GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Kappa Kappa Gamma (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Dream chapters (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=92547)

LucyKKG 12-31-2007 02:59 PM

Dream chapters

I stole this from another GLO's thread, but I don't think they'll mind.

Where would your dream Kappa chapter be?

I would love to see the chapter at San Jose State reinstated. My family lives in San Jose, and I want to go to grad school there, so I'd love to help a chapter there.

ISUKappa 12-31-2007 04:37 PM

I would love if the Beta Alpha (UPenn) or Phi (Boston University) chapters could be reinstated, as they're great historic chapters, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

alum 12-31-2007 05:48 PM

Ditto to ISUKappa's wishlist.

Davidson College is an excellent LAC in the Carolinas that allows male fraternities but not sororities. If that policy ever changes, I would be pleased to see us colonize there.

I also like Lehigh, RPI, and Brown for potential colonizations.

LucyKKG 01-01-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alum (Post 1571837)
Davidson College is an excellent LAC in the Carolinas that allows male fraternities but not sororities. If that policy ever changes, I would be pleased to see us colonize there.

Whaaaat! Can they really do that? I know some people argue that only allowing women to be members of sororities (or men in fraternities) is discriminatory, but not allowing sororities on campus is wayyy beyond that.

PetitChou 02-06-2012 10:26 AM

Bumping this thread because I think it's fun!

I would love to see the chapter at UPenn come back, as I live in Philly. I know they just reinstated the ZTA chapter there last spring, so hopefully it's a sign that Greek Life is growing in popularity and a Kappa chapter is a possibility in the not-so-distant future!

Mevara 03-21-2012 02:19 PM

I would love to see Kappa at Chapman University!! It is 15 min from where I live and would love to see more chapters in our area. I am really excited about the expansion presentation and plan on going. If I can go see the other presentation I want to go.

MysticCat 03-21-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucyKKG (Post 1572169)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alum (Post 1571837)

Whaaaat! Can they really do that? I know some people argue that only allowing women to be members of sororities (or men in fraternities) is discriminatory, but not allowing sororities on campus is wayyy beyond that.

Crashing, but since the thread got bumped . . .

It's not quite right to say that Davidson doesn't allow sororities. As I understand it from a number of Davidson alumnae, NPC sororities have not been invited to campus partially because there has never been a strong enough demand for them from Davidson's female students, or to the degree there has been a stong demand from some female students, there has been equally strong or stronger opposition from other female students. Here is a 1998 statement on the subject. Since that time, however, both Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta both have established chapters there (2008 and 2011).

Patterson Court at Davidson includes houses (not full residential houses) for 6 fraternities (KA Order, Kappa Sig, SAE, Sig Ep, Fiji and Phi Delt) and the Black Student Coalition House and MultiCultural House. It also includes four women's "eating houses" -- Connnor, Rusk, Turner and Warner. (Along with AKA and Delta, Alpha Phi Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi have chapters at Davidson. APhiA once had a house on Patterson Court but doesn't anymore.)

About 2/3 of female students at Davidson belong to a women's eating house. Eating houses are a self-selecting with regard to membership, and that seems to be at least in part what differentiates them in the minds of students from sororities.

It's also important to note that fraternities -- at least the NIC fraternities (plus Kappa Sig) -- at Davidson operate a little differently from the way they do elsewhere. Fraternities are also "eating houses" at Davidson, and even if a guy is not offered a bid to any fraternities (whether he went through rush and didn't get any bids or whether he simply chose not to go through rush), he may still select fraternity of his choice as his "eating house." He will then be a "social member" of the fraternity/eating house. He will not be considered a member of the inter/national fraternity and will not be entitled to vote in chapter (or participate in ritual), but will be entitled to participate in all social events. Beta closed its Davidson chapter rather than go along with the idea of "social membership."

amIblue? 03-21-2012 05:14 PM

Mevara - keep us posted on Chapman!

Tulip86 03-21-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mevara (Post 2133564)
I would love to see Kappa at Chapman University!! It is 15 min from where I live and would love to see more chapters in our area. I am really excited about the expansion presentation and plan on going. If I can go see the other presentation I want to go.

Used to live near Chapman and a lot of my friends went there. From what I heard and saw, Greek life was rapidly growing. Loved the campus.

Mevara 03-21-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulip86 (Post 2133611)
Used to live near Chapman and a lot of my friends went there. From what I heard and saw, Greek life was rapidly growing. Loved the campus.

It has grown tremendously! With the addition of the next org it will have doubled in the last 10 years. The university has also expanded moving beyond the main campus.

Mevara 04-26-2012 02:04 PM

Our presentation at Chapman is tonight!! The other chapters presented on Tue and Wed. I am so excited!! From what I have heard they will most likely be doing a stacked expansion with the first group as early as Feb 2013.

Mevara 04-29-2012 06:13 PM

Chapman will be announcing the invites on Wednesday!! (Hopefully) Good news to come!

MSKKG 05-02-2012 11:16 PM

From Chapman's FB and Twitter pages, it appears that Kappa has been chosen to colonize next year!

Mevara 05-03-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSKKG (Post 2143092)
From Chapman's FB and Twitter pages, it appears that Kappa has been chosen to colonize next year!

Yay!! How exciting!!

amIblue? 05-03-2012 07:52 AM

Rah rah for Kappa!