GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Starting a New Fraternity (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=86129)

JamesTGarner 04-04-2007 10:29 PM

Starting a New Fraternity

I'm looking to actually start a new fraternity, not just a chapter of another one. I know it would start by making a club and getting people to join, do some fund raisers and social events, but what else needs to be done. What are all the steps to starting a fraternity and then becoming nationally recognized. I know it takes time, but can someone provide some kind of timeline to maybe what needs to be done whether it is legal, people to talk to, or events to hold?

TheFratBoyNews 04-08-2007 12:57 AM

I am wondering your reasons for wanting to start your own organization, as opposed to establishing a new chapter of an existing fraternity.

You may want to explain you reasoning, otherwise people here would think you believe something is wrong with the organization they are a member of, and committed to.

And then you not likely to get much help.

Tom Earp 04-08-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesTGarner (Post 1424260)
I'm looking to actually start a new fraternity, not just a chapter of another one. I know it would start by making a club and getting people to join, do some fund raisers and social events, but what else needs to be done. What are all the steps to starting a fraternity and then becoming nationally recognized. I know it takes time, but can someone provide some kind of timeline to maybe what needs to be done whether it is legal, people to talk to, or events to hold?

First off, it will take an extremly huge amount of time if you are looking to start out as a local per se and expand to a lager chapter basis.

It takes 15 years normaly to be accepted by NIC as a member. Expanding to other campuses is never easy to say the least.

Depending on your campus size and what GLOs are there is a start. How is your school in accepting any new group, how about the students, the size and is there a need?

Expansion today could take 5-10 years at least if evr.

You have a huge chore ahead of you if you decide to go for it.

Good luck in any advent.

Kevin 04-08-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesTGarner (Post 1424260)

Good luck to you.

rufio 04-08-2007 06:57 PM

good luck as well. it can be done. my chapter of DU started from nothing. we started from nothing, then to a local fraternity in 2002 and then joined with Delta Upsilon and we finally got chartered as a full fledged chapter of DU in 06.

omeganu 10-01-2007 11:21 PM

I applaud the idea! I started my own Fraternity 7 years ago. We are going strong at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and we're already expanding. I will admit it helped to have a chapter house already lined up and we operate more as a business supported by brotherhood. Each chapter has to be an independent business in the state they reside and apart from sharing a ritual and a name, we all work together to support each other's unique aspects. It took the classic idea of a Fraternity and turned it into something I hope is a bit more modern. I'd be happy to give you any advice.

wiggle782 06-15-2008 05:33 PM

A bunch of dudes did this a few years ago... I forget if it was Dartmouth, UConn or UMass or something, but they created a pretty big one a few years ago. There's an ebook on it that explains exactly how to get it done on your own. I think you could just start one on your own way more easily and quickly if you went underground for the first year or two. How to Start a Fraternity

CARL4A1 09-17-2008 02:08 PM

what can i do to start my own fraternity at my school

Hi my name is Carl and im looking to find info about how i can start my own fraternity at my school i currently attend monroe college and ther are no fraternities around right now and i have a group of real close friends whom like my self are interested in starting our own fraternity

LaneSig 09-17-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARL4A1 (Post 1719269)
Hi my name is Carl and im looking to find info about how i can start my own fraternity at my school i currently attend monroe college and ther are no fraternities around right now and i have a group of real close friends whom like my self are interested in starting our own fraternity

#1 - Check with your Student Life/Student Affairs department. Are fraternities allowed on your campus? Ask.

#2 - If they are allowed, has your campus ever had them? Which fraternities had chapters? (This knowledge makes it easier, because many fraternities want to recharter closed chapters.)

#3 - Is there an interest for fraternities on your campus? Your campus is going to want to know if more than just your group of friends are interested in having Greek Organizations. No point in starting a Greek org. and having it close after you and your friends graduate.

Corsulian 09-22-2008 09:24 AM

Good luck with the insurance costs.

fusionburn 01-24-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CARL4A1 (Post 1719269)

Hey Carl, I'm a Columbia student that is also looking to start a fraternity. It might be cool to have the fraternity be at two different schools in NYC

walz99 02-18-2012 02:07 AM

hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 1425994)
Good luck to you.

tanx.....wats ur fraternity?