GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Switching Fraternities (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=102462)

g8torb8 01-17-2009 10:41 PM

Switching Fraternities

last semester i joined a frat at uf, was a freshman, thought it was rly cool. so i got initiated. but now it seems like its been getin kinda sucky. not a hole lot goin on there. so im wondering, if i drop out and am stripped of my letters, then is it ok to join another frat?

Senusret I 01-17-2009 10:55 PM

No.

preciousjeni 01-18-2009 12:11 AM

It's also not ok that you're a college student writing in that manner. Troll?

g8torb8 01-18-2009 02:19 PM

Ok, I apologize if you feel grammatical accuracy is so important on an internet forum. However, there must be some steps that could be taken. Or if it simply wasn't mentioned, might I slip through the cracks?

Senusret I 01-18-2009 02:25 PM

No.

Unregistered- 01-18-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g8torb8 (Post 1767119)
Ok, I apologize if you feel grammatical accuracy is so important on an internet forum.

If you want anyone to even take you or your posts seriously, you might want to reconsider the importance of grammar and spelling on an internet forum.

You're the one asking for help, remember? :rolleyes:

golfer11 01-18-2009 02:26 PM

I go to the University of Alabama and in Alabama there are laws that will not let you join another fraternity after you have already been initiated.

Unregistered- 01-18-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfer11 (Post 1767124)
I go to the University of Alabama and in Alabama there are laws that will not let you join another fraternity after you have already been initiated.

What kind of laws? State of Alabama laws? You'll get arrested if you try to initiate into another fraternity?

Care to cite your source? I'm curious.

g8torb8 01-18-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTW (Post 1767123)
If you want anyone to even take you or your posts seriously, you might want to reconsider the importance of grammar and spelling on an internet forum.

You're the one asking for help, remember? :rolleyes:

ok, point taken

g8torb8 01-18-2009 02:34 PM

Here's something I find puzzling. I can find the NIC webpage easily, (though having trouble finding a comprehensive list of rules). However I can't find anything for IFC. I'm not entirely sure what distinguishes them, but IIRC, the rule is that you can't be in more than one NIC fraternity. However, there are some IFC fraternities that are not in the NIC (like phidelt). So how would those rules apply?

LucyAnne17 01-18-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g8torb8 (Post 1767129)
Here's something I find puzzling. I can find the NIC webpage easily, (though having trouble finding a comprehensive list of rules). However I can't find anything for IFC. I'm not entirely sure what distinguishes them, but IIRC, the rule is that you can't be in more than one NIC fraternity. However, there are some IFC fraternities that are not in the NIC (like phidelt). So how would those rules apply?

ugh. Do you really think once you drop out of one fraternity that another is going to be stupid enough to let you join theirs?

33girl 01-18-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g8torb8 (Post 1767129)

NIC = National Interfraternity Conference - the national body.
IFC = InterFraternity Council - what you call the individual group on campus.

Depending on your campus, you may have fraternities, like Phi Delt or Kappa Sigma, that are on your campus's IFC but no longer affiliated with the NIC nationally. They are not part of another national body though.

The NIC doesn't really make a lot of rules like the National Panhellenic Conference (i.e. the sorority governing body) does. Really your best bet is to look thru the rules of the group you are looking at dropping and the group you are looking at pledging.

Of course, even if both say it's OK fine to do, there is a chance that no other chapters at UF will want anything to do with you because of your association with the first group.

LaneSig 01-18-2009 05:39 PM

g8torb8-

What's "sucky" about your chapter? (without naming your org) You obviously felt some connection to it to begin with; what happened?

Even though UF is a huge campus and has many Greeks, I doubt that you would be able to drop out of your current GLO, go through rush, pledge another group, and not be found out. Surely your current brothers would see/notice you walking around at some point with your new pledge pin or party t-shirt on. Also, I would think that some members of other GLOs already know you are a member of your current group and would know you are not eligible to join another group. Even within a huge Greek organization, it is a "6 degrees of separation" that someone would know what you are trying to pull. Don't embarass yourself and become a campus joke.

If your current chapter is lacking something, why don't you try to be the change you want to make? Get a couple of other brothers on your side and try to make things happen.

KSUViolet06 01-18-2009 05:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to pledge another fraternity without somebody knowing that you dropped out of one.

People in fraternities do talk.

preciousjeni 01-18-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g8torb8 (Post 1767119)
might I slip through the cracks?

A bunch of NIC fraternity founders just rolled over in their graves and they can't figure out why.