GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   A Magical Recruitment at Mizzou '12 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=128575)

Monkey19 07-31-2012 01:23 AM

A Magical Recruitment at Mizzou '12

I know that there are already a decent about of Harry Potter themed recruitment stories but I’m somewhat obsessed so I decided to use the places in HP to represent the sororities at MU.

I am a first generation college student and definitely the first one in my family to go through recruitment and I am incredibly nervous yet excited for this new experience. It was until late June that I realized that joining a sorority was something I wanted to do. I seriously cannot remember meeting anyone in a NPC sorority until I started working at my summer job and met some nice ladies who are currently/alumnae members of sororities.

There are fourteen sororities at Mizzou plus one that will be colonizing this year (Sigma Kappa)

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
(I heard that they will be in the open house round but I’m not sure if they will have formal or informal rush. Does anyone know?)
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Tau Alpha

Azkaban - What I like about this sorority is that it looks to be the most diverse one on campus. A girl that went to high school and played soccer with me is in this one at the college I’ll be attending and I remember her being a kind of shy girl but sweet girl.

The Burrow - A girl I worked with is an this sorority at another school. She’s answered a lot of my questions on Greek Life. She always wore her letters and different shirts her sorority had and just loved her sorority. However, I don’t really know anything about the chapter at my school.

Eeylops Owl Emporium - Don’t know too much about it. In not-so-important news, when I checked out their blog, I looked at their officers sections and I was surprised to see that there were dozens of members as officers and appointed positions. They must be extremely organized, I can only imagine what it’s going to be like during the Open House Round. Hah

Flourish & Blotts - This is the sorority I know least about.

Grimmauld Place - I really like this sorority’s philanthropy (and theirs colors and symbols haha) and pretty much everything I’ve heard about it. I haven’t met anyone personally that is in this sorority. Also, I’ve heard it referred to as the “nerd sorority” on campus...Oh, and I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not but just yesterday a girl that I never talked to before, “friended” me on facebook that is from this sorority. Curious..

Knockturn Alley - I met a woman at my job that was in this sorority at Mizzou only she transferred schools and the school didn’t have this chapter. We talked a bit and she seemed to really like her time in the sorority but I don’t really know much about it.

The Leaky Cauldron - It is because of a girl in this sorority that I am rushing. Before I started working at my summer job, I honestly did not think being in a sorority was for me but after talking to her I gained a new insight to Greek Life. And oh my goodness, I LOVE their philanthropy (is this an unusual reason to really like a sorority?)! Also, one of the women at my job was in this sorority of U of Arkansas and she wrote me a personal reference letter! Even though, I am very much going into rush week with an open mind, this is by far the sorority that I would, at this moment in time, love to be in.

Madam Puddifoot’s - I don’t know know much about this sorority but sometimes when I tell someone where I’ll be attending, they’ll tell me that this is a top tier and a lot of smart girls are in this one. Hmmm.

Ministry of Magic - Love their philanthropy! Don’t know much else about it.

Ollivanders - I met a girl from this sorority that goes to Mizzou. This was when I wasn’t 100% sure about rushing and she eased a lot of my nerves and told me that she was going to be one of the Pi Chi’s (Recruitment Counselor). She didn’t actually tell me anything about this sorority so I don’t know a whole lot but I like what I’ve seen on their site.

Shrieking Shack - This was the first sorority that I can remember looking at, a year or so ago, and thinking, “Wow, if I were to be in a sorority, I’d wanna be in this one,” because of their philanthropy and I thought they had a cool name haha. I don’t really know much about it.

Spinner’s End - Same as Ministry of Magic.

The Three Broomsticks - Shortly after I decided I wanted to rush, I met two girls, who were in this sorority at the college I’m rushing at. What really stood out to me was the fact that they became best friends because of the sorority and were so close that they visited each other in homes in different cities. I want this type of sisterhood.

Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes - Same as The Burrow.

Zonko’s Joke House - I really don’t know anything about this sorority.

Based on preconceived notions on the sororities, this is roughly the order of how I like them. Of course, I don’t plan on going in with this mindset! I just think it would be interesting to see how it compares to the actual recruitment.

1. The Leaky Cauldron
2. Grimmauld Place
3. Madam Puddifoot’s
4. Ollivanders
5. Spinner’s End
6. Azkaban
7. The Three Broomsticks
8. Eeylops Owl Emporium
9. The Burrow
10. Knockturn Alley
11. Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes
12. Ministry of Magic
13. Zonko’s Joke House
14. Shrieking Shack
15. Flourish & Blotts

Because no one close to me has ever rushed, I was pretty clueless about everything and didn’t know I needed recs until I came on GC. I have a rec for The Leaky Cauldron and I contacted a local NPC advisor to help me get recs since I know virtually no one to write me one and she is an alumnae of Knockturn Alley and she said she would write me one. I don’t know if the other recs came through so I am bit worried.

