GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Do you have a phobia? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248411)

Phrozen Sands 05-19-2023 11:56 PM

Do you have a phobia?

Do you have a phobia?

I have a crazy, extreme fear of heights. Acrophobia.

carnation 05-20-2023 08:25 AM

Snakes that are within striking distance. I can watch them if they're slithering away or being securely held or behind glass but I got bitten once, so I hate them.

I also hate lightning because I got hit by lightning the same summer.

*winter* 05-20-2023 12:20 PM

Poisonous snakes!!! I did trail hiking all winter but now that they’re out there slithering around…NO.

People are always like, just stay away from them. But what if I come up behind one unexpectedly- I don’t see it until the last minute and then it strikes me? In the middle of nowhere with only SOS phone service?

Nooooooo

Phrozen Sands 05-20-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2495138)
Snakes that are within striking distance. I can watch them if they're slithering away or being securely held or behind glass but I got bitten once, so I hate them.

I also hate lightning because I got hit by lightning the same summer.

Wow! That’s wild! That’s pure bad luck right there. That summer was not on your side.

carnation 05-20-2023 02:43 PM

Yeah-about the lightning, I was struck while sitting in my car. People will say you can't get hit while in a car but we found that there's a type of lightning called ball lightning that can go through glass, and did it ever. I heard this crash and there was a flash of bluish silver in the car.

What a 16th summer that was.

Phrozen Sands 05-20-2023 06:29 PM

What’s that like being struck by lightning? I’m just curious to know what it feels like.

PrettyBoy 05-20-2023 06:41 PM

Arachnophobia and whatever word is the fear of insects. I’ll use a whole can of bug spray on one bug, centipede, spider, etc. I freaked out when I found out I had a wood tick in the back of my head. I seriously cannot do it. Nope. Can’t do bugs. I’m not afraid of anything else.

carnation 05-20-2023 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands (Post 2495145)
What’s that like being struck by lightning? I’m just curious to know what it feels like.

All I remember is the flash of bluish silver and a huge slam against the back of my seat, which threw me forward. If I got an electrical charge, I can't remember it, although the cop told me that the rubber tires might have blocked that. He must've seen it before.

Phrozen Sands 05-20-2023 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyBoy (Post 2495146)
Arachnophobia and whatever word is the fear of insects. I’ll use a whole can of bug spray on one bug, centipede, spider, etc. I freaked out when I found out I had a wood tick in the back of my head. I seriously cannot do it. Nope. Can’t do bugs. I’m not afraid of anything else.

Lmao! Have you been bitten or stung in the past or something? You have entomophobia according to google. What happened with the tick situation? How’d you know it was a tick back there if you couldn’t see it? What about harmless insects like a grasshopper or cricket? You scared of those too? Lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2495148)
All I remember is the flash of bluish silver and a huge slam against the back of my seat, which threw me forward. If I got an electrical charge, I can't remember it, although the cop told me that the rubber tires might have blocked that. He must've seen it before.

That’s interesting then. I’m saying that because when I was a center manager in an actual store of ours, one of my customers wanted me to make copies of original pictures of his surgery scar from a lightening strike. Like you, he said he didn’t remember being struck either. He said he just remembered walking across a field, and then waking up in a hospital bed. In the pictures, where it struck him was a small wound, but on the opposite side of that wound, it was a large wound as if it went through him and out the other side. He had multiple surgeries and “graphs” done. That’s insane.

PGD-GRAD 05-20-2023 08:03 PM

HEIGHTS and SNAKES—period. I could never live above the 6th or 7th floor in high-rise. And snakes—just NO! I’ve tried; I even touched a huge boa once, but I had to grit my teeth doing it. The way they move…just freaks me out!

PrettyBoy 05-20-2023 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands (Post 2495149)
Lmao! Have you been bitten or stung in the past or something? You have entomophobia according to google. What happened with the tick situation? How’d you know it was a tick back there if you couldn’t see it? What about harmless insects like a grasshopper or cricket? You scared of those too? Lol .

