty scary moment but she ended up to be okay. Now, we figure if we survived that incident during our first formal, we can make it through anything.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.