12 more days. Oh My Goodness. This is madness!!

caylaashley 07-31-2012 03:13 AM

Yay! I love harry potter! Good luck! Personally i like Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.....just because I loved Fred and George(:

ASUADPi 07-31-2012 03:41 PM

I may be in the minority but I think it would be cool to see how your opinions change once recruitment starts and you actually meet the sisters.

But with that being said....don't let those preconceived notions be the deciding factors for you. Go in with an open mind. Ignore the tent talk (harder to say than to do). Follow your heart. Most importantly remember that you are only meeting a handful of the sisters.

Austen16 07-31-2012 05:45 PM

How exciting! I'm also going through rush at Mizzou. I'm rooting for The Three Broomsticks, so good luck! Have you gotten your recruitment packet in the mail yet?

Monkey19 07-31-2012 06:49 PM

cayla - Fred and George are seriously amazing. Gahhhh. Fred <33

ASUADPi - I am looking forward to seeing how vastly different my view of all the sororities changes once I start the rush process. Good advice. No need to worry, I will definitely go in with an open mind. I'm going to stay out of tent talk. Will we even have a lot of time to talk to the girls in our group?

Austen - You are? That's awesome! So glad to see someone on here that is going through rush at Mizzou. And no, I haven't received it yet. I'm hoping it will come in the mail tomorrow.

SigKapQueen 08-02-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey19 (Post 2162987)
Sigma Kappa(I heard that they will be in the open house round but I’m not sure if they will have formal or informal rush. Does anyone know?)

I posted in the other thread but since you asked:)
Sigma Kappa's Colonization at Mizzou will be after formal recruitment. Our schedule of recruitment events is as follows:

Information Nights
Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 7 p.m.in the Memorial Union N103, Stotler Lounge
Tuesday, Aug. 28 at 7 p.m. in the Memorial Union S107, Jesse Wrench Auditorium
Thursday, Sept. 6 at 7 p.m. in the Student Center 2501, Chamber Auditorium*

Colonization Events
Sisterhood Night: Spirit Day with Sigma K
Monday, Sept. 10 at 7 p.m.
Memorial Union N103, Stotler Lounge *

Philanthropy Night: Love Purple. Live Green.
Wednesday, Sept. 12 at 7:30 p.m.
The Upper Crust (off-campus), 904 Elm Street

Preference Event: Sigma Kappa from the Heart
Thursday, Sept. at 7 p.m.
By invitation only

More information can be found on www.LoveSigmaKappa.com. For the most up-to-date details, follow us on twitter @MizzouSigmaK

Enjoy your recruitment experience!!!!

Monkey19 08-02-2012 09:57 PM

Thanks for all the info SigKapQueen! It's awesome that MU is getting a new chapter.

I also just got my recruitment guide in the mail today and found out that yes, Sigma Kappa will be in the open house round. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're about. :)

aab225 08-11-2012 06:32 PM

I'm terribly jealous of all the houses at Mizzou. GORGEOUS! Especially that DG house. Makes me wanna cry a little bit. Best of luck to you! Can't wait to hear where you end up!

Lovemybulldog 08-12-2012 10:10 AM

Good luck to you! Can't wait to read your updates!

Monkey19 08-12-2012 11:39 PM

aab225 - I am terribly excited to see the all the houses tomorrow. I actually have never even driven past Greek Town! :O Should be interesting.

Lovemybulldog - Thanks. Glad you're interested. I actually have decided not to make this a live thread because I'm actually paranoid. But I will be typing out my thoughts after each day! :)

DubaiSis 08-13-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey19 (Post 2163116)
I'm going to stay out of tent talk. Will we even have a lot of time to talk to the girls in our group?

Yes, there's lots of time to talk as you stand outside each house, moving between them and once you're back in the dorms. And there will be several girls who know FOR sure that ABC house is literally prostitutes and DEF will literally make you drink an entire bottle of vodka in order to initiate. And they know this for sure because her sister's roommate was one. It can get VERY difficult to turn this kind of chatter off, because she MUST know what she's talking about, right? When someone has something like to this to say, try to apply a BS test to this. Could what they're saying seriously be true without having school, sorority headquarters or the law getting involved? Harder is when you like a chapter (or at least find them not so bad) and 20 girls are all standing there badmouthing it. You don't know their reasons for what they're saying (insecurity, wanting to sound like she knows everything, her sister used to be one and got kicked out) but it's pretty easy to feel like you are not cool if you don't agree.

Although you will have a better connection with some chapters than with others, do try to keep in mind that the similarities far outweigh the differences and anything too far-fetched is almost assuredly untrue.

gee_ess 08-13-2012 08:21 AM

^^^^^ Great post! And so true!

tigerfanx5 08-20-2012 04:12 PM

Please come back!!! Tell us your story!

Monkey19 08-29-2012 01:53 AM

Hey everyone - So, recruitment was just a freakin' mess. I never thought I'd be one of those girls crying to her Pi Chi but I was.

And I've decided that I will still be telling my story. I have it pretty much written out but I'm terribly busy but I should have everything posted on here within the next two weeks, probably sooner. :)

IrishLake 08-29-2012 06:29 AM

Looking forward to hearing your story, and I hope it has a happy ending!