GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   How to impress a frat? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=122158)

Kirain 09-27-2011 06:03 PM

How to impress a frat?

So I'm a third year and I'm not a transfer student. My friends from freshman and sophomore year didn't like the greek system so I was always scared of rushing. Long story short, I decided it's time for me to do things for myself and stop thinking what other people thought.

So anyways, I approached one of the top houses today and I could tell they weren't too enthusiastic about me. I went in not realizing they were one of the top houses and I'm not sure if I left an impression. They asked if I played any sports (which I didn't) and one of the bros completely turned his back on me to chat with a couple freshman. In the end, two of the bros told me I should go to info night and stuff but I could tell they just told me because they were polite.

I don't even know if I would want to join them even IF I got a bid from them (I heard they do some serious hazing stuff) but I wish I could at least be in good standings with them so I can have more options.

So suggestions on how I can impress these "cool kids from high school" type of frat?

BraveMaroon 09-27-2011 06:04 PM

For starters, don't refer to them as a frat.

Kirain 09-27-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveMaroon (Post 2095815)
For starters, don't refer to them as a frat.

What's that suppose to mean?

DeltaBetaBaby 09-27-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirain (Post 2095814)
So I'm a third year and I'm not a transfer student. My friends from freshman and sophomore year didn't like the greek system so I was always scared of rushing. Long story short, I decided it's time for me to do things for myself and stop thinking what other people thought.

So anyways, I approached one of the top houses today and I could tell they weren't too enthusiastic about me. I went in not realizing they were one of the top houses and I'm not sure if I left an impression. They asked if I played any sports (which I didn't) and one of the bros completely turned his back on me to chat with a couple freshman. In the end, two of the bros told me I should go to info night and stuff but I could tell they just told me because they were polite.

I don't even know if I would want to join them even IF I got a bid from them (I heard they do some serious hazing stuff) but I wish I could at least be in good standings with them so I can have more options.

So suggestions on how I can impress these "cool kids from high school" type of frat?

Why do you want to impress a fraternity that isn't interested in you? Why don't you look at other groups that may actually like you?

AnotherKD 09-27-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirain (Post 2095816)
What's that suppose to mean?

*supposed

Also, it is "fraternity", not "frat". That's what it is supposed to mean.

33girl 09-27-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirain (Post 2095814)

You're in college. Stop acting like you're in high school. Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy) with brothers (calling them bros is tacky, trashy and overly familiar) that are interested in you and what you have to offer.

knight_shadow 09-27-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2095818)
Why do you want to impress a fraternity that isn't interested in you? Why don't you look at other groups that may actually like you?

I agree.

thetalady 09-27-2011 08:09 PM

I have decided that all of these newbies who come on & start their posts with "So..." followed by a completely ridiculous question are the same troll. Notice how many of them do that?

Kirain 09-27-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2095845)
I have decided that all of these newbies who come on & start their posts with "So..." followed by a completely ridiculous question are the same troll. Notice how many of them do that?

I am asking a legitimate question. I know the people on here have said why not just join the fraternity that you like and one that likes you back...but honestly, everyone wants to be in a good respected fraternity. That means top houses are more desirable even if the initial connection isn't all that great. It's natural, just like people want to rub shoulders with celebrities, rushees want to be associated with top houses.

Obviously a fraternity's social status isn't everything. But it does make a difference, say for example if their personalities seem just "ok" but I got a bid for the top houses, I would probably pick that over a fraternity with "great" personality but gives out bids to everyone.

Kirain 09-27-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2095821)
You're in college. Stop acting like you're in high school. Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy) with brothers (calling them bros is tacky, trashy and overly familiar) that are interested in you and what you have to offer.

Thank you for being helpful. I did not know that, I will refer to them as fraternity from now on.

MysticCat 09-27-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirain (Post 2095846)
I am asking a legitimate question. I know the people on here have said why not just join the fraternity that you like and one that likes you back...but honestly, everyone wants to be in a good respected fraternity. That means top houses are more desirable even if the initial connection isn't all that great.

No, honestly everyone does not. You want to be in the fraternity where you fit best. Who cares if that's not the "top" house. (And whose opinion of "top" counts?)

Bottom line -- you won't impress them by trying to impress them. It doesn't work that way. Be yourself, or both you and they are in for disappointment later. If you want brotherhood, then go for the group where you think you'll find that and where they see that potential in you. But if all you want is status and image, then by all means focus on the "top" house.

