GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Indiana University Recruitment 2020 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246778)

pinkmama 01-22-2020 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2472995)
No, I hold that opinion because I think PNMs should know if they have, in effect, been “cut.” If they know ABC is holding one event on February 1 and they haven’t gotten an invite, they can stop saying “well maybe ABC will have some more events and I’ll get invited then.” It would be one thing if this was a few days, but the time frame is until MARCH. You know there are going to be girls who keep holding out hope that never comes. It would be a lot more considerate to let them know that chance has come and gone. During formal rush, they know if ABC cuts them they should look elsewhere for a Greek affiliation. Why can the women participating in COB not be given that same consideration?

And no, why on earth would you say what time? As far as “protesting that type of event” - WHAT? Couldn’t that happen ANY day during rush?

All they have to say is:
ABC - invite only, Feb 1 and 3
DEF - invite only, Jan 24
Please bring your student ID so you can be verified on the sorority’s invitation list. Women who are not on the list will not be admitted.

Panhellenic should either be transparent or just stay out of COB completely.


Totally agree because girls may give up a call for an opportunity because they are holding out for a possible better opportunity that may never ever come because
It was invite only meaning they don’t need or want a lot more and it’s selective (pretty much know who they want already ). The invite only is just a formality they are required to register as “informal”

clayton117 01-22-2020 08:29 PM

AEPhi took 58 girls. Made quota.

carnation 01-23-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2472995)
Please bring your student ID so you can be verified on the sorority’s invitation list. Women who are not on the list will not be admitted.

:eek: Oh dear. I'm thinking about bad scenes at the front door from the non-invited.

33girl 01-23-2020 09:31 AM

I’m guessing that sort of thing can happen even if nothing is publicized. Word travels fast. And again...I’m sure that happens frequently during formal rush (guess I should bump the weird stories thread).

honeychile 01-23-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2473027)
I’m guessing that sort of thing can happen even if nothing is publicized. Word travels fast. And again...I’m sure that happens frequently during formal rush (guess I should bump the weird stories thread).

Even back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was an active, we had more than one occasion when we'd invite a certain woman for an event, and she'd show up with a friend or two. The wording has to be VERY clear!

2023txmom 01-23-2020 10:56 AM

Feedback requested!
 
Hi All,
What a wonderful tool this is. By reading your comments it is obvious that some of you have tons of experience!
I have a PMN that just competed rush at IU. She did not get the result that she was hoping for, and has signed up for informal.
She is OOS and I am wondering if you think this played a key roll in her not finding a home.
I know there are many other factors involved, so if you need more information, please let me know.
The community we live in has a very active Panhellenic Board. I want to provide them with feedback as to "if or what" they can do differently to help OOS PMN's in the future. My daughter is not the only PMN that did not receive the outcome that was hoped for.
Thank You!

carnation 01-23-2020 11:02 AM

There's really nothing that Panhellenic can do for any OOS girls. The girls themselves must get on the sororities' radar early on and try to meet as many sorority members as they can. This applies at any college.

2023txmom 01-23-2020 11:09 AM

The feedback she received was to keep on the "low" not attend parties,etc. She did participate in their annual dance-a-thon and met a few girls there.
The question is more geared as to advice Panhellenic can give to OOS girls.

carnation 01-23-2020 11:20 AM

See, it's kind of like recruitment at any competitive school. Hundreds of in-state girls have been on the sororities' radar for years, the girls they grew up with/went to school with, etc. Somehow, out-of-staters have to gain their attention (positively).

IndianaSigKap 01-23-2020 11:24 AM

There are many OOS girls at IU and in the Greek system. While that may have made it more difficult in the sense that your daughter did not have girls from her hometown pulling for her in a particular chapter, it also helped her in the sense that no one had any preconceived ideas of her either.

I am glad to hear she has signed up for informal. Can she contact any of the girls from IUDM and let them know she is interested in informal? Even as new members, they could put in a good word for her or put her on the recruitment team's radar.

2023txmom 01-23-2020 11:41 AM

May I what IUDM is?

carnation 01-23-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2473028)
Even back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was an active, we had more than one occasion when we'd invite a certain woman for an event, and she'd show up with a friend or two.

:eek::eek::eek:

ASTalumna06 01-23-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2023txmom (Post 2473031)
Hi All,
What a wonderful tool this is. By reading your comments it is obvious that some of you have tons of experience!
I have a PMN that just competed rush at IU. She did not get the result that she was hoping for, and has signed up for informal.
She is OOS and I am wondering if you think this played a key roll in her not finding a home.
I know there are many other factors involved, so if you need more information, please let me know.
The community we live in has a very active Panhellenic Board. I want to provide them with feedback as to "if or what" they can do differently to help OOS PMN's in the future. My daughter is not the only PMN that did not receive the outcome that was hoped for.
Thank You!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2023txmom (Post 2473033)
The feedback she received was to keep on the "low" not attend parties,etc. She did participate in their annual dance-a-thon and met a few girls there.
The question is more geared as to advice Panhellenic can give to OOS girls.

Panhellenic provides the same information to in-state women as they do to those from out-of-state. They are essentially a neutral party. All potential members essentially have the same chance to join a chapter. Being in-state can help you or can hurt you. The same goes for out-of-state. There are no special rules or tips for out-of-state women. Prepare to dress well, look presentable, have recs in ahead of formal recruitment, and practice conversation skills. This, in a nutshell, is what all potential members can do to get ready for recruitment.

Your daughter didn't receive the outcome she wanted, and that goes for a lot of other women too - both in-state and out-of-state. Stop asking the 'why' and help your daughter get ready for informal recruitment. Because you could give us all of the information in the world on your daughter, and no one here will be able to tell you why she didn't receive a bid. Or maybe she did receive invites back, but she turned them down? Either way, what's done is done. There's no way to know if her being out-of-state hurt her chances.

I will say, though, that it seems joining as an out-of-stater has become an easier task overall, as so many students are now going outside of their home state (or country!) to attend school. The same can be said for legacies. While being a legacy certainly helps with a particular chapter, there are now so many legacies going through recruitment that chapters simply can't take them all.

Anyway, as the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared. That's all any potential member can do. There's no way to change your daughter's out-of-state status, so doing all the research, looking presentable, and having good conversations is what's going to propel her forward in this process.

Good luck to her!

2023txmom 01-23-2020 11:54 AM

I am not sure how informal works and I'm sorry to say reading the comments in my "no experience" mind did not provide clarification.
I don't want my daughter to get her hopes up, but also want to support her the best way I can!

My DD is gorgeous (like everyone's DD)
She finished 1st semester with a 3.86
We have lived internationally for 8 years and have been in TX for 5.
She was a competitive gymnast training 30 hours a week 9level 10 USAG) until her senior year
Graduated top 6% of her class in a class of 1078
She had a great rush and truly enjoyed the majority of it!
22 to 16 matches to 8 matches to one pref invite.
She received notes from 2 of her favorite houses during the parties. They were very personalized to her conversations with her "interviewer"
She did not get invites to pref from either of those houses. She did go to the house that extended her an invite, but did not feel right taking someone else's spot as she did not feel the connection there and dropped.

ForrestGrump 01-23-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue2 (Post 2472965)
Does anyone have numbers for Chi O, TPA, ASA and DPhiE?

As has already been mentioned, Chi O got 59 (56+3). TPA was just shy of quota with 52. DPhiE took 32. Still haven't seen confirmation regarding ASA, but there are reports that they took fewer than 10 new members. Part of the issue may be that ASA is typically the only unhoused chapter on campus, but this year they had to complete with TPA for the women who would prefer not living in a house.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.