GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How does formal recruitment work in a sorority? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=117194)

greamsmith 12-03-2010 06:22 AM

How does formal recruitment work in a sorority?

I want to join a sorority but I am really nervous because I am shy and I want to be accepted. I know which sorority I am interested in and everything. Does everybody get invited to join or are they very selective? And is it also okay to go to recruitment events yourself because none of my friends want to join and go with me.

Titchou 12-03-2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greamsmith (Post 2008447)
I want to join a sorority but I am really nervous because I am shy and I want to be accepted. I know which sorority I am interested in and everything. Does everybody get invited to join or are they very selective? And is it also okay to go to recruitment events yourself because none of my friends want to join and go with me.

QFP.

Oh dear! Since you said "formal recruitment" I am going to assume you are taking about NPC sororities and not NPHC. Therefore, you would need to sign up with your Greek Life office for formal recruitment. There will be a set schedule where on Day 1 you go to all chapters. After that, you would need to be invited. And ONLY women signed up can attend so it matters not whether your friends are interested. You also need to check with your Greek Life office about whether or not recs are required on your campus.

ASTalumna06 12-03-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

I want to join a sorority but I am really nervous because I am shy and I want to be accepted. I know which sorority I am interested in and everything. Does everybody get invited to join or are they very selective? And is it also okay to go to recruitment events yourself because none of my friends want to join and go with me..

1) If you're interested in joining a sorority, don't worry about what your friends want, or don't want to do. If YOU want to join a sorority, look into making it happen.

2) Not everyone gets invited. Membership selection is private, and no one here will be able to tell you specific reasons why particular girls might not receive bids (invitations for membership). However, more general ones include, but are not limited to: low grades, poor conversation skills, didn't stand out during recruitment, was rude to the sisters, doesn't click with the chapter, has a bad reputation, etc. Some of these things might be more important than others depending on the school you go to and how competitive recruitment is.

3) Assuming that this is NPC recruitment, you don't want to get your heart set on one sorority.. keep an open mind! As Tichou said, during formal recruitment, you will meet with all of the sororities. It is their choice just as much as it is yours. As we all love to say.. it's a mutual selection process.

I would highly suggest you go to your Greek Life office ASAP and ask for all of the information they can possibly give you. Say you're clueless.. I'm sure they'll be more than helpful. Formal recruitment is different on every campus, so it's best to find out how it works on yours.

Also.. search this board. Look through the Sorority Recruitment forum.. there's a wealth of knowledge there. I would also suggest reading some of the recruitment stories within that forum - they will give you an idea of how many different types of formal recruitment there are, depending on the school, the number of chapters, and the number of potential members going through the recruitment process.

AOII Angel 12-03-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2008451)
1) If you're interested in joining a sorority, don't worry about what your friends want, or don't want to do. If YOU want to join a sorority, look into making it happen.

2) Not everyone gets invited. Membership selection is private, and no one here will be able to tell you specific reasons why particular girls might not receive bids (invitations for membership). However, more general ones include, but are not limited to: low grades, poor conversation skills, didn't stand out during recruitment, was rude to the sisters, doesn't click with the chapter, has a bad reputation, etc. Some of these things might be more important than others depending on the school you go to and how competitive recruitment is.

3) Assuming that this is NPC recruitment, you don't want to get your heart set on one sorority.. keep an open mind! As Tichou said, during formal recruitment, you will meet with all of the sororities. It is their choice just as much as it is yours. As we all love to say.. it's a mutual selection process.

I would highly suggest you go to your Greek Life office ASAP and ask for all of the information they can possibly give you. Say you're clueless.. I'm sure they'll be more than helpful. Formal recruitment is different on every campus, so it's best to find out how it works on yours.

Also.. search this board. Look through the Sorority Recruitment forum.. there's a wealth of knowledge there. I would also suggest reading some of the recruitment stories within that forum - they will give you an idea of how many different types of formal recruitment there are, depending on the school, the number of chapters, and the number of potential members going through the recruitment process.

Quoted for emphasis!

Pirouette 12-03-2010 02:39 PM

Based on her wording, this story instantly popped in my head. Not all schools have a structure for their "formal" recruitment.
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...highlight=Hope

As for level of competitiveness, it varies from school to school and also from year to year. No one can tell you your chances of getting a bid.

KSUViolet06 12-03-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

General advice [it's long but answers most questions]:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

No one is guaranteed a bid. Most women who participate in recruitment and make it to Pref/rank all of their choices will get a bid somewhere. There are some girls who get cut along the way though.

Also, there are plenty of girls going through recruitment don't have friends doing it with them.