DrPhil 09-27-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2095821)
Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy because the particular council-conference-culture of fraternities that you are talking about do not use "frat")....

There you go.

jazing 09-28-2011 12:12 AM

Better suggestion ...

Join a fraternity for the brotherhood, and make it have that star image.

steveg 09-29-2011 03:36 PM

Joining a "FRATERNITY" can be life changing!

Why?

You meet guys you know now and after graduation. It is called networking.

But, while they may not be one of the large ones, the important part ie do you fit with them?

That is important.
What can you give them and visversa?

Hey, I only know it was uplifting for me!:)

DubaiSis 09-29-2011 03:55 PM

If there are more than just a few fraternities on your campus, there are probably a few "top" chapters, a few "bottom" chapters, and several chapters that would be perfectly respectable. Cast a wider net.

WindyCity 09-29-2011 04:32 PM

Whether it's fair or not, rushing as a junior puts you at a disadvantage. The chapters with the "cool guys" are simply going to have more guys interested in them, so they are going to look for the guys who match their profile or have more years to be a part of the chapter.

Like the previous poster said, you need to cast a wider net. Go to the chapters that would be a good fit for you, not where it may not be a good match in the long run. Be prepared to articulate why you want to join as a junior without saying anything that could be a "red flag" about your sincerity or your ability to fit in. If you have friends in fraternities, go there first because they can maybe pull you in. Ask your female friends on campus which chapters they would recommend or if they could put in a good word for you. In other words, use your network.

I, too, was not athletic and delayed joining for different reasons. I then joined one of the "rebuilding" chapters on campus and had no regrets. I made some great friends and building the chapter together became one of our common bonds. Going Greek enabled me to meet many more people on campus than I would have otherwise.

barbino 09-29-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveg (Post 2096258)

Why?

But, while they may not be one of the large ones, the important part ie do you fit with them?

That is important.

Bonus! A smiley! :)

Evan0g 10-02-2011 02:28 PM

The biggest thing for you to do is not change who you are. If you're not their type, stop trying, and move on to a different fraternity. Even if you manage to impress them and become a brother, you're not going to have a good time since you're not being true to yourself. Also, I think this concept of "top fraternity/sorority" is kinda BS because it's just a matter of opinion and that title can change very quickly. To give you an idea, one of the lowest ranked sororities on our campus is now the second highest ranked in the course of one year. Join a fraternity that you like and are comfortable with. Even if they aren't one of the "top" fraternities YOU can be the person, and make the difference that will make it number one.

ree-Xi 10-02-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveg (Post 2096258)

Why?

That is important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbino (Post 2096278)
Bonus! A smiley! :)

Well, he couldn't avoid them completely, or it would appear that he's trying too hard.

YSUTeke1992 11-25-2011 07:37 PM

The best way to impress a fraternity is to NOT try to impress them. If you go in there talking about what you've done or how much money you have, they probably won't like you. Show 'em who you are, and if they like you, they like you. There's not much else that can be done, to be honest.

sigtau305 11-25-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2095818)

I agree with this post

wareagle93 11-25-2011 10:12 PM

I'm no expert, but here are some tips:

1.) Just be yourself, have fun with it, soak everything in
2.) Meet some of the brothers in the Fraternity & have a positive/friendly attitude
3.) It wouldn't hurt to research a little bit about the organization(s) you plan on visiting before your visit(s). See what they're all about; their beliefs, philanthropy efforts, various activities they do, etc.
4.) Going along with #3, if they ask what you did in high school, see if you can relate any of it to their philanthropy efforts and beliefs.

Kirain 12-06-2011 08:40 AM

Hey guys. Just a little update, I didn't rush for them. I figured if I didn't like them, why would I want to be part of them even if they are considered "top" house.

I actually rushed for two fraternities and got in both. One social IFC and one professional. It's been a real eyeopening experience thus far. :)

LaneSig 12-06-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirain (Post 2110465)
Hey guys. Just a little update, I didn't rush for them. I figured if I didn't like them, why would I want to be part of them even if they are considered "top" house.

I actually rushed for two fraternities and got in both. One social IFC and one professional. It's been a real eyeopening experience thus far. :)

Congratulations. Enjoy your new member period and, most important, make your grades! You don't want to miss out on initiation.