GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   News & Politics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   Severe Weather Janurary 2013 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132059)

ZetaPhi708 01-29-2013 10:39 PM

Severe Weather Janurary 2013

Hope everyone stays safe tonight.

www.weather.com

maconmagnolia 01-29-2013 10:40 PM

It was 60 degrees and storming today in Columbia, and tomorrow it's supposed to be in the thirties. Midwest weather...

AGDee 01-30-2013 06:15 AM

Ditto. It's going up to 62 this morning and then the temperatures are dropping to 20 tonight. Crazy.

TonyB06 01-30-2013 09:40 AM

As long as we don't get large snow accumulations, I'm cool.

groovypq 01-30-2013 11:34 AM

OK, so the temperature extremes aren't just here in NEPA. :-)

Seriously, listening to the weather forecast this morning was so bizarre. Rain, wind, maybe thunderstorms, high of 60 today... then 36 and snow tomorrow, 28 and snow Friday?! This after near-zero temps late last week? SO strange.

Cheerio 01-30-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovypq (Post 2200685)
OK, so the temperature extremes aren't just here in NEPA. :-)

Seriously, listening to the weather forecast this morning was so bizarre. Rain, wind, maybe thunderstorms, high of 60 today... then 36 and snow tomorrow, 28 and snow Friday?! This after near-zero temps late last week? SO strange.

Please keep watch for freezing/leaking/bursting home pipes and leaf blocks/ice forming in outdoor drainpipes, especially in your Greek campus homes.

Help your neighbors (and yourself) by clearing street drains of debris.

And on windy garbage pickup days, refuse can blow down the street and block water drains.

Thank You :)

AGDLynn 01-30-2013 02:26 PM

One of my chapter sisters was on the highway and had slowed down to answer her phone call from her dad.

If she had been going faster, she would have gotten tornado damage!:eek:

PhiAlpha05 01-31-2013 05:47 PM

Seriously--I was woken up by tornado sirens at 1 AM yesterday (in freakin' January) after it had been in the 60s all day. I thought I'd be spending the evening in my bathtub, but other than a lot of rain and some wind, we didn't really get hit (but supposedly they had a touchdown just south of me). It's now in the 20s and snowing. ffffffffffffffff

maconmagnolia 01-31-2013 06:20 PM

Twenty degrees while walking to class today. That's a new level of cold.

AGDee 01-31-2013 09:43 PM

There was a 20+ car/truck accident today on I-75 in Southwest Detroit. Two children and one adult were killed and 20 others were taken to hospitals for treatment. The freeway was shut down for hours. A big snow squall just blew in causing white out conditions and then was gone. Weather was like that all day. We went from almost 60 degrees to 20. This weather is crazy.

PM_Mama00 02-03-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2201055)
There was a 20+ car/truck accident today on I-75 in Southwest Detroit. Two children and one adult were killed and 20 others were taken to hospitals for treatment. The freeway was shut down for hours. A big snow squall just blew in causing white out conditions and then was gone. Weather was like that all day. We went from almost 60 degrees to 20. This weather is crazy.

It ended up being 30+ cars and the mother of the children passed away in the hospital. So sad :( I can't believe we travel that every day. Could've been us. Tomorrow morning is bringing more crappy weather.

AGDee 02-03-2013 10:52 PM

I hadn't heard about the mom...can't find anything on the news sites about it. Be careful tomorrow though. We're under a winter weather advisory for 6 am- 2 pm. I'd much rather have a repeat of the winter of 2012.

ZetaPhi708 02-08-2013 07:56 PM

Another bad weather alert...as we all already know, Winter Storm Nemo is hitting the New England area hardcore. To all Greeks and their families, stay safe everyone and keep watch on each other.

alum 03-06-2013 10:14 AM

Snowquestration

Typical overreaction in the DC area considering the amount of snow that is falling. Once again, everything is shut down. I'm not complaining as I am enjoying the midweek holiday. Our director made the decision to close yesterday by early afternoon well before ANY cancellations were made from any entity. He's from MN, surely he can handle the snow!

IUHoosiergirl88 03-06-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alum (Post 2206723)
Typical overreaction in the DC area considering the amount of snow that is falling. Once again, everything is shut down. I'm not complaining as I am enjoying the midweek holiday.

My agency made the call at 4 am, I think because at that time they were still in ZOMG WE'RE GOING TO GET BURIED mode. We haven't even gotten an inch, this is pathetic. I'm from Chicago, so I'm still not used to this 'lava is falling from the sky' mentality here in the District/MD/NoVA