GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Kappa Kappa Gamma (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   "Sweet Home Kappa Gamma" (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=113888)

Kappagirl21 05-25-2010 12:30 AM

"Sweet Home Kappa Gamma"

I was wondering if you might have any decoration ideas for Sweet Home Kappa Gamma. I am looking for a Southern Hospitality atmosphere rather than western. I was thinking sunflowers and cowboy boots. PLEASE HELP

Thanks!

RahRahforKKG 12-29-2010 11:11 PM

We did a Sweet Home Kappa Gamma theme at rush this year! It might have crossed a little towards western, but here's what we did: We made navy t-shirts that have crossed horseshoes on the front and "sweet home kappa gamma" written in rope on the back. The girls also wore denim skirts, cowboy boots, and their hair in braids with bandana ties. For decorations, we had white picket fences, little metal lunch pails with sunflowers in them, bandana table cloths, bales of hay, and red, navy and cow print balloons. For food, we served lemonade, sweet tea, mini brownies and chocolate chip cookies.
Hope that helps!

AOII Angel 12-30-2010 09:56 AM

Pardon the intrusion, ladies....

Just wanted to point out that though the theme described by RahRah sounds really cute, cowboy boots are pretty expensive and may be a hardship for your chapter if you members don't just already own them. Otherwise...precious!

sky&sea 12-30-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2015606)
Pardon the intrusion, ladies....

Just wanted to point out that though the theme described by RahRah sounds really cute, cowboy boots are pretty expensive and may be a hardship for your chapter if you members don't just already own them. Otherwise...precious!

I agree - a good substitution would be dark skinny jeans and brown or black flats. Much cheaper than buying cowboy boots, and almost everyone already has these items.

MysticCat 12-30-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kappagirl21 (Post 1934027)
I was wondering if you might have any decoration ideas for Sweet Home Kappa Gamma. I am looking for a Southern Hospitality atmosphere rather than western. I was thinking sunflowers and cowboy boots.

I'm lane swerving too. (And I also know that the OP posted her question in May, so it may be too late for her.)

Am I reading this right, or is there a typo? The OP says she's "looking for a Southern Hospitality atmosphere rather than westen," but then says she's "thinking sunflowers and cowboy boots," which scream western rather than Southern.

I don't have much to offer, except that if what someone is interested in is decorations for a "Southern hospitality atmosphere," a pineapple placed at/over the door, on a newel post, on the mantle, as the centerpiece of the table, or in other appropriate places (and usually embellished with greenery -- magnolia leaves work wonderfully) is the symbol par excellence of hospitality in the South.

AlphaFrog 12-30-2010 12:09 PM

^^Right. Also, palm trees, pearls, polo shirts, Lilly Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines, white gloves, floppy sun hats, and anything else you would associate with Afternoon Tea.

MysticCat 12-30-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 2015619)
^^Right. Also, palm trees, pearls, polo shirts, Lilly Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines, white gloves, floppy sun hats, and anything else you would associate with Afternoon Tea.

Palm trees only work in some coastal regions of the South. (And if you're talking about palmetto trees, they're South Carolina-specific.) Elsewhere, they're foreign.

And I have to diss Vineyard Vines as nouveau Southern. :p

Go with seersucker instead. ;)

AlphaFrog 12-30-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 2015633)
Palm trees only work in some coastal regions of the South. (And if you're talking about palmetto trees, they're South Carolina-specific.) Elsewhere, they're foreign.

And I have to diss Vineyard Vines as nouveau Southern. :p

Go with seersucker instead. ;)

I had Southeast in my mind when making my list but either way, for someone who came here (5 months ago, as you pointed out) looking for ideas and thinking cowboys and sunflowers, chances are she's in a region that couldn't tell Lilly from VV. And my daughter has a VV that IS seersucker, so, there's that. :p

MysticCat 12-30-2010 02:20 PM

:p back at you. so there.

But speaking of palmetto, here's a Southern Living arrangement that uses pineapples and palmetto fronds, pampas grass and magnolia leaves:

http://img4.southernliving.com/i/200...-l.jpg?400:400

SWTXBelle 12-30-2010 09:32 PM

Southern Living as inspiration is brilliant -decor to refreshments if you can serve them!

FleurGirl 01-02-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWTXBelle (Post 2015708)
Southern Living as inspiration is brilliant -decor to refreshments if you can serve them!

I was just about to say that! Took the words right out of my mouth.
Also- I would caution against using hay bails. It's possible that one of your sisters is allergic, and probably darn close to certain that one of the PNMs is! I can't imagine trying to get through a whole party while having a reaction to the hay... :o