Anything, unless it’s a mosquito or a fly or something like that. I can’t get past their legs man, and the fact that they like to hide. Or if it’s a large flying insect where it doesn’t buzz but makes a clacking sound and can barely hold itself up in flight. Anything louder than a fly.. Deuces… I’m out.

With the wood tick, we went hiking/camping and when we got back home, in the left lower part of my neck and head, I kept scratching a bump that I thought was a mosquito bite. I went to sleep with it back there and woke up and went to work with it back there, thinking it was a mosquito bite. It just kept itching. My wife saw that I kept scratching it and wanted to look at it. When she said that’s not a mosquito bite but a wood tick, I freaked. She pulled it out and it left a small hole that later healed. See what I’m saying? A hole? That’s crazy. Other than that situation, I’ve never been stung or bitten, I just don’t like them. I don’t know where the phobia came from.

My wife has one of these.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Z65Zvh4Xvy4?feature=share

I told her if it gets out, and she can’t find it, I’ll either sleep in the car or set the house on fire. LOL

carnation 05-20-2023 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD (Post 2495150)
HEIGHTS and SNAKES—period. I could never live above the 6th or 7th floor in high-rise. And snakes—just NO! I’ve tried; I even touched a huge boa once, but I had to grit my teeth doing it. The way they move…just freaks me out!

Ewww, they move like skinks--which I also hate. Nasty pendejos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands (Post 2495149)
That’s interesting then. I’m saying that because when I was a center manager in an actual store of ours, one of my customers wanted me to make copies of original pictures of his surgery scar from a lightening strike. Like you, he said he didn’t remember being struck either. He said he just remembered walking across a field, and then waking up in a hospital bed. In the pictures, where it struck him was a small wound, but on the opposite side of that wound, it was a large wound as if it went through him and out the other side. He had multiple surgeries and “graphs” done. That’s insane.

You know...that ball lightning came through the back windshield making a small hole and blasted big time through the front windshield. When it was over, I looked around at the back and lines were running out from the small hole. Then the whole back windshield fell in.

SquirrelyDays 05-20-2023 09:44 PM

Driving in a parking garage.

cheerfulgreek 05-20-2023 09:52 PM

Bridges — especially when I’m stopped in traffic on one. Sometimes I can feel them shudder or vibrate a little. That’s very creepy, to me.

Phrozen Sands 05-20-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD (Post 2495150)

Preach! That sounds about right with me too. Once I get to a certain height on a high-rise, it’s a wrap for me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyBoy (Post 2495151)
Anything, unless it’s a mosquito or a fly or something like that. I can’t get past their legs man, and the fact that they like to hide. Or if it’s a large flying insect where it doesn’t buzz but makes a clacking sound and can barely hold itself up in flight. Anything louder than a fly.. Deuces… I’m out.

With the wood tick, we went hiking/camping and when we got back home, in the left lower part of my neck and head, I kept scratching a bump that I thought was a mosquito bite. I went to sleep with it back there and woke up and went to work with it back there, thinking it was a mosquito bite. It just kept itching. My wife saw that I kept scratching it and wanted to look at it. When she said that’s not a mosquito bite but a wood tick, I freaked. She pulled it out and it left a small hole that later healed. See what I’m saying? A hole? That’s crazy. Other than that situation, I’ve never been stung or bitten, I just don’t like them. I don’t know where the phobia came from.

My wife has one of these.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Z65Zvh4Xvy4?feature=share

I told her if it gets out, and she can’t find it, I’ll either sleep in the car or set the house on fire. LOL

Lmfao!

Dude! Fuuuuuuuck that @ your wife’s giant scorpion. I feel you there. Hayle to the naw. I hope she doesn’t pick that thing up like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2495152)
You know...that ball lightning came through the back windshield making a small hole and blasted big time through the front windshield. When it was over, I looked around at the back and lines were running out from the small hole. Then the whole back windshield fell in.

Wow! Your description and my customer’s are exact. I don’t know how true it is, but based on my conversation with him, he’s read that lightening strikes can depend on a person’s chemical makeup too. I’m not sure if that’s based on factual information though.